964 Turbo Forum 1989-1994

Coilover moronic move

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2012, 10:01 PM
Francisco Martinez
Racer

Received 14 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Coilover moronic move

Don't know how to say this but lets get to it. I have been obsessed with lowering my 3.6 a tack more in the front but don't feel like spending 2K+ at this moment since I use it once or twice a week and never track the car. When I bought the car, it came with coilovers which to me they look like a factory item. The rears have ample adjustment and do not have a lock collar.The fronts, on the contrary I lowered to the max and does have a lock collar.

Today I was kind off bored so went to the garage and cut the lock collar out to lower an extra 1/4". Then I thought, will the single collar be able to withstand the forces

I guess these are the things we do when we think with our car brain. Should I be overly concerned about this? The rears usually use higher spring rates and use one collar? Has any one else been running with one collar on the fronts?
Old 03-05-2012, 11:24 PM
Boeing 717

Received 264 Likes on 159 Posts

Well doesnt one collar lock the other one in place??? If one is missing what going to keep the other one from rotating?? Or am I thinking about this wrong.
Old 03-06-2012, 06:33 AM
Francisco Martinez
Racer

Well the one collar is all the way down so has can n
ot move any more. My concern is that if it were to break, there is nothing to stop tge perch and spring.
Old 03-06-2012, 07:25 PM
Metal Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 430 Likes on 310 Posts

When I bought my car it was slammed and handled and rode pretty crappy. I ended up raising it back up to RS height. How low did you go (measure the bolt head in the front crossmember to the floor)?
Old 03-07-2012, 08:41 AM
Francisco Martinez
Racer

I will have to measure but it is not slammed, I still have close to 1/2 an inch between the top of the tire and fender.

Quick Reply: Coilover moronic move