964 Turbo Forum 1989-1994

white light headlights

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-2002, 01:25 PM
tasracer
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question white light headlights

anyone had any expirience w/ those super white h-5 bulbs offered in automotion... my shop says the wattage looks very high even on low beams... i would like to get them while my car is still there if they work well, also can you get them for the fogs?
Old 01-25-2002, 06:26 AM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Talking

I would advise you spend the extra dollars and install H4 headlights. Keep the standard bulbs. Far superior light than your H5s,
Ciao,
Adrian
911C4

PS: Remember when you install bigger bulbs, you current draw to power the lights increases. Besides, they are a pain in the butt to other drivers.
Old 01-25-2002, 02:45 PM
fc-racer
Drifting

Have any of you guys looked into the real HID sealed kits available from Sylvania? They are DOT and Canadian legal as they come with reflectors, bulbs, ballast, etc. all as one unit designed for each other.
http://www.sylvania.com/xenarc/prodinfo.htm

I'm thinking the X5006 would work in our H5 applications?

fc-racer
Old 01-26-2002, 02:42 PM
Tom Pultz
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 98 Likes on 83 Posts
[quote]Originally posted by fc-racer:
<strong>Have any of you guys looked into the real HID sealed kits available from Sylvania?</strong><hr></blockquote>
I've been reading up on those, but I'm going to take a wait and see attitude because of the notes in the 924/944/951/968 group by Iceshark. He claims they have a poorly designed lighting pattern. I'm not sure how he knows this since they were just made available in the last week or so. He may be correct... or he may be just trying to sell his H4 E-code lens and high power bulbs. At $800 US, I'm going to wait until somebody else trys them
Old 01-28-2002, 12:30 AM
fc-racer
Drifting

I got a reply back from the Sylvania people. I didn't realize but the kit comes with FOUR headlamp units! It's designed for the cars with a highbeam and lowbeam seperate. So, to be legal, you'd need four headlamps on your 944 I don't think rally style really suits that car.

I think I'm just going to go with the euro H4's with Philips Xtravision bulbs (highly recommended by the folks who know).

Farzaan
Old 01-29-2002, 03:04 PM
fc-racer
Drifting

I got an additional reply from Sylvania saying that there is an application that will work with our cars that is being launched in a month or two. The details follow:

<a href="http://www.sylvania.com/xenarc/x60246054.htm" target="_blank">Sylvania Xenarc X6024</a>

[quote]Thank you for your interest in SYLVANIA product. By looking at our application guide the '91 911 Turbo would stock a # H6024 sealed beam headlight. The X5006 would not fit this application, but we do offer an X6024 HID upgrade kit that would. This kit is not yet available in stores but is expected to be released later this month. If you are interested in ordering this kit direct through me, I can place the order and your credit card will not be billed until product ships. The cost direct through SYLVANIA is $ 799.00. This cost also includes shipping and handling within the US.

Please let me know if I can assist you through the ordering process, or if you have additional questions that I may answer.

Thank you.

Delilah Jones
OSRAM SYLVANIA
Automotive Lighting
Ph: 800/347-3420
Fx: 800/347-3411<hr></blockquote>
Old 01-29-2002, 07:51 PM
Tom Pultz
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 98 Likes on 83 Posts
[quote]Originally posted by fc-racer:
<strong>I got an additional reply from Sylvania saying that there is an application that will work with our cars that is being launched in a month or two. The details follow:

<a href="http://www.sylvania.com/xenarc/x60246054.htm" target="_blank">Sylvania Xenarc X6024</a>

</strong><hr></blockquote>

<a href="http://store.yahoo.com/rodi/sylxenhidx6s.html" target="_blank">Auto Barn</a> has the Xenarc X6024 listed now for $749.00 with free shipping.

Quick Reply: white light headlights