Notices
964 Turbo Forum 1989-1994

New wastegate spring -> 0.85 bar ??!!!

Search this Thread

Old 10-30-2001, 03:12 PM
Staffan
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile New wastegate spring -> 0.85 bar ??!!!

Hi
I fellow 964 Turbo owner told me that his car has a wastegate spring that increase the boost (or rather change maximum boost ?) from the standard 0.7 bar to 0.85 bar.

How does this work, does this spring give me a increased boost by it self, or do I need to change any software to take full advantage of this change ?

Also, how difficult is it to exchange one of these springs on a 1-10 scale ?

/Staffan
Old 10-30-2001, 04:01 PM
Mr Michael B

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts
Arrow

Staffan,

The boost spring swap is very easy. Scale 1-10... Make this one a 2 (for me that is, and at least for anyone I have ever helped do this with).

As for: "or do I need to change any software to take full advantage..." There is no "software" or "chip" in your 964 turbo. Porsche did not give the 911 Turbo a chip to play w/ until the 993TT. So... Change the spring, and your done (the spring IS your "chip").

That swap (going from .7 - .85 bar) may net you 15 HP.

The best way to go on a 964 turbo is an electronic boost control. That way you will have a better boost guage (C2T boost gauge will read no higher than .7) and you will have faster spool than just a spring can give you.
Old 10-30-2001, 04:45 PM
Staffan
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Ok, so the standard "boost control" has nothing to do with software, the spring does all the work. So that would indicate that the companies selling tune-up chips (for the ECU) are not changing the ammount of boost, correct ?

Is there a place where I can find out how I exchange this spring ?

If I am looking for a good price performance electronic boost control unit, what should I look for and how much should I be prepared to pay ?

Thanks in advance!
Staffan
Old 10-30-2001, 08:47 PM
Mr Michael B

Lifetime Rennlist

Received 66 Likes on 55 Posts
Thumbs up

The companies selling ECU upgrades are selling them for 993TT & 996TT versions. Those cars ECU's do have an effect on boost levels. CIS injected cars ('74-'94 turbo 911's) do not have any chip tuning available to them. Most owners/tuners just toss in the $49. 1-bar boost spring. If you really want to do it right though, you go to a place like www.imagineauto.com and tell Stephen you want either an HKS or Apexi EBC (electronic boost control). It will be from $450-$600.

With an EBC you would keep your stock .7 spring & it would become your "valet" setting. Then when you wanted more boost you would simply turn the EBC on & go w/ your presets (to whatever level you desire).

Call the 911 turbo tech line: 1-913-310-9927 and they will walk you through the EZ steps of spring swapping or EBC upgrades.

Glad to help.

Quick Reply: New wastegate spring -> 0.85 bar ??!!!