Old 04-23-2010, 02:02 PM
tjr
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 964 turbo cab?

This is for sale at one of the UK's Porsche main dealers for £80k:

Here a link to the ad:

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classifi...rs?logcode=flp

According to many this cannot be a real 964 turbo cab as they didn't make them, but there wasn't supposed to be any 993 turbo cabs, yet I believe 8 were made. The dealer says they are selling it on behalf of a customer and that it is an "Exclusive" car.

Real or genuine - you decide!
Old 04-23-2010, 07:47 PM
Big Jock
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nice car.2 points,I dont think Porsche Bristol would take it to sell if it wasn't genuine.Now,assuming it is genuine,I think its worth close to that figure.Its certainly worth £65k.
Old 04-23-2010, 09:03 PM
screamingflat6
Racer

Hi,

Special wishes department, would build all the odd ball stuff for the very rich and the famous.
I know some of the 930 flat nose gang and they went over to the factory to gain paperwork and data for their cars and they said it was a nightmare.
I think at that money and from main dealer it will have everything with it to back its price up.
Mobile de has loads of odd ball stuff for sale at main dealers in Germany and at huge prices.
I have a lhd 965 and if I was selling I would get a greater price in Europe as they are going crazy for old skool cars.
I have a German mate and he's taken six cars home from the uk in the last 24 months.

Its sad for the people who want a 965(sorry 964 turbo) and good for us the owners.

Gaz
Old 04-23-2010, 10:18 PM
al 965
Instructor

There were a few made for the european market. There was one for sale @ I beleive a shop in Houston last year, with a great deal of doubt as to it being original, and they took it off the market. It was first listed for sale by an indivual in colorado and was bought by the shop in Houston and marked up a lot. @ the time I researched it and found out that there were I think either 4 or 6 made for the european market
Old 04-23-2010, 10:25 PM
al 965
Instructor

try to go to www.performance2and4.co.uk
Old 04-24-2010, 05:52 AM
JamesE
Addict
Rennlist Member

RIP

I enquired about the car. It was a stock cab originally. Then back to factory for turbo transplant. It has fancy leather option.

I do fancy a cab, but not sure the car is worth 80k. If it is, a lot of that value is the low miles which will just diminish with use.
Old 04-24-2010, 06:37 AM
tjr
Burning Brakes

Thanks for the confirmation James.

So unless it has a new VIN (which I don't think is possible or legal) then it is a 964 turbo look convertible with a turbo engine (I believe they already had the turbo brakes) not a 964 turbo which is how Porsche Centre Bristol are advertising it. That itself is rather naughty...

If it were a standard RHD turbo look it is probably worth £35-£40k? So the turbo engine conversion seems to be doubling its price.

A bit of an acquired taste and a rather high risk at that price for what is effectively a bastardised car.
Old 07-01-2010, 12:38 PM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by al 965
From their "A Porsche 911 964 Turbo II convertible?..........they didn't make them did they?" page:
Originally Posted by performance2and4.co.uk
Dealing with Porsche 911 I occasionally stumble across 'odd' models or specifications and this one is very odd indeed.

Its no secret that Porsche will provide (within reason) whatever the customers desire.

During the 1990's the Porsche exclusive studio offered a whole range of 'list' options, everything from leather air vents and switches, to gold instrument bezels and such like. Tastes vary.

Porsche would accommodate requests for more exotic choices too. Even in 1981 they would make a 'slant nose 911' if you were prepared to pay. Hence the unusual cars.

This is a genuine Porsche 911 964 Turbo II convertible. Evidently only 4 were built, one coming to the U.K. And its that one I have pictured.

Although a 1993 chassis number you can see it uses the 'older' 911 3.3 Turbo motor and suspension. This one had gone into a private collection and covered a nominal mileage.

Other unique features you can see are the 'RS' style rear bumper and the 'one off' black and white leather interior.

Very pretty and now with a new owner.
Old 07-01-2010, 12:39 PM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by tjr
This is for sale at one of the UK's Porsche main dealers:

Posted today on Total911.com: "964 Turbo Cabriolet – one of just four worldwide"
Originally Posted by Phil Raby
Here’s a sneak preview of a very rare car we photographed yesterday. A 964 Turbo Cabriolet, one of just four built by Porsche Exclusive in 1993. With just 5000 miles on the clock it’s in astonishing, original condition. Look out for the full story – and more photographs – in Total 911.

Old 07-01-2010, 07:43 PM
Farfelc2s
Burning Brakes

Received 30 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Turbo cab

I bought a new PORSCHE TURBO CAB in MONTREAL.
black/black/black.
i think it was 1989.
Old 07-01-2010, 08:10 PM
legacywr
Instructor

That's a great looking car.. but in the photos here it is shown with a black interior, and in Phil Rabey's photos it has a black and white interior.. or have i got that wrong?
Old 07-01-2010, 09:40 PM
curve lover
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Originally Posted by legacywr
the photos here it is shown with a black interior, and in Phil Rabey's photos it has a black and white interior.. or have i got that wrong?
WR-- Phil's photos show a black interior, as well as TJR's thread-opening post. Looks like the same license plate, shift ****, emergency brake, floor-monted extinguisher, etc., too.

The performance2and4.co.uk web article that Al 965 referenced shows black & white interior, plus different wheels, shifter, e-brake, plate, etc. than the one shown by RLers Phil Raby & TJR.

Hopefully helpful, mate
Old 07-02-2010, 05:36 PM
raspberryroadster
Three Wheelin'

gorgeous car....but may be difficult to trace/confirm history as from all i have seen/read porsche historically a poor record keeper (especial special "werks" group)....so would like to see the records...,.and i specifically note the article says "evidently" so wonder what the actual porsche documentation is on hand
either stock wtl cab returned to factory for 930 engine or aftermarket , more than likely the latter in which case

cheaper to take WTL cab (aka america roadster) and add bolt on supercharger or turbo (at lower boost installation than turbo, as likely stock 964 engine ran higher compression)... no?

imo....whaletail somehow just not suit 964 series cab (whether america roadster or narrow body)

Last edited by raspberryroadster; 07-02-2010 at 05:41 PM. Reason: add photo
Old 07-05-2010, 12:30 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,064 Likes on 1,240 Posts

All information to date discussed on this forum shows these cars to have been sold as widebody cabs that were sent back to the factory and converted to turbo engined cars. There is no objective evidence that these cars were supplied as turbo widebody cabs from the factory.

The 3 piece wheels are not factory either.
Old 07-05-2010, 12:36 PM
JamesE
Addict
Rennlist Member

RIP

Black car is £60k absolute tops. As has been said it is just a cab, with an engine transplant.

Quick Reply: 964 turbo cab?