964 Turbo Forum 1989-1994

Better mileage without cat?

Search this Thread

Old 03-16-2008, 06:12 PM
turboholic
Racer

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Better mileage without cat?

Since I decatted my car I noticed a better mileage per fuel tank, can the decat be the reason? Or did I become a ***** driver since the cat is gone ? It goes a hell of a lot better then with the cat...
Old 03-17-2008, 04:53 AM
biglicks
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

good question, I've just had a sport cat fitted (sound clip to follow) and will run a mileage test this week to see if it makes any difference. Not sure how it would but you never know.

Steve
Old 03-18-2008, 10:36 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,119 Likes on 1,271 Posts

Well the cat is very restrictive and it is possible you need to press on the gas less in order for the turbo to spool up faster and therefore indirectly achieving better gas mileage. Although I doubt it. I am having the 100cell sport cat installed this week. Who knows i will see if I see any difference also.
Old 03-18-2008, 11:30 AM
biglicks
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cobalt
Well the cat is very restrictive and it is possible you need to press on the gas less in order for the turbo to spool up faster and therefore indirectly achieving better gas mileage. Although I doubt it. I am having the 100cell sport cat installed this week. Who knows i will see if I see any difference also.
it's a good theory, although if you are like me, only more reason to press the pedal to the floor, kicking the butt out of my fuel consumption. I hope there anen't any environmentalists hanging around here "more fuel consumption" very bad words!!

Steve

Quick Reply: Better mileage without cat?