964 Turbo Forum 1989-1994

Engine % trans price and avail

Search this Thread

Old 09-21-2010, 10:44 PM
Lance J
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine % trans price and avail

How much should i budget for a 964 turbo motor and Transmission in bolt in ready condition. Also who sell them with a good reputation??
Old 09-22-2010, 12:32 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,950 Likes on 1,180 Posts

Originally Posted by Lance J
How much should i budget for a 964 turbo motor and Transmission in bolt in ready condition. Also who sell them with a good reputation??
1) 3.3l or 3.6L ?
2) hard to come by either
3) Not sure if there is anyone other than a dismantler that would have them and you would need to check them out before buying or installing.
Old 09-22-2010, 01:33 PM
myturbo36
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Not mine but one for sale on PP for $10k plus has the G50/52 as well

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsc...e-takeout.html
Old 09-22-2010, 05:39 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Received 116 Likes on 82 Posts

G50/52 is not as strong as G50/50. But they are both good gearboxes and kind of the difference between gold and platinum.
Old 09-22-2010, 06:08 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by GTgears
G50/52 is not as strong as G50/50. But they are both good gearboxes and kind of the difference between gold and platinum.
I think you have this wrong. They are both stronger than the G50 tranny but are very similar overall using the same gear ratios. The G50/50 will not fit into a 964 without extensive modifications. the 50/50 was designed to use a separate cross bar mount vs the single integral mount of the G50/52 I believe the G50/52 is considered one of the strongest boxes Porsche ever used.
Old 09-24-2010, 07:47 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Originally Posted by cobalt
I think you have this wrong. They are both stronger than the G50 tranny but are very similar overall using the same gear ratios. The G50/50 will not fit into a 964 without extensive modifications. the 50/50 was designed to use a separate cross bar mount vs the single integral mount of the G50/52 I believe the G50/52 is considered one of the strongest boxes Porsche ever used.
You might want to do a little more homework on this one. The G50/50 and G50/52 are not similar at all other than the fact that they share the same gear ratios.

The G50/52, as used in the 964 chassis, uses the exact same bell housing, center section and tailcone as it's contemporary G50/03 (and 04 and 05) 964 NA counterparts. This is because it uses the same size (smaller) ring and pinion as the NA gearbox. If you want, I can provide part numbers for you and you can look it up for yourself. But other than a few little odds and ends that are beefed up, the G50/52 really doesn't deserve all the praise that is often heaped on it.

The G50/50 on the other hand uses it's own distinct housing and center section because it is the only variant of the 5spd rod shifting family of G50 gearboxes to get a ring gear that's comparible in size to the GT2/GT3 and our modern day water cooled TTs. It is the single most bulletproof 5spd gearbox Porsche ever built for a street car.

As for the rumour that often goes around that the turbo gears in both of these boxes are stronger, it's not true. They are taller ratios than the NA cars got, which takes away some of the stress on them and the mechanical advantage of the car. But they are in no way actually stronger than the NA gears. In fact, if this weren't the case, do you really think so many turbo owners would be regearing their cars with the shorter NA gears without breaking them all the time? The gears are the same, just in different ratios.

You are correct that the G50/50 isn't a direct bolt in for the 964 chassis, but given that the OP was asking about an engine and a tranny I took a chance that maybe he was looking at something other than a stock application for these parts. My suspicion is that these parts may be destined for a kit car or some sort of hot rod potentially using an earlier chassis that's already going to require cutting to install ANY variant of G50. I figured if my comment was useless to the OP he would either ignore it or further enlighten us with respect to his needs.
Old 09-25-2010, 10:19 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

You might want to do a little more homework on this one. The G50/50 and G50/52 are not similar at all other than the fact that they share the same gear ratios.

The G50/52, as used in the 964 chassis, uses the exact same bell housing, center section and tailcone as it's contemporary G50/03 (and 04 and 05) 964 NA counterparts. This is because it uses the same size (smaller) ring and pinion as the NA gearbox. If you want, I can provide part numbers for you and you can look it up for yourself. But other than a few little odds and ends that are beefed up, the G50/52 really doesn't deserve all the praise that is often heaped on it.

The G50/50 on the other hand uses it's own distinct housing and center section because it is the only variant of the 5spd rod shifting family of G50 gearboxes to get a ring gear that's comparible in size to the GT2/GT3 and our modern day water cooled TTs. It is the single most bulletproof 5spd gearbox Porsche ever built for a street car.

As for the rumour that often goes around that the turbo gears in both of these boxes are stronger, it's not true. They are taller ratios than the NA cars got, which takes away some of the stress on them and the mechanical advantage of the car. But they are in no way actually stronger than the NA gears. In fact, if this weren't the case, do you really think so many turbo owners would be regearing their cars with the shorter NA gears without breaking them all the time? The gears are the same, just in different ratios.

You are correct that the G50/50 isn't a direct bolt in for the 964 chassis, but given that the OP was asking about an engine and a tranny I took a chance that maybe he was looking at something other than a stock application for these parts. My suspicion is that these parts may be destined for a kit car or some sort of hot rod potentially using an earlier chassis that's already going to require cutting to install ANY variant of G50. I figured if my comment was useless to the OP he would either ignore it or further enlighten us with respect to his needs.
Interesting I did take your advice and did some research. Everything I find including info from reputable repair shops show and claim the G50/50 and G50/52 use the same bell housing and center section castings. Only the rear tailcone is different.

Although there is conflicting info regarding strength most info points to them being equally as strong using the same ring gear comparable to the ones in the GT2/GT3's. All the G50 boxes use the 240mm clutch. Not one reference I found claimed the G50 n/a tranny's are as strong and they do use a completely different bell and center section castings.

These were the best pictures I can find. from top left G50/50 then the G50/52 and the G50.03 Visually the 50/50 and 50.03 match the trannys in my turbo and C2. I manufacture castings like this for a living and I don't see how yor info can be accurate.
Attached Images       
Old 09-25-2010, 11:45 AM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Anthony,
My apologies. I don't know where my head was yesterday, but you are correct. I was totally talking out my **** on that one...
Old 09-25-2010, 01:44 PM
Bernie930
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

G50/52 HAS a 9" ring gear, is the same trans. basically as the G50/50, but with a different tail housing.
B
Old 09-27-2010, 10:18 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Anthony,
My apologies. I don't know where my head was yesterday, but you are correct. I was totally talking out my **** on that one...
Not a problem we all have the same interest and I am sure I have made more than my fair share of conflicting statements over the years. By revisiting this topic I learned even more about the tannys than I knew before. So it is all good so long as the facts are straight in the end.

Besides what fun are these forums without a healthy debate every now and then.
Old 09-27-2010, 03:01 PM
GTgears
Nordschleife Master

Yep,
There's several forums where my signature says,"I don't care who is right or wrong as long as we end up with the right answer". I'm human and ok with that. Even as an expert in the field I am not always right, especially when I am posting while distracted by other things at work. I came back to this thread later read what I wrote and just thought,"WTF was I talking about?".
Old 09-30-2010, 12:13 AM
budge96
Rennlist Member

Received 103 Likes on 90 Posts

Back to the OP's question...I have a '91 3.3 eng and '94 G50/52 that could be obtained relatively
inexpensively..email me at ecrobinson1726@msn.com for details thanks Bert

Quick Reply: Engine % trans price and avail