964 Turbo Forum 1989-1994

Getting my car back on the road, has sat for 3 years

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2009, 12:07 PM
Ian964
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Getting my car back on the road, has sat for 3 years

I've had my car in storage for about 3 years. I went to law school and I just didn't have the time or money to properly tend to her.

I've taken the car out a few times in the summer just to start it up and let it run a little. The last time I did it started to smoke very heavily. It's a very white smoke. I looked under the car and there seems to be some oil caked around the turbo and a little bit of seepage from where the turbo meets the cat.

Any ideas as to what this might be? I'm thinking maybe the turbo seals are gone. I've made an appointment to take it in and get everything fixed up.

Another issue I found that really bothers me. By the windshield seal right in the middle of the car, there is a small paint bubble about the size of a nickel. I'm sure this is rust and I'm going to need it to be fixed. Is something like this expensive to fix? I'm sure they are going to need to take out the windshield, remove the rubber seal and then grind out the rust or whatever they do to it. I can't imagine its going to be a cheap fix.
Old 04-27-2009, 04:22 PM
SonnyV
Addict
Rennlist
Lifetime Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My understanding is that white smoke is not from oil, but from water vapor. Since your car has been parked for a long time, I am sure you have a lot of water vapor build up in the engine and exhaust system.

My car which I drive about once a month. When I start it up in cold weather, I get a lot of white smoke for a while and then it goes away after about 3 minutes.

Good luck,

Sonny
Old 04-27-2009, 05:53 PM
turbowagon
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I am not sure about the white smoke but if I store the car for that long I will probably give fresh oil, gas and spark plug. Good luck and enjoy the beast after you have it all sort out.
Old 04-27-2009, 09:27 PM
Metal Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 429 Likes on 309 Posts

In the spring and fall I have a lot of condensation in my exhaust too. It burns off after a few minutes like others have pointed out here.
Old 04-28-2009, 12:41 AM
Flachbau
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by turbowagon
I am not sure about the white smoke but if I store the car for that long I will probably give fresh oil, gas and spark plug. Good luck and enjoy the beast after you have it all sort out.
I would do all fluids and wait to change sparkplugs for major service (unless you plan on doing that):

gas (add stabilizer, fill with gas and run out - then refill and run out again)
oil/filter
trans/diff
brakes bleed and refill

Paint repair for bubble near windshield on the lower window frame is common and not too expensive. Probably will have to pull windshield and reseal it as that is probably where the water is leaking in from.
Old 04-28-2009, 03:10 AM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 808 Likes on 494 Posts

Originally Posted by Flachbau

gas (add stabilizer, fill with gas and run out - then refill and run out again).
Change your fuel filter as well. If you did not add stabilizer to the fuel before you stored the car it is probably mostly varnish by now.
Old 04-28-2009, 11:17 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 1,936 Likes on 1,170 Posts

Welcome back and as the others said. I thought you sold the car, glad to hear you held onto it. Minor stuff. These cars hate to sit for long periods. Once fluids have been changed and some general cleaning and running it will work itself back.
Old 04-28-2009, 01:13 PM
Ian964
Pro

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Great, thanks for the help. I will let you guys know how it goes once I take it in on Monday.

I was thinking about selling the car a few years ago, but I'm glad I never did. I probably bought the car when I was too young (and too irresponsible!) for porches ownership. But I'm really looking forward to getting back into it.

Quick Reply: Getting my car back on the road, has sat for 3 years