964 Turbo Forum 1989-1994

Brake pad recommendations

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2009, 07:15 PM
Sal 965
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Brake pad recommendations

As i'm doing work on the car at the moment i'm going to take the chance to swap out my ceramic pads as they are getting down towards the limits.

So i'm going to be keeping the OEM drilled brake discs for the time being and want to know what everyone recommends for pads. I would use the search normally but it isn't being friendly tonight.

My main use will be fast road and some track use and was looking at Pagid but wasn't convinced with the noise when cold, so what is everyone running?
Old 04-23-2009, 09:19 PM
Boeing 717

Received 263 Likes on 158 Posts

I went with the textar.... they wont make any noise but they do make a lot of dust.
Old 04-24-2009, 10:03 PM
Turbohead
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 30 Posts

I use PFC 97 compound yes a little noisy ..but do they stop.! I love them.
Elliot
Old 04-25-2009, 10:18 AM
Staffan
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I tried a lot of different compounds.
Among the race pads the only ones that doesn't kill my rotors after just a few hours of track driving are yellow pagids (I can use orange at the rear) and PFC.

I find that the PCF make a little less sound and have a better "feel" than the Pagids. Also find that the PFC isolate break fluid from heat a little better than the Pagids. On my car the PFC is a little harder on the rotors, not much though.

I find the Textars works ok on the track but the pads wear pretty quickly, on the other hand rotors will run "for ever". Only real problem is poor isolation of heat between rotors and break fluid.
Old 04-26-2009, 09:38 AM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 827 Likes on 509 Posts

I have the stock pads on my turbo for road use and they are just fine. I have Pagid yellows on my RSA which sees track use only. They squeal like pigs and I would caution against using any race pads for regular street driving. Since they need to warm up for maximum effectiveness, it can be outright dangerous. I had Hawk HPS pads on the RSA previously and they were fine, except a little tough on the rotors.
Old 04-29-2009, 01:51 PM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'll give a big recommendation for Hawk HP-plus. They are, in my opinion, the best compromise street/track pad out there. They're not too noisy, stop fine when cold, aren't too hard on the rotors, and have excellent modulation when warmed up at the track. As long as you're running SuperBlue or better fluid, you should have no problems with fluid temps.
Old 04-29-2009, 02:01 PM
Vifa
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

[Sal 965] I have wanted to ask you this for a long time: have you been in Gumball? The stickers on you car seems to indicate this, and if so, do you have a thread with pics from the run? . .
Old 04-29-2009, 05:40 PM
Sal 965
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Vifa,

I did Gumball in 2005. There isn't a thread but if you check out my posts from May 2005 onwards there should be a few pics posted.
Old 04-30-2009, 07:24 AM
Staffan
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pcar964
I'll give a big recommendation for Hawk HP-plus. They are, in my opinion, the best compromise street/track pad out there. They're not too noisy, stop fine when cold, aren't too hard on the rotors, and have excellent modulation when warmed up at the track. As long as you're running SuperBlue or better fluid, you should have no problems with fluid temps.
Are these different from the "blue Hawk"?

I tried blue Hawk on my car twice, had a warped disk after 2 hours first time, and after 3 hours the second time. Both occations where on the Nürburgring which is known to be "gentle" on the breaks.
Old 04-30-2009, 09:08 AM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 827 Likes on 509 Posts

Originally Posted by Staffan
Are these different from the "blue Hawk"?

I tried blue Hawk on my car twice, had a warped disk after 2 hours first time, and after 3 hours the second time. Both occations where on the Nürburgring which is known to be "gentle" on the breaks.

Yes, Hawk Blue are pure racing pads which will drive your brake system, calipers, fluid to very high temperatures. With these pads, it is very critical to cool your brakes down carefully at the end of a session as to avoid warping.

Hawk HP-plus are street pads but I've heard that they can squeal quite a bit.

Hawk HPS are excellent street pads that I have used on the track without problems as well.

Last edited by Frank 993 C4S; 04-30-2009 at 09:25 AM.

Quick Reply: Brake pad recommendations