964 Turbo Forum 1989-1994

Fiamm Air Horns

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2012, 06:25 PM
jrgatfh
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Fiamm Air Horns

So this was a small winter project I had that I never had the chance to post.

One of my favorite things about our cars is the sound of our horns. It's so classic and always turns heads on the streets when you give it a toot! Although I've always loved our horns they weren't that loud, to the point where I felt it could be a safety issue if I needed to grab someone's attention on the road (I could barely hear the horn on the highway). Not only was I worried about the decibel level but I loved the tone of the Ferrari air horns even more (Note: our factory horns are actually electric, there is no compressor like the Ferrari horns).

I was able to find a set of Ferrai air horns (the manufacturer is Fiamm) on eBay brand new for a good price. I was able to install the compressor and horns at the same location of our horns without cutting or drilling the body or any wires. All I had to do was bend the factory brackets a little. The power wires for the factory horns had enough juice to power the air compressor and the wire connectors were the same. The horns in my opinion have a nicer tone now. They are louder (i.e. safer) without being obnoxious and now they are real authentic air horns because of the compressor.

I always thought this was a cool little mod while making the car a little safer. Not to mention I'm the type that appreciates little intricacies such as real air horns as opposed to the faux factory ones.

Note: the picture was taken before I connected the wires to the compressor and taped up the remaining connectors that are no longer needed since the horns are now powered by the compressor.

If anyone decides to do this let me know and I'll give you some more tips for a smooth install.

Last edited by jrgatfh; 07-30-2015 at 02:20 PM.
Old 08-12-2012, 11:03 PM
Y65MPH
Pro

Umm....Interesting mod....I can't say that one is on my bucket list. Does it play "dixie" like the General Lee?
Old 08-12-2012, 11:18 PM
jrgatfh
Instructor

No unfortunately it does not lol

It sounds extremely similar to our factory horns, just a slightly different pitch and a little louder.

You can YouTube older Ferrari's to hear what it sounds like exactly.

At some point in the early 2000's a law was passed in the US mandating that all cars have electric horns, that's why you don't see air horns on Ferrari's anymore or any cars for that matter.

Quick Reply: Fiamm Air Horns