965 runs rich?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2009, 07:38 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 863 Likes on 530 Posts

Originally Posted by pnoob2
ok took it to the dealership...apparantly my thermostat is not working ....now that Im back in los angeles anybody know a good air cooled mechanic in the walnut/diamond bar area ? Man what a way to start 965 ownership.... Even after all this bs I can tell this cars gonna be a keeper =)
Good news and easy fix. BTW - your experience pales in comparison to mine - Enough said.

When I purchased my RSA, I had the following shop do the PPI. I am not sure how close they are to Walnut/Diamond:

Precision Motion
Old 03-11-2009, 05:28 AM
Staffan
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by pnoob2
ok took it to the dealership...apparantly my thermostat is not working ....now that Im back in los angeles anybody know a good air cooled mechanic in the walnut/diamond bar area ? Man what a way to start 965 ownership.... Even after all this bs I can tell this cars gonna be a keeper =)
Good they found the problem! Not the start of your ownership that you wanted, but rest assured these cars are known for their high quality, unless you are among the unlucky few you should get many miles without expensive repairs.
Happy driving!
Old 03-11-2009, 05:07 PM
pnoob2
Advanced

update! I opted to not replace the thermostat...instead they are going to open it and clean it...a seasoned Porsche mechanic told me its 99% gunk build up that causes the stuck thermostats. Clean it test it and reinstall it...if that doesnt work I have to pay $400 bux for a new one =( Then Im having new valve gaskets cam seals and all belts replaced so the car will be PERFECT! After all this is done new b&b headers and exhaust are going on the car unfortunately came with polished HRE's which are a little too bling for my taste..so I am having them powdercoated solid black including the lips for a more subtle look. Next on my list will be a turbo upgrade...just haven't done my research yet on that.
Old 03-11-2009, 07:34 PM
parsecnc4
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Still no pics...?

Old 03-11-2009, 09:13 PM
pnoob2
Advanced

cars been at the mechanic since I drove it home from Seattle =( I should get it back by early next week with all the fixes and mods and hopefully a detail !!!
Old 03-11-2009, 10:59 PM
Turbohead
Rennlist Member

Received 50 Likes on 30 Posts

pnoob2

Back to your fuel smell.
if it smells like raw gas you should check for a fuel leak Check the Warm up reg
these sometimes leak through the rubber vent hose.you don't see drips but it is dangerous and should be replaced.

If the smell is unburned fuel from exhaust than it is just running rich...not dangerous but should be fixed.

Elliot
Old 03-12-2009, 01:07 AM
pnoob2
Advanced

ok after some more thought... i realized the unburned fuel smell is in my cabin only after boost ....very very faint...the unburnt oil smell is from the engine or the exhaust and that is way stronger ...I can smell it everytime I park and turn off the engine. I did have a slight valve gasket and cam seal leak that I am having addressed which may account for some of the smell from oil hitting hot engine parts but that still does not explain the oil smell coming from the exhaust fumes itself....

Quick Reply: 965 runs rich?