Major oil issue

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2009, 07:05 AM
Staffan
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by fritz k.
hi Staffan,

impressive smoke, just wondering it comes out left side, would have expected it rather on the right tip.

will be no comfort to steve, but in my experience is oil leaking a special issue of low mileage cars. obviously it is necessary to drive them from time to time in order to keep all the gaskets and sealings in good condition.

my car have had a few leaks as well, i recently fixed one between chain and camshaft housing. hope that this was the last for a while.

to clarify the minor leaks it is helpful put the car on a lifter and have a look from underneath while she idles.

fritz
Lol, yeah it is impressive isn't it!

I later found oil residue around the turbo blades on the cold side, so it was (at least) leaking oil into the intake. I found that it leaked more when the turbo was hot and under full boost which would direct a lot of exhaust out to the left side. When the turbo was cold I had no smoke, started after a minute or two of hard driving and got worse by the minute.
Old 04-22-2009, 07:53 AM
Staffan
Burning Brakes

Steve, about the spray pattern on your car.
This is what my car looks like after a track session and it doesn't come from the turbo on my car. When you have an oil leak anywhere really, it will make patterns like this when driving and when standing still it will drip down on hot parts creating smoke.

While writing, Steve unless it's an overfill it might be good to check if the oil filter sits tight.
Old 04-22-2009, 01:30 PM
mishpet
Intermediate

hi steve
if you want to use my 2 post ramp over the weekend its no problem and i am only in preston 5 mins off the tickled trout
pete.
Old 04-22-2009, 03:28 PM
Sal 965
Three Wheelin'

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by mishpet
hi steve
if you want to use my 2 post ramp over the weekend its no problem and i am only in preston 5 mins off the tickled trout
pete.
Thanks for the very kind offer. I'll see how i get on in the evenings cleaning and locating before i decide if i want to drive it more than a couple of miles. Felt fine all the way back from Wales on Sunday but don't know if i've push my luck as far as i can with driving it.

It would be great if you could post more details and pictures of your car especially the interior and some of the upgrades you have over standard.
Old 04-26-2009, 03:22 PM
lobofraggin
Track Day

Hmm,

I had a similar oil puddle in front of the right rear wheel, turned out to be a leaking oil line, after 17 years the feeding line to the front oil cooler developed a small hole in the pretty rusty oil line. Don´t know about the smoke from the exhaust @ idle, mine was smoking and smelling as well, but because of all the oil that got sprayed everywhere while driving.

Klaus

Forgot to mention: 1991 964 turbo 3,3l
Old 04-26-2009, 04:43 PM
Vifa
Burning Brakes

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I have some kind og oil issue too right now. A strange noise came from the engine this week, it sounds like metal banging metal. The sound matches the rpm. But haven't noticed any smoke at all. The car has been sitting for a couple of days now, and it has leaked oil in the middle right under the engine.

Any suggestions on what can be wrong?
Old 04-26-2009, 06:06 PM
Metal Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 429 Likes on 309 Posts

Originally Posted by Vifa
A strange noise came from the engine this week, it sounds like metal banging metal. The sound matches the rpm.
Sounds like a spun rod bearing
Old 04-27-2009, 05:37 AM
Vifa
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Metal Guru
Sounds like a spun rod bearing
If so, how big is the damage then ?.. :S And how expensive will the repair be?
Old 04-27-2009, 08:08 AM
Staffan
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Vifa
I have some kind og oil issue too right now. A strange noise came from the engine this week, it sounds like metal banging metal. The sound matches the rpm. But haven't noticed any smoke at all. The car has been sitting for a couple of days now, and it has leaked oil in the middle right under the engine.

It could be many things, I had my share of scary moments and so far I dodge all the bullits, lets hope this isn't bad.

The first advice is not to start the engine.
It can be tempting, thinking it can't be that bad.
Hopefully it isn't, but if it is, you might do damage that make things a lot more expensive.

First try to see where the oil is coming from.
If you are really lucky it could be a broken pulley to the servo pump.
The pulley can partly "break" and then sit in a warped angel, tearing the seal apart and then rotating against the lid. Happened on my car, scared the crap out me. But that was more of grinding sound, not banging.

But again, first check to see if you can source the oil leak.
Second step is to have someone look at it, rotate (not start) the engine and try to figure out where the sound comes from and take it from there.

Start a new thread and keep us posted!
Good luck man!
Old 04-27-2009, 05:26 PM
Metal Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 429 Likes on 309 Posts

The only way to diagnose a bad rod bearing without doing a teardown is to idle the engine and cancel each cylinder in succession. The noise will lessen when the offending cylinder is canceled.
Of course, if the oil you see on the floor is from a hole in the block, then you have your answer!
If it is a rod bearing, the engine will need a complete rebuild. The total bill will be $10,000 U.S. give or take a couple grand, if you don't need a new crankshaft.
Just exactly what happened when you noticed the knocking sound?
Old 04-27-2009, 06:33 PM
Vifa
Burning Brakes

I have started a new thread about my engine/oil issue, I don't want to steal Sal 965 thread: https://rennlist.com/forums/964-turb...-oil-leak.html
Old 04-29-2009, 05:39 PM
Sal 965
Three Wheelin'

Well i've started the big clean up tonight and used a suction pump to get some of the oil out first via the filler pipe.

The main areas of spray/leaks seem to have been in the right hand side rear wheel arch where the oil pipes are as the final muffler was coated from the top, down the front and into the back of the wheel itself as spray. This is where the smoke was coming from when the car was switched off when taking breaks on the run.

Also the oil drip reciever for the turbo was well coated and the area directly above that which has spray dripped and run down to and along one of the headers.

Once i get further in and much cleaner i'll run the car for a while and see if i can narrow the issues down for photographs and feedback.
Old 05-09-2009, 03:48 PM
Sal 965
Three Wheelin'

Got the car up on ramps this morning for a good inspection.

The oil pipe in the rear arch had corroded through and was weaping a replacement has been ordered along with a few new rubber hoses to the oil tank which i thought i'd do for good practice whilst in there.

The other leak is the main rear pipe which runs across the rear of the engine and finishes above the heat exchanger. This has corroded and may have even been rubbing on the heat exchanger. As this looks like a weak spot to me i am looking at a custom replacement pipe and have posted separately for advice on that. The leak in the pipe has been dripping on the heat exchanger and the hot oil spray has been deposited mainly up behind the turbo drip tank and then attracting dirt and dripping itself when warm. Some of this must have been what was on the bodywork as well.

To have both of these issues together i can only assume that with the engine cleaning and detailing i have cleaned off dirt/road tar and removed some bubbled rust on the pipes which was keeping the leaks at bay.

Having had a good look around the underside of the engine i'm thinking of replacing a few of the pipes, including the fuel rails, and a lot of the bolts which look far from their best after 15 years of typical British weather. The car deserves the best care i can give.

A bit of good news is that having took about a litre of oil out of the tank with a suction puller there was no smoke from the turbo tailpipe when driving or idling the car today even when warm.

A final bit of news was i had removed the final silencer last night to help with the cleaning and investigating around the engine and had re-fitted the g-pipe. I can categorically state now that a g-pipe with the straight de-cat pipe is just way too loud. It was scaring both the young and old at bus stops.....

Quick Reply: Major oil issue