964 Turbo Forum 1989-1994

Ticking sound during warmup

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2002, 05:21 AM
Patrik S
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Post Ticking sound during warmup

I have a 1991 3.3 turbo with 76000km with no mods exept 0.85 bar wastegatespring installed from the factory.

During the last few weeks I have started to hear a ticking sound when the engine is cold. I think the ticking is coming from the left side of the engine. My first thought was that it´s the valves. I spoke to a good porsche mechanic and he said it could also be a cylinder that on turbo engines sometime can be a little loose and then adjust then the engine gets hot.

The service intervalls is that the valves were adjusted at 40000km and is adjusted at the big service at 80000km. With my driving 80000km will be in september.

1. If it´s the valves and they do not tick when the engine is hot is it OK to drive it until the 80000km service? (I do drive it on trackevents!)

2. Does anyone know of this cylinder "ticking" syndrome?

/Patrik
Old 07-04-2002, 08:17 AM
Vince5
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hi Patrick,

I have just bought my 911 T, same year as yours and I am not a mechanic at all but if I were you I would just leave the car for the 80 000 km service even if it's a bit early and get the problem fixed right away at the same time (especially if you plan to go to the track). You will sleep better !

When I bought mine I left her for service (60 000 km) with a good mechanic close to Eskilstuna. If you need an adress close to Stockholm tell me (I think he could help you quite quickly).
I drove her back to town yesterday evening... What can I say, I am a happy man
Old 07-04-2002, 08:46 PM
Kevin Ross
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Patrick

I'm not technical either, but here goes:

Question: does the ticking sound change in frequency when you rev the engine? I have no explanation to offer, but it does narrow the search band for answers - and it may be the pistons if this is the case.

Also, my 91 Turbo does not exhibit that symptom, it has done 72000km. However, in my '90 C4 (an entirely different engine I know), I did get that ticking sound, and the mechanic at Porsche told me it was normal, and that the 'tappets' self adjust (forgive my lack of techy speak, but I think I got that right).

Hope you sort it out!

Quick Reply: Ticking sound during warmup