3.6T Suspension Upgrade - Need advice on settings

Search this Thread

Old 09-09-2008, 05:59 PM
Turbohead
Rennlist Member

Received 49 Likes on 30 Posts

Originally Posted by cobalt
Elliot,

I know you can get close with the JIC's, unlike the Bilsteins they are fully threaded. Although I have gone over this with several mechanics and 2 cars running the Bilstein HD's and H&R reds. How is it I have 2 cars with identical suspensions as described by the OP that are lowered to their max and cannot do what others say can be achieved using stock components and these upgrades? This is the clarification I am looking for. If I can't do it on 2 cars that is proof enough for me it can't be done with this setup. Something is being missed here or is being changed to make this work.

I am not saying you can't lower a 3.6T to RS height I am saying it needs more than just Bilstein Hd's and H&R reds changed to achieve it.
Yes the JIC body is fully threaded and lowers the car with out inhibiting the shock travel.
It is working well for me.
Elliot
Old 09-14-2008, 02:30 PM
Metal Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 429 Likes on 309 Posts

Anthony, here is the driver's side coilover:
Attached Images  
Old 09-14-2008, 06:42 PM
ghhally
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts

Seems like a Bilstein with an extended thread.
When I was talking to Carnewal the other day, they mentioned that this can be requested.
Old 09-15-2008, 10:19 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,081 Likes on 1,251 Posts

Originally Posted by ghhally
Seems like a Bilstein with an extended thread.
When I was talking to Carnewal the other day, they mentioned that this can be requested.
Anything can be done, all it takes is money. I now have no doubt you can lower your car to RS height with these in the car. Unfortunately the rest of us with standard Bilstein HD's and H&R's are SOL.

This explains the confusion, looks like you have an additional 2 inches of thread.

Thanks.
Old 09-16-2008, 06:18 AM
ThunderC4S
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Update - I just received all the small parts (Ex-Germany) for the suspension upgrade - (front strut gaskets, bolts, nuts, washers, front abs clips etc.).

I am going to have to get the lower mounting hole on the front Bilstein struts drilled out to take the M14 sized bolt (Turbo 3.6 only) or replace the bolt with a M12 sized bolt (same size as the top mounting hole).

I guess Porsche used the larger lower bolt (M14) on the 3.6T rather than the M12 size lower bolt on the C2/C4's etc. for a reason. Maybe because of the larger 18" wheels ?
Attached Images  

Last edited by ThunderC4S; 09-16-2008 at 06:34 AM.
Old 09-16-2008, 10:53 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,081 Likes on 1,251 Posts

Originally Posted by ThunderC4S
Update - I just received all the small parts (Ex-Germany) for the suspension upgrade - (front strut gaskets, bolts, nuts, washers, front abs clips etc.).

I am going to have to get the lower mounting hole on the front Bilstein struts drilled out to take the M14 sized bolt (Turbo 3.6 only) or replace the bolt with a M12 sized bolt (same size as the top mounting hole).

I guess Porsche used the larger lower bolt (M14) on the 3.6T rather than the M12 size lower bolt on the C2/C4's etc. for a reason. Maybe because of the larger 18" wheels ?
IIRC we needed to purchase the front struts from the 993TT for the 3.6T which came with the larger bolt opening. I believe drilling out the opening is better way to go.
Old 09-16-2008, 03:23 PM
ghhally
Rennlist Member

Received 32 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by ThunderC4S

You're fine drilling out the hole. Did the same earlier this year!
Old 11-03-2008, 02:52 AM
ThunderC4S
Racer

Update.

Car has gone into the workshop. Should be back in a few days.

http://au.youtube.com/watch?v=D_h-JGNue-o

Last edited by ThunderC4S; 11-04-2008 at 12:41 AM.
Old 11-03-2008, 05:29 AM
turbo 3.6
Racer

I really look forward to hearing your thoughts on the new susp, as my car has 964 RS struts and springs and i do find it very stiff and harsh on our crap NZ roads - I may end up changing to your combo.
Old 11-07-2008, 10:12 PM
ThunderC4S
Racer

I just picked the 3.6T up today from Porsche Centre Melbourne. The suspension work was done by the Motorsport Department (they do GT3 Cup cars etc).

The height is factory ROW height (less about 10mm). Alignment is factory with a slight increase in negative camber in the front. It was also corner balanced.

I don't track the car so I prefer a street setup.

Driving it back home today it feels like a different car. The dampening is actually working now (The factory Boge shocks were rock hard even with 20,000 kms on them).

It's much more comfortable over road irregularities then before and even with the higher rate progressive H&R springs it feels stiff but very compliant. I did not get the opportunity to push it hard but I am sure it will handle just great.

Rgds,

ThunderC4S (John)
Old 11-08-2008, 01:27 AM
jeff91C2T
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by cobalt
Anything can be done, all it takes is money. I now have no doubt you can lower your car to RS height with these in the car. Unfortunately the rest of us with standard Bilstein HD's and H&R's are SOL.

This explains the confusion, looks like you have an additional 2 inches of thread.

Thanks.
Yes...money indeed. But not completely SOL...here's what I had on my 91;

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/showthread.php?t=393642
Old 04-08-2010, 04:51 AM
wagonface
Instructor

Morning all, I have just ordered Bilstein HD & H&R reds to replace my setup (which I think was Bilstein as well, but is knackered). Mine is a 3.3L '91 car on 18" speedline replicas (Veloce).

I was wondering if I can get some advice about ride height and setup, considering the following factors:
- I mostly do motorway miles, and 1 track day per year. In my mind I am thinking I would like an "aggressive street setup", but thats only because I think thats sounds cool
- my car is already lowered, so I am used to a lowered car, although I dont know what height it is at
- I live in London and we have the best speed bumps in the world. I dont want to have to avoid all roads with speed bumps (I have bought a front protection bar from Carnewal as well), but I am happy to treat them with caution
- I have B&B headers and a larger turbo

Thanks for any advice, Josh
Attached Images    
Old 11-08-2016, 02:29 PM
bonehead
Rennlist Member

Received 299 Likes on 134 Posts

Thread revival.
Now i'm thoroughly confused as to which suspension setup I should get. Was initially set on the Bilstein HD/H&R springs but from pretty much all the pics I've seen here and from what Cobalt is saying, it doesn't look like it will lower the car enough to my liking.

H&R Street Performance Coilovers seemed like the best answer, but again, if Anthony is correct, even the 1.7" lowering limits of these units won't be enough.

https://rennlist.com/forums/964-turb...ml#post5766232

Now, I just found this thread and pics from member mmporsche. Probably a bit lower than most would prefer, but I'm aiming for this.

https://rennlist.com/forums/964-turb...-my-turbo.html

Unclear if this is the Bilstein HD/H&R springs (not sure how that could be based on other photos I've seen of this setup) or the H&R coilovers. I put in a PM to clarify exactly what setup he's running.
Old 11-09-2016, 09:44 AM
Metal Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 429 Likes on 309 Posts

The H&R's will get you there but you better live in a place where the roads are billard-table smooth because your going to have little suspension compliance.
Old 11-09-2016, 10:41 AM
bonehead
Rennlist Member

Received 299 Likes on 134 Posts

Originally Posted by Metal Guru
The H&R's will get you there but you better live in a place where the roads are billard-table smooth because your going to have little suspension compliance.
Actually, Paul, roads here are pretty terrible

But I'm not driving it to work everyday, so it'll be fine.

Now this is where the constant confusion on my part comes into play. By "H&R's", do you mean the HD Shocks/H&R springs setup or the H&R street performance coilover set? Completely different things.

Quick Reply: 3.6T Suspension Upgrade - Need advice on settings