964 Turbo Forum 1989-1994

fuel enrichment advice...

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2008, 11:06 PM
jimJ
Track Day

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default fuel enrichment advice...

My PO had installed k29 turbo and 1.1bar wastegate spring...
From my research in this forum, it seemed that fuel won't be enough at high end of rpm...
I use my cars about once a week, and the maximum speed that I dare to reach in the crowded roads of Taiwan is about 200km...and for only a few seconds...
however, I love to floor the pedal up till third gear...

My question is should I install a fuel enrichment injector OR as my local garage suggest a remap of the ECU to alter the CIS, OR just leave it like it is now, since I don't track the car, and dont' drive it at high speed for long duration???
OR change everything back to stock, but this is my last option since i am used to the HP that the k29 gives to the car...??

Thanks for all advices...

JIMMY
Old 01-13-2008, 11:09 PM
dholling13
Burning Brakes

Jimmy,

If possible, can you take it to a shop who has a dyno? There you could plug in an air fuel ratio sensor and test the mixture at all RPM's and adjust the fuel head as needed. This is what I did with my car when I installed a higher flowing turbo.
Old 01-14-2008, 01:29 AM
Ag02M5
Three Wheelin'

Hi. I just got back from Taiwan. My wife was born there.

I would not ever go to that shop again. They clearly know squat about the car. The car has mechanical fuel injection...there is no map.

The best solution going right now (aside EFI) is a Brian Leask adjustable WUR, Brian Leask RPM solenoid, and Imagine Auto modified fuel head. There is talk of a digital WUR but it has been vaporware for years now.

Imagine Auto is a top tuner (ask Drew ) and Brian Leask is very knowledgeable on our CIS systems.
Old 01-14-2008, 01:32 AM
Ag02M5
Three Wheelin'

As Drew suggested, step one is to dyno the car and get air/fuel ratio readings to see if the car is indeed running lean on the top end.

I am going to install one of the data logging tools so I can capture my own AFR readings and tune at home. Zeitronix and Innovate are popular choices.
Old 01-14-2008, 05:42 AM
tjr
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jimmy,

I'd get rid of the 1.1 bar wastegate spring as soon as you possibly can as the standard 965 engine just isn't designed to cope with that level of boost and sooner or later will go bang! You need major engine mods. to cope with that level of boost, so I'd check what other modifications the previous owner made. The standard wastgate is pretty old now and may not have been holding that actual level of boost anyway, so hopefully no damage has been done.

As both both Drew and Ag0M5 suggest, get it to a shop who knows these cars ASAP and get them to check it out thoroughly. Oh, and as already said, if your existing garage thinks our cars have ECUs, then they know jack s**t about our cars!

Good luck.

Tim.
Old 01-14-2008, 05:43 AM
Staffan
Burning Brakes

Agree with the others, the shop clearly doesn't know what they are doing.

Secondly, do a search about using an extra injector, you will find that most experts argue against it on these cars since the fuel won't spread evenly to all cylinders potentially putting you in a situation where you think your AFR is good, but instead you are running lean on one or more cylinders.

As others suggested, start with checking your AFR, have a good shop trying to get you a decent AFR (12.0 preferably 11.5) by adjusting the idle co ****, it does have some influence on the total AFR. My guess is that you will run a bit lean, but you never know. If you are running lean you are looking at making your WUR adjustable. Lots of information about that on this forum and the 930 forum.

Personally I would say 1.1 is a little bit over the top, and you will get more of a problem with the pressure switch (see below), 1 bar would be my recommandation especially with a turbo that can flow that much air even at high revs. You will create lots of heat, make sure you run with good fuel quality and that your AFR is good.

When you increase the boost to these levels your turbo overboost pressure switch at the back of the intercooler will trigger. Do a search and you will find out how to deal with that. Don't by-pass this function by grouding the pressure switch, bad idea IMHO.
Old 01-15-2008, 11:04 AM
jimJ
Track Day

Thanks for all the inputs...
I will change the wastegate spring to 0.8 bar just for safety...and then dyno the car to get the AFR.
0.8bar should be good enough for me...i want to enjoy the car without concerning when i will detonate the engine...
thanks again guys...this forum is awesome..

jimmy
Old 01-15-2008, 11:44 AM
jimJ
Track Day

Another novice question for all the pros...

what are the differences b/t Brian Leask's adjustable WUR/rpm solenoid and the ANDIAL fuel enrichment and the Imagine Auto modified fuel injectors???
how are they differed in function??

jimmy
Old 01-15-2008, 12:50 PM
dholling13
Burning Brakes

If you go down to a .8 bar spring and have the car on a dyno; adjusting the one allen screw on the top of the fuel head could get you at 12-1 AFR's. This is where you want to be at higher RPM's. So you might not need any additional parts.
Old 01-15-2008, 02:32 PM
Staffan
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by jimJ
Another novice question for all the pros...

what are the differences b/t Brian Leask's adjustable WUR/rpm solenoid and the ANDIAL fuel enrichment and the Imagine Auto modified fuel injectors???
how are they differed in function??

jimmy
You probably mean Imagine Auto modified fuel head, generates more fuel overall.
Andial lowers the WUR's control pressure "electronically", lower control pressure means more fuel.
Brian tampers with the WUR, it's like lowering the control pressure.
Old 01-15-2008, 02:49 PM
nathanUK '81 930 G50
Race Car

Basically the Andial unit is now out of date.

The BL WUR & his RPM switch gets the AFR curve how you need it.

The IA fuel head mod is needed when you simply cannot get enough fuel into the engine at full boost WOT. The head is CNC'd machined to flow more fuel, the injectors are not the restriction.
Old 01-15-2008, 06:21 PM
Metal Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 430 Likes on 310 Posts

Originally Posted by dholling13
If you go down to a .8 bar spring and have the car on a dyno; adjusting the one allen screw on the top of the fuel head could get you at 12-1 AFR's. This is where you want to be at higher RPM's. So you might not need any additional parts.
Drew, aren't you running 1 bar without a Leask WUR?
Old 01-15-2008, 06:37 PM
dholling13
Burning Brakes

Close, I run a .9 bar spring in my Tial waste gate. AFR's are perfect at 12.001 to 1 at 6500 RPM's. It wasn't necessary for me to adjust the fuel head on my car; nor did I need an adjustable fuel head.

My problem was over boosting; that is until I emailed the PorschePHD...
Old 01-15-2008, 08:54 PM
jimJ
Track Day

Drew,

but i have a k29 turbo...do u think by adjusting allen screw on top of the fuel head will be sufficient enough? but of course i will still dyno the car...

jimmy
Old 01-16-2008, 08:12 AM
al 965
Instructor

You have to ck. your AFR to know

Quick Reply: fuel enrichment advice...