964 Turbo Forum 1989-1994

Charcoal canister

Search this Thread

Old 04-04-2010 | 12:10 AM
jhy
Intermediate

Default Charcoal canister

Hey guys,

I been trouble shooting a fuel smell so have some questions on the canister.
Does anybody know how the charcoal canister is plumbed?
In the bottom of the cannister there is an open port, and on the top, 2 ports, one hose is coming from the tank and the other hose is going to the engine compartment. However, the hose that is going to the engine compartment is just laying there, its not plugged in anywhere.

So my question is where does that hose go on the engine? I was thinking the air filter, but I have an efi set up, so i dont have the stock air filter. So do i just plumb it into the intake pipe near my cone filter. But then if do that, are there any issues of it being unfiltered? Also, is it ok to have fuel vapors going right to the turbo like that? or is that hose suppose go to a vacume source or something?
Finally, is that open port in the bottom of the cannister suppose to be open? or plugged? I noticed if i blow through the the engine compartment hose, the air comes out of that port, and seems like bits of pieces of charcoal comes out.

thanks in advance

thanks
Old 04-04-2010 | 12:21 PM
Metal Guru
Rennlist Member

I'm not certain but I think that the hose hooks up to the stock air cleaner housing.

Quick Reply: Charcoal canister