964 Turbo Forum 1989-1994

Help plse just starting troubleshoot of aircon

Search this Thread

Old 06-26-2010, 12:07 PM
arjay
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Help plse just starting troubleshoot of aircon

I have a 1993 LHD 964 3.6 Turbo. I live in rural Spain where it gets seriously hot: up to 45C in summer. Each of the last couple of years I have had my aircon checked for leaks and gassed. Now it is 12 months since the last re-gas.

However, at best even after re-gassing, I get a flow of only marginally cold air (cool actually if the truth be told). If I turn the fan up to high it is not even cool. I have tried driving with the recirculation on but it is still hardly worth using.

This is only what I have done so far:

1. I have checked and the compressor clutch engages OK when I turn on the aircon. The clutch stays engaged for all the time I watched it (not cutting in and out as another poster says could be a problem).

2. There is a clear temperature difference on the two pipes above the compressor. One is seriously hot and the other is quite cold (colder than the air in the car that's for sure

I am not near a Porsche agent and in any case could not afford their prices at the moment. However, I have a good engineer at a local garage that works on good quality makes (Mercedes, Audi and the occasional Porsche).

I am going to have him/them look at it but want to know what else I could/should look at first before taking it in.

Many thanks for any help given.

RJ
Old 06-26-2010, 02:51 PM
Boeing 717

Received 264 Likes on 159 Posts

Possible clogged expansion valve or your evaporator fins could be really dirty not letting it do its job. Those are my 2 guesses

I just changed my expansion valve, its a pain in the *** but not too terrible. Removing or replaceing the evaporator is a whole nother story.
Old 06-26-2010, 06:09 PM
arjay
Instructor

Thanks for the tips - going to look 'em up tomorrow and see what;s involved!....
Old 06-26-2010, 08:13 PM
Metal Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 431 Likes on 311 Posts

First check is to verify that the low and high side pressures are correct as per the factory manual or the Bentley "Without Guesswork" book.
Are you running R-12 or R-134a?
Old 06-27-2010, 03:15 AM
arjay
Instructor

Originally Posted by Metal Guru
First check is to verify that the low and high side pressures are correct as per the factory manual or the Bentley "Without Guesswork" book.
Are you running R-12 or R-134a?
I'm afraid that what I know about aircon could be written on the head of a pin. Never had to think much about it before. But having a problem concentrates the mind and I am researching it believe me .

Sorry but I have no idea about whether it is R-12 04 134A. I don't have a workshop manual - more likely to be Google
Old 06-27-2010, 04:52 AM
olly964T
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

Don`t know if this helps, but R12 is the refrigerant that was in the 911 until 1993 (i think). You can recognise the R134a type by the larger expansion valves where the pipes join the compressor. I`ve got R12 (illegal in the uk) on mine and getting it converted to R134a next weekend. They replace the receiver/drier, expansion valves and sometimes the condensor.

Yours probably best to take it to someone skilled up on air-con as oppossed to just any old place that can do regasses.

If yours looks like the pic below then your`ve still got R12 i`d say.

Old 06-27-2010, 10:09 AM
gr1275
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My problem with "cool" air out the vents ended up being traced to the two heater flaps. When the temp **** was set to the blue dot, niether door would completely shut, allowing hot air from the heater boxes to mix with the air conditioned air. The result was cool air at best coming out the vents. I adjusted the two connecting rods and life is much cooler.
However, the first steps should include Paul's advice about high and low pressures. The pressures can tell you if the charge is sufficient and give an indication if there is an obstruction within the system. This could be as simple as the expansion valve and drier fixes Jerry mentioned.
Good luck... Gary
Old 06-27-2010, 02:10 PM
JamesE
Addict
Rennlist Member

RIP

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Olly are you Gay? Aircon, really.....
Old 06-27-2010, 04:15 PM
olly964T
Rennlist Member

Received 11 Likes on 6 Posts

James, just because you can drive an RSR through Central London. I need a few creature comforts.

got any pics of your wheels to send me. I still haven`t manage to ditch the idea of refurbing mine.

Quick Reply: Help plse just starting troubleshoot of aircon