Notices
964 Turbo Forum 1989-1994

Amplifier question

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2009, 09:50 AM
Boeing 717

Received 263 Likes on 158 Posts
Default Amplifier question

Hi guys, i have a 6 disc cd changer and a large amplifier in my trunk. They were installed professionally by the previous owner but i dont want them, to me they are dead weight. I only listen to AM radio when i drive. Do we have to have an amp in our cars for the radio to work or can i just run the speakers straight to my radio?
Old 05-21-2009, 11:10 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,020 Likes on 1,210 Posts

Originally Posted by Boeing 717
Hi guys, i have a 6 disc cd changer and a large amplifier in my trunk. They were installed professionally by the previous owner but i dont want them, to me they are dead weight. I only listen to AM radio when i drive. Do we have to have an amp in our cars for the radio to work or can i just run the speakers straight to my radio?
Do you have a factory radio CR-1 or CD-2? If so you need a power amplifier these do not have an amplifier built in. If not and you have an aftermarket head unit you will have to read up on its specs.
Old 05-21-2009, 03:49 PM
SonnyV
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If you have the factory radio, unlikely if you have a big amp in the trunk, you have a box under the passenger seat (on left hand drive car), it is the original amp to the radio. See if it is still there and reconnect the speaker wires.

If you have aftermarket radio, it should have internal power amp enough for your radio listening. Any stereo installation shop should be able to connect them to the speakers.
Old 05-21-2009, 03:54 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,020 Likes on 1,210 Posts

Originally Posted by SonnyV
If you have the factory radio, unlikely if you have a big amp in the trunk, you have a box under the passenger seat (on left hand drive car), it is the original amp to the radio. See if it is still there and reconnect the speaker wires.

If you have aftermarket radio, it should have internal power amp enough for your radio listening. Any stereo installation shop should be able to connect them to the speakers.
Yes however if the amp was bypassed as it is in my car you will need to reconnect it. Mine has been removed and the wire from the CR-1 to the amp was unfortunately spliced to make it work. If this cable was compromised they are nearly impossible to come by.
Old 05-21-2009, 04:02 PM
SonnyV
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cobalt
Yes however if the amp was bypassed as it is in my car you will need to reconnect it. Mine has been removed and the wire from the CR-1 to the amp was unfortunately spliced to make it work. If this cable was compromised they are nearly impossible to come by.
I know what you mean. That is why when I had the shop install my aftermarket head unit, I made sure that I would be able to reconnect one day.

I do have an amp but it is for the subwoofers only, the rest of the speakers use the internal amp from new the head unit.
Old 05-21-2009, 05:29 PM
Boeing 717

Received 263 Likes on 158 Posts

Thanks guys, it is not the stock head its a Sony product. Ill check and see what the specs are.

Quick Reply: Amplifier question