964 Turbo Forum 1989-1994

fuel pump noise?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2011, 06:24 PM
olly964T
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts
Default fuel pump noise?

I`ve had this annoying noise for a while in fact I think its been there since I bought the car a few years ago and maybe its got louder or maybe i`ve just stopped listening to the stereo.

Either way I thought perhaps it was interference from the speakers as it can only be heard from inside the car however I checked it the other week and its not from the speakers. Its coming from the rear right corner of the engine bay but engine is too loud to hear when rear lid is open.

Can also only be heard with engine running. If just ignition on then noise isn`t there.

Any ideas?

Thought maybe it was a fuel pump on its way out but isn`t the 2nd pump underneath the car?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LhxBpccIgaI
Old 05-05-2011, 08:08 PM
Big Jock
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The rear pump is in the right hand engine bay shrouded in rubber.Im going through the same stuff just now.There are 2 pumps,1 front under the floor fed directly from the fuel tank and 1 in the rh rear engine bay.I replaced the rear one because I thought is was goosed and I had already replaced the front one.No difference.I removed the front one and found it was shot(I had driven 5 miles).When the front pump was out I noticed a fuel filter screwed into the bottom of the tank so I removed it and though it wasnt really dirty the plastic gauze had started to disintegrate and I think entered the front pump and wrecked it.I wish I could say all is well now but the parts only arrived today so Ill post the outcome tomorrow.I really wonder how many guys have ever changed that filter.
Old 05-05-2011, 11:40 PM
Metal Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 429 Likes on 309 Posts

Originally Posted by Big Jock
I really wonder how many guys have ever changed that filter.
I'm going to do mine this coming winter when I move the fuel tank forward to replace the vent hose.
Old 05-06-2011, 06:04 AM
olly964T
Rennlist Member

Cheers guys,

Maybe I`m thinking of the fuel pump of the NA cars being underneath.

I assume to change the one in the engine bay i`ve got to remove the intercooled, intake housing etc. Anyone got some DIY nistructions on how to change the rear fuel pump?

Fuel flow was checking last month as part of the installation of the adjustable WUR and RPM switch so i`m not lacking fuel, just a little noisy thats all.

Last edited by olly964T; 05-06-2011 at 12:54 PM.
Old 05-06-2011, 11:49 AM
JamesE
Addict
Rennlist Member

RIP

Power-steering pump?
Old 05-06-2011, 01:29 PM
olly964T
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by JamesE
Power-steering pump?
Initially thought it was that, but can`t you hear that would turn the ignition but not fire the engine?

I`ll see what RC reckons. No doubt it will be like my alternator whine. New hub bearing and alternator just to fix a littel whine.. man why i`m I so obsessive...bloody OCD.
Old 05-06-2011, 05:50 PM
Big Jock
Instructor

Default Purring like a kitten

New tank filter,new front fuel pump,new fuel and all new hoses and clamps and its purring like a kitten.The tank filter is about £25 from porsche and the seal is about £4.Dont order the seal as it comes on the filter.

Quick Reply: fuel pump noise?