964 Turbo Forum 1989-1994

Advice on buying this 1994 Turbo?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2001, 09:58 AM
Nick L
5th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Post Advice on buying this 1994 Turbo?

I'm thinking of buying a 1993-1994 Turbo, and would appreciate any thoughts and comments. What do you think of the following car: RPM Motorsports (in Texas) has a 1994 3.6 Turbo, red/cashmere, with 8,500 mi, listed with many options (heated seats, etc.), supposedly in mint condition. They want $77,500.

This seems high to me, given that I've seen many 93-94 Turbo's advertised in the high $40's to high $50's. Any thoughts? Any advice on dealing with RPM Motorsports? Anyone ever buy a car from them?

A related question - I currently have a 1993 911 C2 Coupe, which I absolutely love. Lately I've been thinking of trying to get "more of a good thing" and upgrading to a 964 Turbo (among other Porsche models). What do you think of the driving/ownership experience of a 964 Turbo vs. normally aspirated?

Thanks!
Old 08-12-2001, 10:10 PM
mturo
Intermediate

I have a 91 turbo and if you like fast its a blast. Very quick and solid, I love the anticipation just before the boost comes on.
Old 08-12-2001, 10:14 PM
JBH
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I think the 3.6 Turbo is really a pretty great car with lots of upgrade options.

I am slightly familar with RPM - they are here in Houston, but like you I think they are over-priced so I have never dealt with them directly. RPM seems to focus on serving a clientle that wants exotic autos with low miles. They have no involvement in the local Porsche Club - that says something to me.

IMO, The 3.6 turbo in excellent condition/low miles should sell for high 50's to low 60's. For $77K you can start looking at a 993TT - RPM is way off. I also have a hard time believing you can find a 3.6 for high 40's. You ought to buy it if you can find one in top condition.

Good Luck
Old 08-16-2001, 11:17 AM
Terry Waller
7th Gear

Nick, I own a '94 3.6 turbo, and really believe that you will not be disappointed if you decide to buy one. Stock performance is awesome,and with the 3.6 it is probably the first Porsche turbo with no discernable turbo lag. The October issue of Excellence magazine contains a market price update, and shows the price to be at $63,960 for a car in excellent condition. Add 10% for low mileage and you're in the $70's range, but I believe that mid $60's is about right for a car in great condition. the '94 is relatively rare and desireable, and each time I take it to the track, I seem to attract more attention. Several porschephiles have expressed interest in buying my car, but I really like the combination of rarity, perfomance, creature comforts; and believe that this car is the "one" to own, if like me, you can only own one.
Old 08-16-2001, 10:02 PM
Mark S.
Instructor

Nick,

The 3.6 Turbo is a blast and is easily upgraded for more power.

Ray Joseph sells low mileage cars for top prices. You can find a 3.6 Turbo with reasonable mileage for $60k-$65k. A low mileage car under 10k miles will sell for $70k more or less. I doubt if you will find one in the $40k or even $50k range - that you would want to own that is. Ray's "asking" price is too high.

Only 466 3.6 Turbo's were imported into North America of which 75 of those were Flatnose S models (like mine - RPM has one of these for sale also) and 19 were non Flatnose S models ("package cars").

The 3.6 is very unique as is is the last of the air cooled single turbo production cars. It is very much a rush - an addictive rush at that. That being said you can drive them like an everyday car as long as you don't accelerate too fast - because then the boost comes on and look out.

My 3.6 Turbo S flatnose is actually easier to drive than my 993 C4 Cab as long as your not planting your foot in it.

To learn more about the 3.6 and what can readily be done to upgrade it (all bolt on) visit my website at www.flachbau.com.

The 94' Flatnose S that Ray has for sale at $108,000 is fairly priced.

Good luck!

Mark
Old 08-16-2001, 10:07 PM
Nick L
5th Gear

Thank you for all the feedback - the comments are much appreciated! I have never driven a Turbo Porsche, but the 1994 seems like the one I'd like best - classic body style but with the 3.6 engine (basically, my 1993 C2 but with more power and better handling).

"No discernible turbo lag"? Really? I thought all Turbo Porsches were known for Turbo lag...
Old 08-17-2001, 08:14 PM
Mark S.
Instructor

There is some lag but you get a lot of this out with a different than stock turbo charger.

Mark

Originally posted by Nick L:
<STRONG>Thank you for all the feedback - the comments are much appreciated! I have never driven a Turbo Porsche, but the 1994 seems like the one I'd like best - classic body style but with the 3.6 engine (basically, my 1993 C2 but with more power and better handling).

"No discernible turbo lag"? Really? I thought all Turbo Porsches were known for Turbo lag...</STRONG>

Quick Reply: Advice on buying this 1994 Turbo?