964 Turbo Forum 1989-1994

930 vs. 965 vs. 964 RSA

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2012, 06:42 PM
jellonailer
Rennlist Member

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
Default 930 vs. 965 vs. 964 RSA

Dug this old topic up from 2010 - Exact same thing I'm contemplating now. Just looking for a current opinion(s). I also put this up in the 964 and 930 group thinking there could be bias.

"For you 911 gurus out there, how would you rank the 930, 964 RS America, and 964 Turbo based on the following criteria?

1) long-term value retention, assuming same condition and mileage for all three

2) ability to offer driving thrills as a weekend fair-weather car for country back roads. Maybe 1-2 DE's a year

Thanks in advance for your experience and opinion."
Old 07-08-2012, 10:01 PM
Metal Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 429 Likes on 309 Posts

It's hard to beat a 965 for value retention in today's market but a Turbo is significantly more expensive to maintain if you like to do things the right way.
I can't speak to toss-ability of the RS but I find my 965 to be plenty thrilling on country roads.
Old 07-08-2012, 11:08 PM
Y65MPH
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have owned/currently own all three.

930-Great car but the G50 cars are far more modern when it comes to drivability. Pre 89 drives like a school bus. Not a great DE car. If you buy the right car it will continue to increase in value. Hard to modify because of the torsion bar suspension.

964T- Much better driving car than a 930. There are many suspension options if you want to update the performance. Cost of entry is getting a little high. Then figure another 5k in updates and improvements. Better DE car than a 930 but there are much better options. These cars are approaching blue-chip investment grade and will continue to climb.

RS America - Where the other two are hatchets, the RS is a scalpel. No power steering, high compression, twin plug engine, and light weight. A recipe for a great DE car. Not as fun as a 964t in straight line performance but otherwise a real gem. As for value, it will continue to increase and really nice examples are starting to trade at turbo money. Good ones are hard to find as most have been rode hard and put away wet. Thus pushing up the price of good ones.

Good luck and happy hunting

Craig
Old 07-09-2012, 04:50 PM
JRRSA
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Y65MPH
I have owned/currently own all three.

930-Great car but the G50 cars are far more modern when it comes to drivability. Pre 89 drives like a school bus. Not a great DE car. If you buy the right car it will continue to increase in value. Hard to modify because of the torsion bar suspension.

964T- Much better driving car than a 930. There are many suspension options if you want to update the performance. Cost of entry is getting a little high. Then figure another 5k in updates and improvements. Better DE car than a 930 but there are much better options. These cars are approaching blue-chip investment grade and will continue to climb.

RS America - Where the other two are hatchets, the RS is a scalpel. No power steering, high compression, twin plug engine, and light weight. A recipe for a great DE car. Not as fun as a 964t in straight line performance but otherwise a real gem. As for value, it will continue to increase and really nice examples are starting to trade at turbo money. Good ones are hard to find as most have been rode hard and put away wet. Thus pushing up the price of good ones.

Good luck and happy hunting

Craig
Great summary..... Two out of the three here. Loved the RSA, however, the 3.6T is a keeper, wish I could have both. I don't see myself ever getting tired of driving or just looking at the Turbo. In my opinion, it's the ultimate German muscle car. No eletronic gadgets, stability control etc. Just you and the road.
Old 07-09-2012, 07:19 PM
jellonailer
Rennlist Member

Does the story change with a 3.3T?

Finding a 3.6T is a whole different story as is the $$$.
Old 07-09-2012, 08:23 PM
dryheat
Advanced

My opinion on the difference between the 3.3 and 3.6....it depends what you plan on doing with the car. The 3.6 is always going to be the better investment..I think us 3.3 owners can thank the 3.6's value increase on the increase we have been seeing on our cars. A good 3.6 is now out of reach for a lot of folks, so the next logical place to look would be a nice 3.3, resulting in the slightly delayed valued increases we are seeing on the 3.3's. If you plan to drive your car a lot and modify, the 3.3 may be the better platform to start with. For a fraction of the price difference between the two, you can modify the 3.3 to stock 3.6 performance levels and beyond. I think if you had a stock low mileage 3.6 right now, it would be best to leave it alone. Get a nice clean 91 or 92..put some speedlines on it, some bolt on mods...that's a winner in my book..good value that you can drive, enjoy, and should hold its value pretty well. Bottom line, you can't go wrong with either version 964 turbo...it just depends what you're looking for..
Old 07-10-2012, 01:12 PM
Y65MPH
Pro

Jello,

How about turning the 996tt into a DE car and buying an investment grade 930/964T/RS. Will the budget allow that option?

Craig
Old 07-13-2012, 01:58 AM
jellonailer
Rennlist Member

Possible, thats how it started. But the TT is a bit refined even with a tune. Nothing like the other choices and I feel bad if I beat on it.
Old 07-13-2012, 09:20 AM
TT Surgeon
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by dryheat
My opinion on the difference between the 3.3 and 3.6....it depends what you plan on doing with the car. The 3.6 is always going to be the better investment..I think us 3.3 owners can thank the 3.6's value increase on the increase we have been seeing on our cars. A good 3.6 is now out of reach for a lot of folks, so the next logical place to look would be a nice 3.3, resulting in the slightly delayed valued increases we are seeing on the 3.3's. If you plan to drive your car a lot and modify, the 3.3 may be the better platform to start with. For a fraction of the price difference between the two, you can modify the 3.3 to stock 3.6 performance levels and beyond. I think if you had a stock low mileage 3.6 right now, it would be best to leave it alone. Get a nice clean 91 or 92..put some speedlines on it, some bolt on mods...that's a winner in my book..good value that you can drive, enjoy, and should hold its value pretty well. Bottom line, you can't go wrong with either version 964 turbo...it just depends what you're looking for..
^^Very good advcice. 3.6 cars that were available last yr are untouchable now with the recent spike in interest and price.
c
Old 08-07-2012, 11:34 PM
jellonailer
Rennlist Member

So... I bought a 6GT3.

Just couldn't freakin help it.

Quick Reply: 930 vs. 965 vs. 964 RSA