Help With Barn Find '93 Turbo

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2010, 01:20 PM
MechanicalEng
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help With Barn Find '93 Turbo

Guys
I just found an artic silver with deviated red/black interior 93 Turbo. The car has 9,xxx miles (nine thousand). The car is all original except the radio. It has the Porsche speedlines and thats pretty much all I know so far. I have no experience with oil/air cooled cars. I will be getting a PPI but just wanted to get any aditional tips or information on what to look for in these cars. Also what would be a reasonable offer? do these cars really sell for 60-70k in these days? this car in not located in the US, is located in South America and the owner is desperate to get rid of it. I made a ridiculously low offer and he accepted!! it and now I am freaking out.
Thanks
Old 05-16-2010, 02:20 PM
Metal Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 431 Likes on 311 Posts

I've seen asking prices of around $50k for low mileage examples but don't know what they ultimately sold for.
If bought at the right price it could be a good deal. Hopefully it's been stored in a way that minimized deterioration.
What to look for: leakdown of 15% or less, no interior rot, no rust (especially around the windshield). You most likely will have to replace all the perishable parts (tires, oil lines, rubber brake lines) but as I stated, bought right it could still be a good deal.
Old 05-16-2010, 03:26 PM
JGC930
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If I might ask where in South America is the car located?
Old 05-16-2010, 03:36 PM
MechanicalEng
Burning Brakes

the 1993 Turbo is a 3.6 correct?
Old 05-16-2010, 04:05 PM
Vifa
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MechanicalEng
the 1993 Turbo is a 3.6 correct?
Yes.

Just curious, any pics ?
Old 05-16-2010, 04:36 PM
Boeing 717

Received 264 Likes on 159 Posts

Hey thats really cool, let us know how it turns out!!!
Old 05-16-2010, 06:13 PM
Big Jock
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

IMHO if it sounds too good to be true then it normally is too good to be true.Hope not tho for your sake cos that sounds like a FIND
Old 05-16-2010, 09:23 PM
MechanicalEng
Burning Brakes

The car is the only one in the country and it was owned by 2 well known car collectors, thats all I know for know, my dad will be looking at the car tomorrow and talk further with the owner, also I will be getting all the service records and the VIN, I will try to run it to see what comes up, the car was suposedly imported from Germany. I hope its not too complicated to make it street legal in the US.
Old 05-17-2010, 10:36 AM
Steven C.
Rennlist Member

Received 69 Likes on 36 Posts

First, if the car has been sitting for years let a mechanic start it. Needs a shot of oil in the cylinders and the starter run to see oil pressure AFTER changing the oil. Leak downs should be 5% or less which I doubt will happen if its sat for long periods. Chances are good that it has rust around the front or rear windows from sitting unless it's a desert, as Paul said. Mice love cars so look for the engine sound pad to be gone and maybe wiring if it was not stored in a secure place. Even spider droppings will discolor paint and trim permanently. If the battery was left in it.....
Old 05-17-2010, 05:43 PM
Trader220
Race Car

Received 91 Likes on 49 Posts

In this country the 93 would not be the 3.6 liter motor and would not have the speedline wheels. If it were my money I would seriously think about getting on a plane and then if I bought the car I would make sure I took it with me.
Old 05-17-2010, 06:01 PM
Big Jock
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Theres too much chat about this car.Someones gonna find it and buy it under your nose.Remember, if youre not fast,youre last.
Old 05-17-2010, 06:46 PM
Metal Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 431 Likes on 311 Posts

[QUOTE=Trader220;7578361]In this country the 93 would not be the 3.6 liter motor and would not have the speedline wheels.
/QUOTE]

The 3.6 was introduced in ROW in 1993.
Old 05-18-2010, 01:11 AM
schmidtwerk
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Dont forget the car will have to meet full DOT and EPA conversion and testing prior to being released, this will cost thousands of dollars.
Old 05-18-2010, 07:54 AM
MechanicalEng
Burning Brakes

Just got more info on the car, and unfortunately the car is a ROW car (ZZZ VIN). on top of that the car only has 1 Airbag I contacted a RI (DOT/EPA aproved shop that converts cars into US cars) and the quote for the conversion was $22-30k !!! the car needs all the exhaust to be replaced, the whole dashboard has to come out to add the extra Airbag, the ECU needs to be retuned by Porsche, bumbers, headlights, taillights, the list is very long. The guy said that I could use used parts as long as they where Porsche USA original but still the savings would not be that great. Unfortunately it would not make sence financially to buy the car. On top of the coversion the Tax + Freight + other fees will make the car more expensive than buying a nice US car...
The car was a true clean '93 Turbo 3.6. Had 1 owner and it is fully documented, the car was kept in a temp. controlled garage/display and was driven around the block once in a while.
It must have been nice....I almost got my dream car...
Old 05-18-2010, 09:23 AM
Megatron-UK
Burning Brakes

Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by MechanicalEng
Just got more info on the car, and unfortunately the car is a ROW car (ZZZ VIN). on top of that the car only has 1 Airbag I contacted a RI (DOT/EPA aproved shop that converts cars into US cars) and the quote for the conversion was $22-30k !!! the car needs all the exhaust to be replaced, the whole dashboard has to come out to add the extra Airbag, the ECU needs to be retuned by Porsche, bumbers, headlights, taillights, the list is very long. The guy said that I could use used parts as long as they where Porsche USA original but still the savings would not be that great. Unfortunately it would not make sence financially to buy the car. On top of the coversion the Tax + Freight + other fees will make the car more expensive than buying a nice US car...
The car was a true clean '93 Turbo 3.6. Had 1 owner and it is fully documented, the car was kept in a temp. controlled garage/display and was driven around the block once in a while.
It must have been nice....I almost got my dream car...
These cars don't have ECU's; they're mechanical fuel injection with discrete electronics for fuel enrichment, O2 control etc. There's nothing to 'retune'. Exhaust is a standard design and the same for all 91-94 Turbo models 3.3/3.6 and US/ROW. From what I can gather from Adrian Streathers 964 Enthusiast Companion book only a few countries resulted in the 964 having different setups for emissions - Japan and Switzerland are the two that come to mind.

As far as I'm aware there is no difference in the bumpers between US and ROW models (other than little black inserts next to the front foglights for US models - again, cheap to resolve). Headlights are different though (ROW models use the better H4 design) but that would be cheap to fix, and I don't think there's any difference in tail lights.

The only thing I can think that may be a problem is a second airbag - were all US models fitted with two airbags?

Quick Reply: Help With Barn Find '93 Turbo