964 Turbo Forum 1989-1994

£60 fine for number plate spacing

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2009, 05:40 PM
911 2
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
Default £60 fine for number plate spacing

got pulled up today for my number plate, first time in two years, all the digits are normal size just the gap on one letter is out, didnt give ne a warning just fined me £60 on the spot fine also mentioned if i get stopped again they will take the plates, what i need to know is do i have to get the plates changed tomorrow or do i have a few days

Last edited by 911 2; 08-07-2009 at 06:10 PM.
Old 08-08-2009, 04:46 AM
tjr
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have two colleagues at work who had re-spaced their plates to spell their names (badly!) - both got stopped within a few weeks of each other and both got fined - the Police are cracking down on this as it is easy money! As your plates are illegal now, I would be 99% certain you need to get them fixed now. Take your V5, proof of address and some photo ID into any car accessory shop and they'll make them up while you wait for £20. It's hardly difficult and so I doubt your local plod would be sympathetic if they caught you again...they'll just take your £60 and your plate.
Old 08-08-2009, 09:27 AM
Metal Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 429 Likes on 309 Posts

I always found the license plates issued in Blighty to be interesting: that the plates can be purchased at a store with the interesting number/letter combinations trading hands between owners for stupid money (is this how it works?).

Here in the Colonies most states allow you to buy personalized plates. All plates are manufactured and issued by the individual states (by felons working for 25 cents per hour). Any alteration to a license plate will get you in trouble, however.

Back in the 80's I saw a Pantera with the plate "IT OUT". The owner then painted a check mark ahead of the words so now he had "CHECK IT OUT". Apparently the cops never saw the check mark or didn't care all that much.
Old 08-09-2009, 04:42 AM
964_Drew
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Maybe I’m a little behind the times down here in Dorset, but that is the first time I have ever heard of an individual actually getting 'nicked' for incorrect plate display.

I drive about 45000 a year and trust me I see some real horrors! But have often thought....the law states what we are supposed to do, 1000's of people display them 'poorly', the Police never miss a trick to make a bit of money, why don't you hear more cases of people getting stopped? Well obviously leniency has ended?

Got to love the newly found entrepreneurial tendencies of the British Public Sector Departments....not !
Old 08-10-2009, 05:33 PM
911addict
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

At a recent car show, the police turned up and told everyone who had an 'illegal' plate to remove it there and then. Some owners had a spare with them luckily, don't know how the others managed to get home? With a fine I suspect!

Worse than this though, I've seen cars on the road with NO plates. Where are the police then?
Old 08-10-2009, 07:20 PM
911 2
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

drive a 911 turbo and they will fine you anyway, bet if i was driving an old fiesta they would have just warned me, its the first time i have ever been pulled by the old bill and they fine me,

Quick Reply: £60 fine for number plate spacing