964 Turbo Forum 1989-1994

Is my ABS pump switch leaking ?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2012, 10:28 PM
C2 Turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 184 Posts
Default Is my ABS pump switch leaking ?

Porsche tech said I need a new pump and when I looked at the pump, it does not leave any doubt in my mind that it is the switch that is leaking. I mean, just look at the black plastic below the switch? Why the service tech didn't see it, is beyond my understanding

I have two questions, is the switch screwed all the way in and second, do I need to bleed the system after changing the switch?

Thanks
Attached Images  

Last edited by C2 Turbo; 05-12-2012 at 10:56 PM.
Old 05-14-2012, 07:42 PM
Metal Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 429 Likes on 309 Posts

The PET shows that there is an o-ring for that switch (999-707-094-40). Pelicanparts should be able to get it for you.
Old 05-15-2012, 10:55 AM
ranchin

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had a similar leak last year and had to replace the switch. It was not leaking via the o-ring but was leaking internally to the switch bypassing the o-ring. Not difficult to replace the switch. I did bleed the brakes after installing the new switch. You should also bleed the pressure from the system before unscrewing the switch.
Old 05-15-2012, 07:17 PM
C2 Turbo
Rennlist Member

Received 258 Likes on 184 Posts

Originally Posted by ranchin
I had a similar leak last year and had to replace the switch. It was not leaking via the o-ring but was leaking internally to the switch bypassing the o-ring. Not difficult to replace the switch. I did bleed the brakes after installing the new switch. You should also bleed the pressure from the system before unscrewing the switch.
Please check your PM... Need some pointers as to removing the switch and bleeding the system?

Thanks
Old 05-15-2012, 11:36 PM
Metal Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 429 Likes on 309 Posts

Originally Posted by ranchin
You should also bleed the pressure from the system before unscrewing the switch.
What are you referring to?
The abs pump pressurizes the system at start-up. If your car has been sitting for 24 hours or longer there is no pressure in the accumulator.
Old 05-16-2012, 12:16 PM
Black_Hat
Racer

Received 69 Likes on 61 Posts

The pump runs to get the pressure back up to 180bar
the system (if no leaks) will hold pressure below that for quite some time
You will need a deep socket (I think a thin walled) to remove the pressure switch
You will need to bleed the system to include the bomb after opening
all easy to do with the key on and take one side of the battery loose and off- then touch the battery post with the loose clamp to pressure the system - take clamp off battery to stop pump - bleed
rinse lather repeat

Quick Reply: Is my ABS pump switch leaking ?