Notices
964 Turbo Forum 1989-1994

Should I be running away from GT3s ?

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2009, 12:56 PM
Vince964T
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The Turbo is car graphics hybrid by the way.
Usualy their products are great, no reason to suspect anything wrong there.
There is probably a lot to work on on the exhaust flow side on the other hand.

Also got the lw flywheel btw, forgot to mention that.
Old 07-07-2009, 01:41 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,121 Likes on 1,273 Posts

Originally Posted by Vince964T
The Turbo is car graphics hybrid by the way.
Usualy their products are great, no reason to suspect anything wrong there.
There is probably a lot to work on on the exhaust flow side on the other hand.

Also got the lw flywheel btw, forgot to mention that.
A lot of these mods help on the street but do little on the track. LWF is nice for street and low end driving but doesn't gain much once in the revs. Some have argued on turboed cars the rpms fall faster with a LWF and loose some boost during shifting. Although it appears you have that part covered.

Do you know what year the turbo is from? They have made tremendous advancements in turbo technology in the past 5 or so years. My HF K27 is one of the earlier more recent advancements. It helped a little for added power but gained me tremendously with throttle control. It starts building boost at 1000 rpms and is at full boost by 3000 rpms without cat and pulls as strong as a K29 all the way to redline. The best part of it is how it eliminates the on/off switch feel of the stock K27 or K29 and allows you to feather the throttle very much like the N/A cars which is a big plus when needing that extra throttle in the turns without the worries of the boost kicking in too strong.
Old 07-07-2009, 02:10 PM
tjr
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Vince964T
Thanks tjr.

Seems they have different sizes on the B&B models. Would you be kind enough to indicate which one you went for if possible. I guess this one.
FPOR-0110 930/911 TURBO HEADERS 1 5/8" W/ HEAT EXCHANGERS 79-89

http://www.bbexhaust.com/car/930/

If you don't remember no worries I ll check with them when it's time.
Cargraphics is more expensive.
You need the fpor-0130 ($2.5k) listed under the 964 section, as well as the installation kit ($429) as this includes the longer oil pipe that you'll need. Personally I'd ask them or a US distributor (e.g. vividracing.com) for a discount and a deal on the shipping. I did this with Imagine Auto, but unfortuntely they are no longer with us.

FYI - FVD also offer B&B headers, but for €3.5k!
Old 07-07-2009, 03:10 PM
dholling13
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

A Gt3 is much more modern in every facet of technology, from aerodynamics to suspension geometry these cars are much faster than ours on the track. Sorry...
Old 07-07-2009, 03:30 PM
Vince964T
Racer

Originally Posted by dholling13
A Gt3 is much more modern in every facet of technology, from aerodynamics to suspension geometry these cars are much faster than ours on the track. Sorry...
hehe tell me about it. Only talking about straight line here.

Our Turbos are really poor track cars stock, requires tons of mods to make them perform well. Still with these mods they hold their own pretty well agaisnt more modern street cars.
Old 07-07-2009, 03:34 PM
Vince964T
Racer

Originally Posted by tjr
You need the fpor-0130 ($2.5k) listed under the 964 section, as well as the installation kit ($429) as this includes the longer oil pipe that you'll need. Personally I'd ask them or a US distributor (e.g. vividracing.com) for a discount and a deal on the shipping. I did this with Imagine Auto, but unfortuntely they are no longer with us.

FYI - FVD also offer B&B headers, but for €3.5k!

Thank you very much. Very helpfull.
Yeah FVD isn't much cheaper than cargraphics.

Actually when I ordered my new turbo this year the 1st choice was IA given the good feedback US guys gives them. Was in Mars but somehow I was not prepared to send money across the ponds in todays economic situation so I went for Cargraphics... True story.
Old 07-07-2009, 04:05 PM
Vince964T
Racer

Originally Posted by cobalt
A lot of these mods help on the street but do little on the track. LWF is nice for street and low end driving but doesn't gain much once in the revs. Some have argued on turboed cars the rpms fall faster with a LWF and loose some boost during shifting. Although it appears you have that part covered.

Do you know what year the turbo is from? They have made tremendous advancements in turbo technology in the past 5 or so years. My HF K27 is one of the earlier more recent advancements. It helped a little for added power but gained me tremendously with throttle control. It starts building boost at 1000 rpms and is at full boost by 3000 rpms without cat and pulls as strong as a K29 all the way to redline. The best part of it is how it eliminates the on/off switch feel of the stock K27 or K29 and allows you to feather the throttle very much like the N/A cars which is a big plus when needing that extra throttle in the turns without the worries of the boost kicking in too strong.

Regarding the LWFW I really can't say I noticed a huge huge difference, was a bit disappointed by that one but slightly faster reving helps a little when you have no choice on some curve combinations where staying for 20 secs close to max rev in 2nd feels harsh on the engine and 3rd gear engine response is not as you wish it should be.... Was not a major improvement though.

But really all the mods I have are really track oriented. Some were more effective than others of course. Ok the back ground is like that.

I bought the car because it was such a looker back in 2002, love at 1st sight. Then the Porsche club was very active and it was such a challenge to drive I thought if I master that I ll be able to drive anything fast.
After a little while I did realise the flaws of the 964 turbo as a track car. At the same time it still looked really so good and was extremely entertaining to drive. It seemed I had had the luck to find a good reliable one to. So I kept it and decided to improve it a bit.

Over the years it received a lot of love. I would bore everyone listing all the mods to go faster on a race track. The whole package ended up pretty good (and expensive). Decent balance, good engine response, lower weight, decent power even with modern standards and brakes that never ever let me down even after 45 minutes of track non stop (then she ran out of fuel).
I always kept power relatively low with 0,85 or 0,9 b of boost and standard turbo not to compromise reliability as I am doing 12 to 15 track days a year with a race or 2. Worked well she never let me down till this year when the WUR failed.

I thought I was done with mods till this spring when we had a diner between Porsche friends and I got so into it that I ordered a new turbo the day after
Now with a new turbo comes new problems and the need to adjust things a little to make it work.

I have no clue when Cargraphics designed their turbo. It was built on demand but it does start to load a little bit later as I now have more lag than before, but I am convinced exshaust and gearing can solve that. It does pull all the way to redline and power delivery is very linear, really good.
Old 07-07-2009, 04:07 PM
Vincent C.
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

what did you do about ignition, is it all stock???
Old 07-07-2009, 04:10 PM
Vince964T
Racer

Yes all stock. Stock CIS, appart from slightly higher boost and race cat the engine is basically stock.
I just wanted her to go on and on and on.
Old 07-07-2009, 04:11 PM
Vincent C.
Addict
Rennlist Member

is your car a euro spec car with a euro fuel system as well....
Old 07-07-2009, 04:13 PM
Vince964T
Racer

Yes it is.
Old 07-07-2009, 04:24 PM
Vincent C.
Addict
Rennlist Member

raising the boost in the 964 turbo, the ignition system retards the timing so you don't get all the power out of the car, if you modify the crank sensor bracket, it will not take out so much timing and the car will have more power.....964 turbo's really love crank fire....i have a 92 euro 964 turbo with crank fire and it made 460 to the wheels @ .9 bar of boost and stock cis.....vinnie
Old 07-07-2009, 05:16 PM
Metal Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 430 Likes on 310 Posts

Originally Posted by Vincent C.
if you modify the crank sensor bracket, it will not take out so much timing and the car will have more power.....964 turbo's really love crank fire....i have a 92 euro 964 turbo with crank fire and it made 460 to the wheels @ .9 bar of boost and stock cis.....vinnie
Vinnie, can you provide dyno data and the details of this modification?
Thanks.
Old 07-07-2009, 06:00 PM
Vincent C.
Addict
Rennlist Member

you have to add 12mm of length to the sensor bracket and then clearance the bell housing on the transmission. the dyno sheet is a 4th gear run, if i remember correctly....
Attached Images  
Old 07-07-2009, 06:20 PM
turboholic
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I think this is it:

http://shop.fvd.de/de/de/Porsche-0/9....98-Oktan.html

is it hard to install?

Quick Reply: Should I be running away from GT3s ?