GUT THE CAT???

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2009, 09:51 AM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 911addict
Mike, don't see what you mean. It fitted perfectly.
Anyway that's me outta this thread, I spent a lot of time and money working out what's good for our cars and what's not worth scimping on. Personally I found butchering exhaust pipes a PITA.
Aren't you the one who recently started a thread detailing that you had spent something like $60k maintaining your car over the past few years?

With all due respect, not all of us are in a position to do that! I'll be doing scrimping and saving anywhere I can with my 965! Especially on parts as simple and harmless to the car as a straight pipe. But, to each his own - I'm sure your car is absolutely perfect!
Old 01-23-2009, 02:35 PM
911addict
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

pcar, no offence, apologies.
Yes, I spent a fortune but that was a mix of faults (unfortunatley my PPI missed alot of stuff), improvements eg alarm, lights, hifi, to make it more modern in creature comforts and alot on mods to make it more raw, faster, and exciting. My spend was not typical compared to some others, but was similar or less than some on here :-)

That said, a 965 is NOT cheap to run, and especially if you drive it alot (I did around 1000 miles a month and track time). Even guys who don't use the car much have expense as lack of usage has its own issues.

Back on topic, I am saying that these cars are SUPERcars, not just SPORTScars and as such they need the very best parts and maintenance.

I did a LOT of research on exhausts, and generally the straight pipe is not liked by owners (ask why they are always for sale second hand). A big reason is the sound it makes (and especially so if you go for a rear muffler delete or sports replacement as well.) But its worth a try, as you say, its cheap, and if you don't like it, you can change after.

Well made units like the Scart, fit well, last long and sound great. But yes, they cost.
regards,
Mark
Old 01-23-2009, 02:42 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,103 Likes on 1,261 Posts

Yes, I spent a fortune but that was a mix of faults (unfortunatley my PPI missed alot of stuff), improvements eg alarm, lights, hifi, to make it more modern in creature comforts and alot on mods to make it more raw, faster, and exciting. My spend was not typical compared to some others, but was similar or less than some on here :-)

That said, a 965 is NOT cheap to run, and especially if you drive it alot (I did around 1000 miles a month and track time). Even guys who don't use the car much have expense as lack of usage has its own issues.

Back on topic, I am saying that these cars are SUPERcars, not just SPORTScars and as such they need the very best parts and maintenance.

I did a LOT of research on exhausts, and generally the straight pipe is not liked by owners (ask why they are always for sale second hand). A big reason is the sound it makes (and especially so if you go for a rear muffler delete or sports replacement as well.) But its worth a try, as you say, its cheap, and if you don't like it, you can change after.

Well made units like the Scart, fit well, last long and sound great. But yes, they cost.
regards,
Mark
I don't drive mine that much a little over 10k miles since 2003. I am surprised that upkeep has been so reasonable. Other than oil changes and general maintenance all my money has gone into modifications and gas. I probably spent $15k on upgrades and around $2000 on maintenance in 10k miles. My biggest expense was replacing the alternator that had spun a bearing. I also have fluids flushed every 2 years. It can go either way with these cars but eventually they do cost but that goes for 911's in general.
Old 01-25-2009, 03:28 PM
pcar964
Addict
Lifetime Rennlist

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

regards,
Mark
Point taken Mark, and you're right these cars do deserve to be maintained to the highest degree, they are indeed supercars imho.

Maybe I'm just a little leery of aftermarket Porsche tuners because I'm sick of being gouged I went with a used GHL straight pipe sold by another rennlister here, does anyone have experience with this piece? Is the sound good?
Old 02-01-2009, 01:03 PM
denver88carrera
Rennlist Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If anyone else has a used cat-delete pipe for a stock '91 Turbo please PM me. Brand and polish are not critical, I am primarily interested in proper fit and function.

Kevin

Quick Reply: GUT THE CAT???