Notices
964 Turbo Forum 1989-1994

pre purchse inspection - what to look for??

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2002, 02:01 PM
A red blur..
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post pre purchse inspection - what to look for??

Hi guys,

Just put my name down to join your illustrious ranks with a blue on linen 92 turbo (if interested it was listed on Ebay..). I'm moving up from a 93 RSA.

Now's the interesting part - checking it out and handing over the $$'s. I've spoken with the shop that's looked after the car for the past couple of years and they rate it well. It appears to have the money spent on it to look after it.

Here's the brief - engine out, new seals, clutch, cam timing, 1 bar spring added - all done at 25k miles.

Is there anything apart from the obvious - straight, no body work, etc that you'd recommend I look at with this car?

Thanks

M
Old 08-16-2002, 04:49 PM
SonnyV
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
M,

Congratulations and welcome to the club.

I have the same Turbo model year as yours. Why would the car need that much attention with just 25k miles. How many miles is on the car now? My car has 41xxx miles now and it running strong with all original stuff.

I would check very carefully that all electronic items are working correctly such as heat, AC, windows, sunroof, headlight washers...

Do you have the car PPI (Pre Purchase Inspection) done by a Porsche mechanic who knows about Turbos? That is very important. It will cost you money to have it done, about $200, but it is money well spent. If you don't, I would not buy this car unless there is clause in the contract that guarantees the car in working order. Make sure you have the compression and leakdown tests to make sure the engine is healthy. Is there smoke during start up, during driving or when you back off the gas...

I would check inside the front trunk for evident of frontal damage such as the color of the fenders' bolts. They should have the orginal paint with some orange color marking on them, or else they could be removed and or replaced. Why?

Check the bolt that hold the door to the car's body. They should be upsidedown, or else the doors were removed at some point for some reason... Why?

You have a RSA, so, I assume you already know alot about Porsche in general. As far as Turbo specific, there is a leveler on the left side below the left/right signal. It is for the computer in the tach. Try to switch it (cycling) to make sure all functions are working. During a drive, try to put it in the bar (boost) mode and drive the car on boost. It should read 0.7 bar max when you are fully on boost with heavy load on the gas pedal. Even though you have a 1 bar spring, the computer can only read out to .7 bar.
There are a lot more, but I don't even know where to start. If you have specific questions I might able to help out...

Good luck,

Sonny

Quick Reply: pre purchse inspection - what to look for??