964 Turbo Forum 1989-1994

Rollerball the remake

Search this Thread

Old 02-25-2011, 02:33 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,050 Likes on 1,230 Posts
Default Rollerball the remake

So nothing on TV and Rollerball the remake comes on HBO or one of those channels so knowing what a great movie the original one was i decided to give it a go.

Well needless to say it had absolutely no redeeming value whatsoever and was a waste of everything I can think of except the opening scene. I had to turn it off after the first hour it was so bad.

As I started watching this ridiculous sled race down the streets of San Francisco suddenly a 964 turbo black over tan shows up as they swoop one of the riders off his sled and into the car. Car looked great in motion and it appeared to have speedlines but no recognizable badge on the rear lid. A little disappointed to see no cover on the seat belt with an exposed bolt but nevertheless it was a cool scene too bad it went down hill from there.
Old 02-25-2011, 04:45 PM
bogey1
Rennlist Member

Received 220 Likes on 111 Posts

Must have been a VERY slow night anthony! Thats digging pretty deep
Old 02-25-2011, 04:57 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by bogey1
Must have been a VERY slow night anthony! Thats digging pretty deep
Depressingly so. 700 channels 400+ DVD's and nothing to watch. It ended up being a nice evening of listening to some vinyl.
Old 02-25-2011, 08:18 PM
Gandara
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hmmm... Thats a lot of channels... I do not even have a tv. What is that old movie about some deaf or dumb kid who encounters some magical ball, and they are on roller skates, sort of futuristic too. Anyone know?
Old 02-26-2011, 10:04 AM
Metal Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 429 Likes on 309 Posts

Originally Posted by Gandara
Hmmm... Thats a lot of channels... I do not even have a tv. What is that old movie about some deaf or dumb kid who encounters some magical ball, and they are on roller skates, sort of futuristic too. Anyone know?
The original 1975 movie (starring James Caan, John Houseman and Maude Adams) is about a dystopian future where world government, run by corporations, promote a team sport known as rollerball. Rollerball is like roller derby but participants must move a steel ball the size of a shot put ball through a pack of opponents in order to score a point by placing the ball in a basket. The corporations love rollerball because it emphasizes teamwork and self-sacrifice (how many times have you heard that at work?). The top rollerball star is Jonathan E., who is at the height of his athletic powers, but the corporation that owns his team wants him to "retire on top"; the real reason is that Jonathan has become a worldwide star, while the corporations loathe the individuality and independence he now represents. He refuses and a power struggle ensues, culminating a match played with no rules and no time limit (I swear I've played in some hockey games like that). The movie ends with our hero being the last man standing, skating around the rink while the crowd chants his name.

The original is well worth watching as it's noir filming style emphasizes the circumstances of the main character but I wouldn't waste a minute watching the remake unless I was in Anthony's predicament

Last edited by Metal Guru; 02-26-2011 at 10:20 AM.
Old 02-26-2011, 10:23 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Metal Guru
The original 1975 movie (starring James Caan, John Houseman and Maude Adams) is about a dystopian future where world government, run by corporations, promote a team sport known as rollerball. Rollerball is like roller derby but participants must move a steel ball the size of a shot put ball through a pack of opponents in order to score a point by placing the ball in a basket. The corporations love rollerball because it emphasizes teamwork and self-sacrifice (how many times have you heard that at work?). The top rollerball star is Jonathan E., who is at the height of his athletic powers, but the corporation that owns his team wants him to retire on top. He refuses and a power struggle ensues, culminating a match played with no rules and no time limit (I swear I've played in some hockey games like that). The movie ends with our hero being the last man standing, skating around the rink while the crowd chants his name.

The original is well worth watching as it's noir filming style emphasizes the circumstances of the main character but I wouldn't waste a minute watching the remake unless I was in Anthony's predicament

That sums it up.

The first 2 minutes of the remake were worth watching after that one of the worst movies made that I can think of.
Old 02-26-2011, 06:11 PM
hevquip
Racer

Originally Posted by Gandara
The movie you are thinking of is Solarbabies. It's actually sitting in my Netflix queue right now, waiting for me to rekindle a childhood memory with it.
Old 02-26-2011, 06:27 PM
Gandara
Pro

Originally Posted by hevquip
The movie you are thinking of is Solarbabies. It's actually sitting in my Netflix queue right now, waiting for me to rekindle a childhood memory with it.
Yes! Thank you! Have not seen that movie in ages and I cannot remember how it ends. I must go check it out.

Quick Reply: Rollerball the remake