964 Turbo Forum 1989-1994

H4 headlight help

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2009, 06:18 PM
red9thirty
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default H4 headlight help

Unable to adjust the headlight on the driver's side I removed the assembly. I discovered the black gasketlike pieces that hold the metal tabs that the adjustment screws thread into have fallen apart. I searched through Pelican but can not find these parts. Also, I need different headlight screws for the trim ring (both outer and inner) Pelican only offers for the models 1968-86 -I assume those would work on my '91, as well.
Old 09-30-2009, 01:01 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,037 Likes on 1,220 Posts

Originally Posted by red9thirty
Unable to adjust the headlight on the driver's side I removed the assembly. I discovered the black gasketlike pieces that hold the metal tabs that the adjustment screws thread into have fallen apart. I searched through Pelican but can not find these parts. Also, I need different headlight screws for the trim ring (both outer and inner) Pelican only offers for the models 1968-86 -I assume those would work on my '91, as well.
The screws will work. They just stopped using H4's on 911's in 1986.

The black plastic pieces are stops to hold the screws in place. You should be Ok without them. Are the screws connected to the brass pieces that move the reflector?
Old 09-30-2009, 06:17 PM
red9thirty
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cobalt
Are the screws connected to the brass pieces that move the reflector?
Yes, the brass piece is connected to the lens via the "rubbery" black piece (looks kinda like a hose but with very thick walls). The adjustment screw threads in or out of the brass piece. This in/out action moves the brass up and down the adjustment screw thus moving the lens. But the black pieces broke apart (dry rot?) allowing the brass part no connection to the lens.
Old 09-30-2009, 06:39 PM
ghhally
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts

Try to find a similar rubber hose in the DIY around the corner.
Cut it to length.
Some cars have similar hoses running from the washer botlle
to the windscreen.
Old 10-01-2009, 10:49 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,037 Likes on 1,220 Posts

Originally Posted by red9thirty
Yes, the brass piece is connected to the lens via the "rubbery" black piece (looks kinda like a hose but with very thick walls). The adjustment screw threads in or out of the brass piece. This in/out action moves the brass up and down the adjustment screw thus moving the lens. But the black pieces broke apart (dry rot?) allowing the brass part no connection to the lens.
I recall what you are talking about now. I have a set of H1's at home in a box I can check for the piece but IIRC you should be able to fabricate something. I don't believe it was rubber but a hard plastic that had some flex to it.

Quick Reply: H4 headlight help