964 Turbo Forum 1989-1994

Fuel puddled in intake

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2012 | 08:50 PM
H2O LOL
Pro

Default Fuel puddled in intake

Ok here is the back story.
Hard starts when warm, progressively getting harder. When it does start its because I crack the gas pedal and it barely runs for a few minutes, then all feels fine. Last time during the hardest start yet I noticed the fuel pump got really loud when running. This led me to the fuel accumulator since it fits the bill for the warm start issue ive been having and the sudden fuel pump noise. While replacing the accumulator I took off the upper air intake and there was fuel puddled in it. If I remember correctly this is a sure sign of something bad, I can't remember if it's the WUR going bad or somthing else and I can not seem to find it again in the forums. Any info/links or experience would be graciously taken.
Pre thanks!
Old 04-15-2012 | 01:46 AM
Metal Guru
Rennlist Member

The cold start injector sits right under the T/B. When it goes bad it leaks all the time.
You can troubleshoot it by replacing the banjo bolt in it's supply line (found on the front of the fuel distributor) with a solid bolt,which will block off the fuel supply to the injector. No more fuel puddle means the injector is bad.
Old 04-15-2012 | 02:04 AM
H2O LOL
Pro

Ok, but by upper air intake i mean there is fuel in the metal intake holding the air filters above the mass air meter. Are we on the same page?
Old 04-15-2012 | 10:40 AM
Metal Guru
Rennlist Member

That's the air cleaner. Now we're talking apples/apples. Between the fact that your car will barley run and the fuel in the air cleaner, I bet that you have a ruptured diaphragm in the wur.
There's a rubber vent line that goes from the wur into the air cleaner in case of a diaphragm rupture. Better remove the wur; get it rebuilt as an adjustable one and since you run higher than stock boost, get a heavier diaphragm installed. You can send it directly to Brian Leask (Google adjustable wur) or to Brian Boddart (RarlyL8.com) and he can do an exchange with you.
Old 04-15-2012 | 11:27 AM
H2O LOL
Pro

On it and thanks Metal guru. I will pull it tonight and do some research on digital WURs. Chances are i will send it out Monday for the works since I don't recall anyone raving over the digital one.

Thanks again.
Old 04-15-2012 | 04:39 PM
Metal Guru
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Aquagenic pruritus
On it and thanks Metal guru. I will pull it tonight and do some research on digital WURs.
Search over on Pelicanparts. The story is not a positive one. After you do the research you may conclude that you are better off with a Leask wur.
The possibility of adjusting control pressure with a laptop is appealing but IMO the digital wur is not and may never be ready for prime time.
Old 04-16-2012 | 01:02 AM
H2O LOL
Pro

Done been did. My WUR is heading out tomorrow. Thanks for your input.

Quick Reply: Fuel puddled in intake