Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2010, 06:35 AM
dewael.eu
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about a specific car its option list

Dear all,

At the moment I’m starting to look for a nice 3.6 turbo. I suspect that
this search will take some time, but that’s no problem.
I have some questions about a car that I found on the internet. Is it
possible to pm someone the VIN number to receive the color combination and
the option list? The car has certain options (carbon fiber on the
dashboard) that I find hard to believe to be original Porsche.
If the option is aftermarket, then I’m not interested. I’m looking for a
complete original 3.6 turbo with a nice color combo.
Old 02-16-2010, 06:46 AM
Megatron-UK
Burning Brakes

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

I don't think the VIN will get you the option list (unless maybe Porsche offer such a service?) - the codes should be printed on a sticker on the underside of the bonnet/hood. Paintwork code is on the inner wing in the front boot - but the interior carpet/seat/upholstery combination is represented as a single code (again, printed on the options sticker) and can't easily be deciphered into the individual parts (ie seats, carpet, trim) as far as I'm aware.
Old 02-16-2010, 10:11 AM
Sifly
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I doubt carbon fiber trim was offered back in 93/94 but I might be wrong!! If it turned out to be aftermarket, I'm sure it could easily be returned to standard if the rest of the car was spot on!?
Old 02-16-2010, 12:05 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,937 Likes on 1,170 Posts

Originally Posted by dewael.eu
Dear all,

At the moment I’m starting to look for a nice 3.6 turbo. I suspect that
this search will take some time, but that’s no problem.
I have some questions about a car that I found on the internet. Is it
possible to pm someone the VIN number to receive the color combination and
the option list? The car has certain options (carbon fiber on the
dashboard) that I find hard to believe to be original Porsche.
If the option is aftermarket, then I’m not interested. I’m looking for a
complete original 3.6 turbo with a nice color combo.
Carbon Fiber dash was not offered until 1996. It was standard on the 993Turbo S. My car was upgraded with the factory pieces and when I purchased it all the original parts came with it. It can be removed and is not worth passing on a car for. IMO it adds something to the rather simple interior but you can always convert the car back to stock and possibly sell the parts at a profit assuming they are factory and not a cheap applique.

There are so few clean 94 turbos left when you find a solid car that has no issues buy it and you can always fix simple things like this.

BTW you can tell the factory CF pieces by the exclusive marking on the passenger airbag. Circled in red. It also looks much more subtle in person. The flash brings out the silver in the CF
Attached Images  
Old 02-16-2010, 02:12 PM
dewael.eu
Advanced

Hereby the link to the car.

I really want to know what your opinion is. I have some doubts with the seats ( not heated ??? ) dashboard and it's carbon fiber, steering wheel, white meters, ...
The price is in my opinion pretty high, but it is also low in miles and is an incredible color combination of white and dark red...

http://www.classicdriver.com/de/find...lCarID=1774780
Old 02-16-2010, 03:15 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Hereby the link to the car.

I really want to know what your opinion is. I have some doubts with the seats ( not heated ??? ) dashboard and it's carbon fiber, steering wheel, white meters, ...
The price is in my opinion pretty high, but it is also low in miles and is an incredible color combination of white and dark red...

http://www.classicdriver.com/de/find...lCarID=1774780
Heated seats were an option they did not come stock. So unless you want them that is not an issue.

The car has as you pointed out atiwe/riad steering wheel, Carbon fiber dash, (Might be factory supplied can't read the signature and it is not in the same location as mine but I have seen variations based on when they were manufactured) Upgraded CF door handles, White or silver not sure of the gauge faces and aftermarket bezel surrounds. Porsche did offer a silver gauge face option not sure if these are them. I have seen some US cars come like this but the were updated by the dealer prior to delivery sans the CF.

My honest opinion based on the car not on price ( I have no idea what that is in USD or how it equates to your location, although obviously pricey) the car is stunning and although modified IMO tastefully done. The Steering wheel is the one i have on 2 of my 964's IMO it is a major improvement in feel and hand placement and can easily be swapped back. In fact this car is the only one i have seen that did the same crest on the steering wheel as I did. The CF adds a nice touch but again could be swapped out for stock. The gauges can be switched back to black the bezels if glued on might need to be replaced with new but that could be done also.

If this car is half as mechanically sound as it is clean and gorgeous I would say you will be hard pressed to find its like. I know of maybe 2 other white 964 turbos with red interior and I don't think you will come across another easily. Both of those are 3.3's one has matador red which is also a gorgeous combo.

So unless the price isn't outrageous where you are from I would say don't let this one get away. Of Course a full PPI is a must and if the car has very low mileage you may find driving it will only depreciate its value.

So unless you have to have a stock car for a collection and don't plan on driving it I would buy it and enjoy it she is a beauty.

If you can find out the option codes they are easy to decipher. It obviously has a custom factory interior with deviated piping, supple leather seats and leather interior. What else I can't tell from the pictures.

Good Luck
Old 02-16-2010, 03:30 PM
dewael.eu
Advanced

Anthony,
thanks for the reply.
The car is priced at 105 000 euro's which is about 143 000 dollars. I live near Germany where it is for sale so I don't need to pay for overseas shipping. Nevertheless I think it is one of the most expensive 964 turbo (that isn't a S) but also one of the nicest ones...

The car has only 15 000 miles and is modified already with carbon fiber. And that worries my a bit. If i would own a car that is 16 years old, 15k miles and priced at +140k dollars, I wouldn't change anything. But that is just my 2 cents...

And if the carbon is changed with aftermarket, what else is changed ???
Old 02-16-2010, 03:39 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Anthony,
thanks for the reply.
The car is priced at 105 000 euro's which is about 143 000 dollars. I live near Germany where it is for sale so I don't need to pay for overseas shipping. Nevertheless I think it is one of the most expensive 964 turbo (that isn't a S) but also one of the nicest ones...

The car has only 15 000 miles and is modified already with carbon fiber. And that worries my a bit. If i would own a car that is 16 years old, 15k miles and priced at +140k dollars, I wouldn't change anything. But that is just my 2 cents...

And if the carbon is changed with aftermarket, what else is changed ???
I thoroughly understand your concerns. That is why a PPI is needed to determine if all else is stock and sound. These mods could have been done as early as 1996. Mine was changed about that time.

That is a boat load of money. I would agree quite pricey for a non S. Around here a clean S will fetch that kind of money. I could see it if it was a 5000 mile car but 15 is already getting up there. I would throw them a fair market price for it the worst thing they could do is say no. I would also inquire if they have the original parts. I have all my original parts that have been swapped no matter how insignificant.
Old 02-19-2010, 07:18 AM
fritz k.
Pro

Received 105 Likes on 80 Posts

Is it possible to pm someone the VIN number to receive the color combination and the option list?
every "Porsche Zentrum" (official dealer) is able to check online color combo and options by VIN. they get a print out with all relevant data.

another way is the production label, which shows option and color codes too. one is to find under the front hood, the other in the service manual.

the seller should provide either of them.

apart from that i agree to what Anthony wrote.

good luck,

fritz

Last edited by fritz k.; 02-19-2010 at 09:34 AM.
Old 02-20-2010, 02:37 PM
Trader220
Rennlist Member

Received 91 Likes on 49 Posts

According to its VIN it was delivered at Steve Clifford Motor Cars on 6/20/1994. Unfortunately the current Porsche PPN system does not have the spec sheet with options on a car that old in its database.

Printable View
Print

Scrollable View
Help

VIN WP0AC2965RS480391 Order Reference 231265
Model/Type 964 770
Dealer 451 Steve Clifford Motors
Order Type STOCK Stock/Inventor Engine Number
Warranty Date 6/20/1994 Trans Number
Body Color L9 Retail Price

Printable View
Print

Scrollable View
Help

VIN WP0AC2965RS480391 Order Reference 231265
Model/Type 964 770
Dealer 451 Steve Clifford Motors
Order Type STOCK Stock/Inventor Engine Number
Warranty Date 6/20/1994 Trans Number
Body Color P5 Grand Prix White Retail Price
Old 02-23-2010, 03:47 PM
dewael.eu
Advanced

I have received following picture.

Can some "translate" this. The code with the "X" doesn't say anything to me ...

Old 02-23-2010, 04:22 PM
sweanders
Race Director

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

X-codes are from the Exclusive program. Most of those options are in the Exclusive folder from the year.
Old 02-23-2010, 04:43 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

I have to agree with sweanders on this one. It would appear the code is from the exclusive program although nothing standard. I would have to assume it pertains to the interior LG code which also doesn't come up in my resources. I could only guess it pertains to the special order interior and was a single code that referred to a series of interior parts and color codes. Since there is no option code for leather interior and this car has leather I would have to guess this is all included in the package.

The rest is straight forward but a bit confusing. This is a US spec car? So I guess we are down another beauty leaving so few of these cars here. The C02 stands for US emissions. L908 for Grand Prix white. 407 18" polished wheels although this car appears to have painted centers not polished. 586 lumbar support left 650 sunroof 691 CD1 player. 935 is rear of front seats leather and 980 are front and rear seat covers ruffled or supple leather.

I corrected myself the ad shows vin number and it is a US spec car. Should have read trader 220's post first.

Last edited by cobalt; 02-23-2010 at 04:50 PM. Reason: Edit just looked and it is a US car based on vin number in ad
Old 02-24-2010, 11:09 AM
dewael.eu
Advanced

Is it possible that the x-option refers to the carbon fiber?
Old 02-24-2010, 11:48 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Is it possible that the x-option refers to the carbon fiber?
Tough call. It is, but as I mentioned previously I believe the X90 option code is a reference to an exclusive build sheet not just one but possibly several options.

At a minimum the option sheet would need to include these missing items.

Full leather interior
Custom interior color
deviated piping
custom colored carpeting

It could also have included CF dash (this would have bee custom made since it wasn't offered)
Aluminum C/F shift **** and shifter
Colored gauge faces.
SS turbo insignia door sills
tray in back of brake handle
Whatever else I can't see in the pictures.

I don't believe the steering wheel the bezels around the gauges and the door handles would be offered as a special wishes option but I could be wrong. may things are possible if you had the right contacts and the money to pay for it.

Quick Reply: Question about a specific car its option list