964 Turbo Forum 1989-1994

3.6t dyno results in!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2002, 09:10 PM
tasracer
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Talking 3.6t dyno results in!!

steinel's autowerx of twinnsburg, oh just dynoed my 3.6t... after upping the boost to 1 bar ( w/ a 1.2 spring), adding a p-flow air box/ cone filter and dumping the muffler w/ a "j" pipe we ended up w/ 345 at the rear wheels...hmm 345 x 115% = wow!!at the crank
Old 01-10-2002, 10:33 PM
Joe@Fabspeed
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 43 Likes on 19 Posts
The 1994 3.6L Turbo is one fast car......just puton a catbypass pipe and a couple of simple bolt-ons and she kicks like a MULE! Supercar.....whos catbypass pipe did you use?
www.Fabspeed.com

P: 215-646-4945
F: 215-646-9828

Exotic Car Performance Experts
Porsche, Ferrari, Lamborghini, McLaren, Maserati, Bentley, Aston Martin, BMW, Audi and Jaguar.

31 year PCA Club member supporter
14 year Ferrari Club member
1st ever financial supporter of Porsche Fans/ Rennlist
Old 01-11-2002, 01:20 PM
tasracer
Burning Brakes

didn't use a cat bypass... kept the cat on as i was advised by many people ( GHL, imagine auto, etc. ) now for those headers i'm saving for... if i do the headers i'll dyno again an post the results
Old 01-15-2002, 11:55 PM
Mark S.
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Why keep the cat on? I see no benefit from this.

Mark
Old 01-16-2002, 12:58 AM
PorschePhD
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Mark,
We found that with the cat in place and the muffler gone the balance of backpressure was just right. We were able to pull more HP than if we removed it and ran only a muffler. These test were done with headers only. The other issue is it keeps the cars legal. We hope to introduce 100cell cats in the near future. Once again we will dyno and compare the two.
Best,
Stephen
Old 01-22-2002, 08:15 AM
Joe@Fabspeed
Addict
Rennlist Member

Rennlist
Site Sponsor

Received 43 Likes on 19 Posts
you have to get that catalytic conveter off the car........its a big source of backpressure and lost power. Everytime we put a catbypass pipe on a 1994 3.6Turbo its smokes the tires.

The 2ndary stock Porsche OEM muffler on any & all C2Turbo offers no backpressure and performs better inconjunction with a C2 Turbo fabspeed Motorsport catbypass than any muffler that GHL, Mille Miglia, or B&B fabrication has ever made that attaches directly to the turbocharger. If power and performance is paramount then the catalytic has to go........if emissions is a priority but maximum performance is 2nd then leave the catalytic converter on. BUT STILL there only 5 bolts holding the catalytic conveter on and 1-2 hours EVERY 1-2 YEARS to pass emissions is a piece of cake.

FABSPEED Motorsport make the finest C2 Turbo catbypass pipe that fits perfectly and has attachment points for the airinjection and heatducting that the others simply dont offer. Fabspeed has 100cell racecats in stock too in raw form for sale if you need them.

Have great day

Performance for the next millenium[*]http://www.fabspeed.com/965C2Turbocatbypass.gif
Old 01-23-2002, 12:40 AM
MFuller
Advanced

My white '94 GrandPrix White Turbo 964 got the following:
377.7 actual hp & 379.7 ft-Ibs. torque at the rear wheels

My Black one's stock, haven't dyno'd it .
Old 01-23-2002, 12:42 AM
MFuller
Advanced

forgot the details:
PowerHaus hybrid KKK 11 turbo hot,
PowerHaus polished intercooler / B&B headers and sport muffler,lightweight clutch & flywheel, custom airbox,
1 bar boost spring
Old 01-23-2002, 10:23 PM
Mark S.
Instructor

My car dynoed at 370HP to the rear wheels. I don't think I would get much difference by keeping the cat and dumping the muffler.

I saved 42lbs off of the rear end by putting on the B&B muffler and dumping the stock muffler and cat. Plus I saved 40lbs dumping the stock header/heat exchnagers. That 42lbs alone probably has more effect on real rubber hits the road perfornace than keeping the stock cat in place and gaining a few HP. Of course 82lbs total was even better.

I'd like to see the results of what you're claiming - exactly how many HP incremental?

And, as to smog - no problem. My car passes California smog (the most restrictive in the U.S.) with no cat as should any well tuned Porsche turbo.

Mark
Old 01-24-2002, 12:55 AM
MFuller
Advanced

Mark S.
New User
User # 522 said:
<<'d like to see the results of what you're claiming - exactly how many HP incremental?>>

who are you talking to?

PS. No your car won't pass CA smog unless you "know someone" because one half of the Test is visual and you'll get booted out of every shop from LA to SantaBarbara for sure just for lack of Cat.
Old 01-24-2002, 02:18 PM
Mark S.
Instructor

I'm talking to PorschePhD.

I'm happy to email you the results but what I think I'll do is try to post it to the list - if I can't get it to post then I'll email you directly.

As to smog you might fail visual inspection but no one - ever - has looked or asked the question "where is the cat?". So I don't know what smog shop you're thinking of but I'd avoid Goodyear or Sears.

Besides they'll probably try to stick the testing wand up your wastegate pipe and in the process scratch your rear decklid and bumper and then give you a stupid look and ask you why they're getting no reading??? Duh??

So my point is if you can't bull**** some lame technician about where your cat is then don't ever come to my card game. Just point to the wastegate - they'll never figure it out. And as to the actual 'smog test' no problema - passes every time - you just have to tell them where to stick the wand.

Mark

Porsche
Originally posted by MFuller:
<STRONG>Mark S.
New User
User # 522 said:
&lt;&lt;'d like to see the results of what you're claiming - exactly how many HP incremental?&gt;&gt;

who are you talking to?

PS. No your car won't pass CA smog unless you "know someone" because one half of the Test is visual and you'll get booted out of every shop from LA to SantaBarbara for sure just for lack of Cat.</STRONG>
[img]null[/img] null
Old 01-25-2002, 02:38 PM
Mark S.
Instructor

My dyno results as promissed.

Mark

Mark
Old 01-26-2002, 04:05 PM
tasracer
Burning Brakes

just curious... i see that w/ more mods its easy to get 370+ at the rear wheels (MFuller, Mark S) but are the the torque #'s a bit off? my first dyno run was at 341.3 hp and 391.3 ft-lbs torque, though torque did fall off on following runs as the car got hot.. is it the headers maybe? up the hp but lose some torque?
Old 01-28-2002, 12:33 AM
fc-racer
Drifting

[quote]Originally posted by tasracer:
<strong>just curious... i see that w/ more mods its easy to get 370+ at the rear wheels (MFuller, Mark S) but are the the torque #'s a bit off? my first dyno run was at 341.3 hp and 391.3 ft-lbs torque, though torque did fall off on following runs as the car got hot.. is it the headers maybe? up the hp but lose some torque?</strong><hr></blockquote>

In my experience with turbo cars, I'd say that you are running more boost in the mid-range then they are which is why you get more torque but lower hp than they are. A good set of headers on a turbo car will increase torque everywhere, not just at the top end or low end, but everywhere. Turbo cars already have more than enough backpressure from the turbo, anything you can do to reduce backpressure after the turbo or pre-turbo helps.

It would be interesting to hear what boost pressure both of you are running.

fc-racer
Old 01-28-2002, 06:44 PM
Mark S.
Instructor

I'm running 1 bar boost.

The max torque and hp are very consistent and near equal on all runs.

Mark

Quick Reply: 3.6t dyno results in!!