964 Turbo Forum 1989-1994

Tial - 0.8 or 1 bar spring?

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2010 | 06:48 AM
Motilev
Instructor

Default Tial - 0.8 or 1 bar spring?

Hi!
I am going to replace stock heavy unit with 46mm Tial west-gate. I have order a two springs - 0.8 (Big green) and also order 0.2 (small yellow) to make 1 bar combo (BG+SY).
I your opinion which setup will better work with de-cat pipe on 98 fuel?
I know that better will be install boost gauge to see actual boost, but I dont want any after-market devices in the cabin. Stock gauge dot show more that 0.7 bar - maybe we can use another boost sensor to see actual boost?

Here FVD Powerkit 965Turbo 3.6L Level1 375HP min.98 Oktan
At picture you can see some sensor - maybe it replace stock one to show actual boost with "1 bar" spring?

Thnx, Alex
Attached Images  
Old 06-02-2010 | 08:10 AM
turboholic
Racer

Hy,

I would test the big green 0,8 spring and if the boost is not enough you can always up it with a simple manual boost controller. The stock boost gauge is crap, it will never show more than 0,7bar, hence it is worthless. If you dont want to have any non stock gauges inside your cabin you should at least verify the boost with an aftermarket boost gauge and then uninstall it. Otherwise you will never know what boostlevel you are running, those springs always have a certain tolerance.
Old 06-02-2010 | 10:15 AM
Motilev
Instructor

Originally Posted by turboholic
Hy,

I would test the big green 0,8 spring and if the boost is not enough you can always up it with a simple manual boost controller. The stock boost gauge is crap, it will never show more than 0,7bar, hence it is worthless. If you dont want to have any non stock gauges inside your cabin you should at least verify the boost with an aftermarket boost gauge and then uninstall it. Otherwise you will never know what boostlevel you are running, those springs always have a certain tolerance.
I think to install mini led display in tacho with AFR, EGT and Boost. It looks like stock and I always can control any unit.
Old 06-03-2010 | 06:20 AM
turboholic
Racer

Originally Posted by Motilev
I think to install mini led display in tacho with AFR, EGT and Boost. It looks like stock and I always can control any unit.
Thats what I have too, inyourfacegauges, very good product and you dont see it if you dont look closely or when the car is switched off.
Old 06-04-2010 | 08:07 PM
Colorado964turbo
Burning Brakes

It looks like the part you have circled "may" be a new overboost switch. I can't tell because of how small it is though. It threads into the back of the intercooler and there is a single wire that goes into it. I have not heard of anyone making one any different than the 1.2 ish stock one though, so I may be way off base here.
Old 06-22-2010 | 11:32 PM
Turbohead
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by Colorado964turbo
It looks like the part you have circled "may" be a new overboost switch. I can't tell because of how small it is though. It threads into the back of the intercooler and there is a single wire that goes into it. I have not heard of anyone making one any different than the 1.2 ish stock one though, so I may be way off base here.
That is correct it is the overboost switch.
I would forget about the shim springs
put a EBC with boost gauge.
I use this one simple to use and easy to read. you could put it out of sight if you wanted to.
Elliot
Attached Images  
Old 06-23-2010 | 09:27 AM
Metal Guru
Rennlist Member

FWIW, the .8 bar spring yielded .9 bar in my stock exhaust.
Old 06-24-2010 | 07:10 AM
Motilev
Instructor

Originally Posted by Colorado964turbo
I put 1 bar spring with new exhaust and have sometime fuel-cut at full gas at boost
Old 06-24-2010 | 09:54 AM
Megatron-UK
Burning Brakes

Have you got a boost gauge yet? You really must have one if you have changed the spring.
Old 06-24-2010 | 10:53 AM
Metal Guru
Rennlist Member

That intake/filter won't do anything other than clean up the engine compartment. I wouldn't buy it.
Old 06-25-2010 | 04:49 AM
Motilev
Instructor

Today we will finish tips and trying to relocate fuelcut switch - from the back side of intercooler to intake body. That we can minimize boost spikes, and it will "read" actual pressure after throttle body.

Originally Posted by Megatron-UK
Have you got a boost gauge yet? You really must have one if you have changed the spring.
Yes I know about that - we put boost gauge at the dyno.

Quick Reply: Tial - 0.8 or 1 bar spring?