Notices
964 Turbo Forum 1989-1994

engine fluted with fuel - rods bended ???!!!

Search this Thread

Old 09-27-2011, 02:39 PM
peterpullin
Racer

Received 71 Likes on 60 Posts
Default engine fluted with fuel - rods bended ???!!!

hi,

did one of you out there kill his engine in the garage? think that is the worst death of a porsche...

when i bought my car it had warm start problems, bad idle. so i drove a wile to find out what was wrong with it. after seeking for parts i started to do everything in the porsche manual to find the faulty parts. it was a lot of it after 55tsd miles. not knowing there is little rubber pices in the fuel distributor that can cause huge damage while adjusting system preasure i fluted 2 cylinders with fuel. or better one and a half. no sign of this mistake, no way to find out! so i finished this step, remounted the intercooler and tryed to start. it cranked after a little moment and ended in a klonk.
again: i did not touch the plate in the distributor housing!!!!

it seems lots of fuel were over/in one head and fluted the engine when valves opeded.
after that the engine run fine so far - but getting warmer it started to "scream" from the left side.

i made a compression test and found two cylinders bad. then a leak down test and found all 6 cylinders in great condition. so the only explanation is that there is two conection rods are damaged/bended!

i found the explanation later, when opening the fuel distributor: two of the little rubber sealings in the distributor were damaged. so the fuel was able to reach the injection pipes without moving the plate.

so far so bad. but lets have a look foreward. i will drop the engine on friday or saturday and as soon as i have time, i will open it.

do you think the crank can be damaged too? did one of you had similar experience?
does one of you have a good used set of connecting rods? porsche or others that fit my 91 3.3 turbo?
do you think i should change the head studs as maintenance step - or leave the old ones in if they do not crack while ...!
i once changed a rod in a 2,4 without opening the case. can i do so in a turbo too? i know there is little space - but it worked once.

so far. let me know your ideas about that mess!

stefan

964 turbo 91
2,4E targa 1973
beetle convertible 12/1957
beetle sunroof 5/1957
beetle 1303 convertible
Old 09-28-2011, 12:40 AM
budge96
Rennlist Member

Received 109 Likes on 95 Posts

I doubt seriously the starter can exert sufficient pressure to bend the rods, you may however have what is called hydrolock,where fuel or liquid fills a cylinder and prevents it from cycling through it's normal
sequence or rotation...
Suggest removing plugs and then checking movement of crank,good luck these things are robust it's
not like a Vdub.... Bert

Quick Reply: engine fluted with fuel - rods bended ???!!!