964 Turbo Forum 1989-1994

owner's manual

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2001, 07:34 PM
SteveAltman
3rd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post owner's manual

I've just bought a 3.6 Turbo that didn't have the owner's manual. I've been trying to buy one, on the web, from Porsche directly, with no success.

If any member here would be kind enough to copy the owner's manual I would be more than happy to cover all expenses for making the copy, sending it to me, whatever.

Thanks very much for any help, information, or replies.
Old 11-02-2001, 11:13 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 589 Likes on 351 Posts
Where are you? I'm guessing in the US.

I'm sure someone will be able to help you without much delay. There is at least one very helpful US Turbo 3.6 owner that lurks on the board - hi Mike.

However, on the off-chance he or other can't help sooner, then I'd be happy to photocopy my Turbo 3.6 manual when I'm back in New Zealand for Christmas and post it to you.

Anything else missing from the car? I've only just bought mine and it was missing the tyre pump ! It makes you wonder what people do with these things.
Old 11-02-2001, 11:14 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Steve,

While you're here, why not tell us more about the car?
Old 11-03-2001, 11:32 AM
SteveAltman
3rd Gear

Yes, I'm in Boonton, NJ.

Thanks very much for your offer, John. I hope I can find one before Christmas, but if I don't I'd be very grateful if you would make the copy. I've put a message up at the Porsche Turbo Club and maybe there will be a response there.

Actually, I think the manual covers any 964 from 1994, Turbo or not, but I'm not real clear about that. Perhaps, I should put a message up on the 911 forum.

As for the car itself, it's black/black, approx. 20000 miles and runs, well...like a bat out of hell. I have a 86 944 turbo also, but obviously this car is quite different from the 944. I haven't even had a chance to drive it much (just got it this week) but it is definitely quite a rush.

I don't know if I have everything that I should in the car - no manual. The tire inflator is there. There are, however, a whole host of switches, etc. on the dashboard whose functions are a complete mystery to me. I don't even know how to open the sunroof.

Of course, I'll be able to get whatever information I need from the guys who'll be servicing the car (Powertech, Rockaway, NJ - wonderful company) but I just think having the manual would be very useful.
Old 11-03-2001, 06:21 PM
Tabor
Drifting

Pelican Parts sells them for $30.

Edit - That is if the 3.6L is a '93, I don't remeber when it came out.
Old 11-03-2001, 07:03 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Take everything I say with a proverbial grain of salt, as I have only had two days with my car (bought it in New Zealand, but am still working in Vanuatu)

1. I think you're right, the manual is a general 964 one. I distinctly remember all of the 964 power curves being in the back i.e. C2, C4 and Turbo 3.6.

2. The sunroof is operated by a small rocker switch under the instrument binnacle.

3. The only turbo specific tip I've been told is to make sure the turbo is used on each run to drive moisture out of the wastegate to stop it corroding.

4. The correct nomenclature for our cars is Turbo 3.6.

5. My research shows that only 1,437 of these cars were built, 63 of which were RHD (mine is right hand drive). In other words we both have relatively rare cars.

6. The rest of world market had a '93 model, however the US started with a '94 model. Interestingly, the colour preferences were different in different markets. US buyers seem to prefer the black on black, whereas most of the cars I've seem advertised in NZ and the UK are Midnight Blue, Brown or Dark Green; mine is silver (not sure which one).

7. The other Turbo 3.6 owner that I've been in contact with is in NY, and also has a black on black. Someone told me that the preference for black on black was because the whale tail lip is then the same colour as the car, like the 1992 "s" model).

8. I'm constantly astounded by how little mileage owners put on these cars. I know you will probably have it off the road in winter, but averaging 3,000 miles per year is criminal. These cars are beautiful to drive, hope you put lots of mileage on yours.
Old 11-05-2001, 12:53 AM
SteveAltman
3rd Gear

Performance Products says they can get a manual within a week so I've ordered it from them. I hope they come through.

In any case, thanks for all the replies. It's very nice to know that there's a place to get good advice and information.
Old 11-21-2001, 05:51 PM
GeoC2cab
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
High,
Whats up Steve, I'm in Butler N.J., we're gonna try to put a get together in the spring for metro area 964er's, get in touch if it sounds like something u wanna do..
Enjoy that Turbo!
Old 11-22-2001, 03:28 AM
pig4bill
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally posted by John McMillan:
<STRONG>Anything else missing from the car? I've only just bought mine and it was missing the tyre pump ! It makes you wonder what people do with these things.</STRONG>
BTW, a pump that looks identical to the factory one was available from somewhere. I got one for Christmas years ago.
Old 11-22-2001, 05:01 AM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 16 Likes on 16 Posts
Talking

Guys,
You should be aware that there are some fairly important differences between a ROW Turbo 3.6 and a USA 3.6. Mainly in the rear suspension, rear axle etc.
The basic difference is that the US version uses the 1992 Turbo rear end and the ROW version uses the Carrera RS rear end. Ride height on the ROW version is also lower than the US version and with the ROW version it is possible to install 11 inch wheels on the back without too many hassles. Oh yes. The wheel alignment requirements are different. US owners make sure you know this,
Ciao,
Adrian
911C4
Old 11-26-2001, 06:45 PM
fc-racer
Drifting

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally posted by Adrian:
<STRONG>The wheel alignment requirements are different. US owners make sure you know this,
Ciao,
Adrian
911C4</STRONG>
Adrian,

How did Porsche lower the cars for ROW use in the 3.3L/965 series? Did they use shorter springs with different rate shocks or did they just lower the car on the factory adjustable platters?

From what I understand, the factory height adjustment does not go down very low, so I'm curious how the factory did it for ROW cars vs. US/Canada cars.

Thanks,
Farzaan
89 944 Turbo S
91 911 Turbo (deposit going on one in a few days, hopefully!)
Old 11-27-2001, 06:30 AM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Talking

Dear Farzann,
I can only answer for the 964 series. Porsche achieved the differences very cleverly and I finally found the answer for myself.
Firstly the USA/Canada/Japan versions used different insert part numbers for the front struts. The assembly part number is the same and this can confuse people. Now on the rear suspension Porsche introduced an "Additional Spring" which acts like a spacer lifting the rear end. This is actually a 928 part number. Other little parts are slightly different as well.
Now for a 1991 Turbo you need to check the colour code of your springs. They maybe Blue dot. If they are this means these are C2 springs and the ride will be not as stiff as the Green Dot springs.
Ciao,
Adrian
911C4
Old 11-29-2001, 03:59 AM
Adrian
Addict
Lead Rennlist
Technical Advisor
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Talking

Guys,
First I must offer an apology. I decided last night to go through the entire suspension system again. I covered the floor with all the papers, got my totally confused until I marked each ROW or USA and then set to work. I have discovered that in regards to the additional spring on the rear suspension that I was 100% wrong!!. My failure due to how my printer spits out these pages. The additional spring is installed on all 964 suspensions.
I then went to see the differences again from a chaste perspective. Yet again Porsche confuse the issue. The strut insert part numbers are different for all accept the Turbo 3.6. I can find no differences in suspension, not in the mounting parts absolutely nothing. I can only conclude that with the Turbo 3.6 the adjustment perches on the front are set to full top.
The rear spring is different. The USA version uses a standard M030 spring which is a progressive spring (I have a set in the basement) and I am sure is a little longer than the special spring colour code for the ROW Turbo 3.6.
Sorry for the confusion. On some 964s the USA use a different strut inserts. Not on the Turbo 3.6. I now believe that there is either a difference in the body or the perches are adjusted high on the USA versions.
Oh well!! back to square one. I did ask this question myself some time ago on rennlist. I never received any reply. We know earlier 911s were fitted with spacers for the USA ride height. It appears Porsche used a multi pronged approach for the 964 series,
Ciao,
Adrian.
911C4

PS: Special thanks to Michael B. for putting me straight.

Quick Reply: owner's manual