Notices
964 Turbo Forum 1989-1994

State inspection issues with modified cars (NJ members)

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2008, 10:53 AM
ra34
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post
Default State inspection issues with modified cars (NJ members)

I am thinking of buying a modified 94 911 turbo. I think there is no way it will pass our state inspection (NJ) with its headers and no cats.

From the state website it looks like I may be able to register it as a collector vehicle. The requirements are that you have to apply for this classification at the time of registration.

http://www.nj.gov/mvc/Vehicle/collector_vehicles.htm

Vehicles applying for collector vehicle status must be approved by MVC. Follow these steps to apply:

Submit a letter from the vehicle manufacturer, recognized car club or a collector organization attesting to the vehicle’s limited production status. Must be printed on official letterhead

Has anyone done this or had good luck with inspections with modified cars? Has anybody gotten this colector car status? Does anyone have something official to document the limited production of these cars? It looks like I have to buy the car, register it, and then apply for this collector car status (and hope I get it). I think this is somewhat risky. I tried to call the DMV to see if this is the case. They said someone would have to call me back....and so far no follow up info.
Old 12-07-2008, 05:19 PM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 835 Likes on 515 Posts

No experience with this, however, if it helps, the headers themselves are ok for the inspection. Maybe all you need is the cat reinstalled.
Old 12-12-2008, 03:20 PM
porshah
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have a 91 Turbo with no cats. First year I bought the car, I had it inspected by a private facility for $50. After that I got it registered as collector vehicle. I didn't have to submit any letters. Just went to local DMV and filled out the paper work. They changed the sticker on the car, asked me to drive the car for 1 mile - so they can make sure the odometer was not disconnected - came back and off I went. No other inspection was performed. I think the only limitation is that you can not drive the car more than 3000 miles per year.
Old 12-12-2008, 03:37 PM
speednme
Rennlist Member

Received 48 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by ra34
I am thinking of buying a modified 94 911 turbo. I think there is no way it will pass our state inspection (NJ) with its headers and no cats.

From the state website it looks like I may be able to register it as a collector vehicle. The requirements are that you have to apply for this classification at the time of registration.

http://www.nj.gov/mvc/Vehicle/collector_vehicles.htm

Vehicles applying for collector vehicle status must be approved by MVC. Follow these steps to apply:

Submit a letter from the vehicle manufacturer, recognized car club or a collector organization attesting to the vehicle’s limited production status. Must be printed on official letterhead

Has anyone done this or had good luck with inspections with modified cars? Has anybody gotten this colector car status? Does anyone have something official to document the limited production of these cars? It looks like I have to buy the car, register it, and then apply for this collector car status (and hope I get it). I think this is somewhat risky. I tried to call the DMV to see if this is the case. They said someone would have to call me back....and so far no follow up info.
I had collectors inspection on my modified 94 3.6 turbo and now have it on my 89 911 targa. If you need info feel free to call me @201-218-6398
Old 12-12-2008, 11:52 PM
ra34
Rennlist Member

Received 8 Likes on 1 Post

I think collectors registration will be the way to go then. I am glad it is easy to get.

Thanks for all the replies.

Last edited by ra34; 12-12-2008 at 11:53 PM. Reason: wrong term

Quick Reply: State inspection issues with modified cars (NJ members)