Notices
964 Turbo Forum 1989-1994

Okay guys is this a daily driver or not?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2002, 12:41 AM
Ross
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Okay guys is this a daily driver or not?

I've recently had the gods smile on me and my search for a daily driver Porsche car has expanded to the 964 turbo realm. I've found an 92 C2 turbo with 49K miles that I'm very intrigued by. I would use the car for a daily driver, around 30 miles round trip of highway driving. The car has been very well maintained. It is our local Porsche dismantlers personal car. The car is yellow with black cloth RS America lightweight seats.

What do you guys think, would any of you drive your car that much? Do any of you currently drive close to 12K miles/year? Am I crazy or should I just go ahead with the 951 purchase for the daily commute?

All of your comments are appreciated.

Ross
Old 01-23-2002, 10:12 AM
JBH
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Personally, I don't see the problem with a C2 Turbo as a daily driver. It just means you will do maintenance more often, but as long as you have a reasonable reserve of cash for that, then why not?

Before you buy, just a couple of suggestions - get the PPI done and save some money for an alignment/corner balancing, tires, valve adjustment, etc. Depending on your driving habits, you could be going through a set (maybe even two)of rear tires a year.

Have fun - post pictures when you get the car.
Old 01-23-2002, 02:08 PM
slevy951
Former Sponsor

Ross-

Is that the one at Okla Foreign? Priced around $30K? I though that one had a salvage title......
Old 01-23-2002, 02:30 PM
fc-racer
Drifting

If your daily commute includes highway driving mostly, then you will love the C2T as a daily driver. If your commute includes mostly city driving, you will not be as loving using this car for a daily driver.

My commute is a 15km city drive. The roads are badly grooved from trucks, etc. and the pavement is pretty rough so it's not very pleasant. We also have tons of traffic lights which makes the heavy clutch almost unbearable.

But, when I get the chance to go on the highway or play on our beautiful twisty roads, this monster just comes alive. The car literally begs you to take it to the track.

Fuel consumption is also ridiculous in the city. I'm seeing 25-30L/100km in the city right now with aggressive driving!

A 944 Turbo S makes one heck of a street car, its way more comfortable than the 911 and the controls are much easier to find and work with. If I could afford to keep my old Turbo S, I would not have sold it, I loved that car.

I think the perfect street/track car is the 1996 911TT with it's light clutch and controls feel, it is a great street car that can destroy anything short of a full-on race car at the track.

Farzaan
Old 01-23-2002, 04:57 PM
Ross
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Scott,

Yes that is it. It does not have a salvage title. It was a theft recovery and they had to give it an Oklahoma VIN b/c of the theft. They do that to keep folks from buying the stolen parts and repairing it with them. It is a very good deal for someone. If it would have come up this summer I'd have already bought it. Things have slowed down so I have to put more thought into fun purchases these days.

I can buy a very nice 951 for around 1/6 th what the C2 turbo cost so I'm up in the air. I really want the C2 and may kick myself down the road if I don't do it now.

Ross
Old 01-23-2002, 05:00 PM
fc-racer
Drifting

Originally posted by Ross:
<STRONG>Scott,

Yes that is it. It does not have a salvage title. It was a theft recovery and they had to give it an Oklahoma VIN b/c of the theft. They do that to keep folks from buying the stolen parts and repairing it with them. It is a very good deal for someone. If it would have come up this summer I'd have already bought it. Things have slowed down so I have to put more thought into fun purchases these days.

I can buy a very nice 951 for around 1/6 th what the C2 turbo cost so I'm up in the air. I really want the C2 and may kick myself down the road if I don't do it now.

Ross</STRONG>
If you can get one, buy a 1989 944 Turbo or a 1988 944 Turbo S. They are amazing cars and leaps and bounds better than the regular 944 Turbos. A mild chip upgrade gives you 270hp and 272ft-lb torque to the wheels (~300hp/300ft-lb at the flywheel). The car has an excellent suspension under it and you won't have to modify anything.

With the C2T, the stock suspension is pretty horrible, not very well balanced and definitely not sporty. Like I've said a million times, I loved my 944 Turbo S and still miss it a lot.

Farzaan

Quick Reply: Okay guys is this a daily driver or not?