Notices
964 Turbo Forum 1989-1994

Changing Oil Cooler Fan Ballast

Old 07-04-2009, 02:39 PM
Metal Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 429 Likes on 309 Posts
Default Changing Oil Cooler Fan Ballast

Last weekend I got caught in traffic for the first time in my car. After 20 minutes of crawling at 5 mph my temp needle was nearing 10 o'clock.
A quick check of relays and jumpering the relay plug revealed that the ballast on both my oil cooler fan and A/C condenser were shot.
A note on the jumper test: Jump terminal 30 to 87 and 30c to 87c (follow the identification on the bottom of the relay to find the correct slots on the plug).
Since Wachcuko has posted pictures of the A/C ballast replacement (which is the more difficult job by far) I will post the pictures for the oil cooler fan.
Remove the front wheel, front wheelhouse and valence. Now you can see the four fasteners that must be removed so that you can move the oil cooler aside. Here are the 2 nuts nearest the wheel. Undo these first.
Attached Images  
Old 07-04-2009, 02:44 PM
Metal Guru
Rennlist Member

The next two are at the front of the car and between the top of the cooler and the headlight:
Attached Images   
Old 07-04-2009, 02:54 PM
Metal Guru
Rennlist Member

The last one is a 10 mm nut on the very front of the cooler, at the bottom (thought I got a picture of it; sorry).
Now you are ready to pull the oil cooler outboard and access the ballast. Unplug the ballast. The ballast is held on the oil cooler shroud by a 10 mm bolt and nut. Reach under the shroud and undo the nut. Lift off the old ballast and kick it across the garage. Install the new ballast with the metal base plate that came with it. Make sure that you get the relief in the bottom of the ballast and base plate aligned with the bump in the shroud.
Re-install the oil cooler, valence, wheelhouse and wheel. Now go in the house and enjoy your favorite adult beverage: you just saved yourself two hours of labor and your professional wrench's place.
Attached Images  
Old 07-04-2009, 04:31 PM
gr1275
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What's the down side of removing the resistor and running the fan full speed all the time? I have wired my street rod that way and didn't think anything of it. Just thinking out loud...
Old 07-04-2009, 05:08 PM
Metal Guru
Rennlist Member

I've read that some guys do that until they get around to replacing the ballast. I don't think it hurts anything...
Old 07-06-2009, 12:02 PM
fritz k.
Pro

Received 103 Likes on 78 Posts

What's the down side of removing the resistor and running the fan full speed all the time? I have wired my street rod that way and didn't think anything of it. Just thinking out loud...
i think installing a manual switch is a better way, ´cause it allows to operate the fan if it is helpful.
running it permanent will cause a slight delay in achieving the operational oil temperature. that does not hurt, but a tiny little blemish.

fritz

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Changing Oil Cooler Fan Ballast