Notices
964 Turbo Forum 1989-1994
View Poll Results: Will the '94 Porsche Turbo go up in value within the next 3 years?
Yes
71.19%
No
15.25%
No clue?!?!
13.56%
Voters: 59. You may not vote on this poll

Opinions - Values for the '94 Turbo (present/future)

Search this Thread

Old 09-29-2007, 07:35 AM
racelance
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 9 Posts
Question Opinions - Values for the '94 Turbo (present/future)

Hi all-

I'm looking into purchasing a new home and was considering selling my '94 3.6 Turbo. It's the one featured in this youtube video: click here. I have a few other cars too, however I've always wanted this particular one in my collection. As you can see from my post I'm unsure about selling the car.

As you can see from the youtube video the car is in excellent condition inside & out. It actually has 23k miles on the odometer - they mentioned 13k or so if I recall correctly in the vid. Just out of curiosity I'd like to post this poll to hear what all of you think...

1) What do you feel the current market value is on the car?

(Assuming the car stays in the same condition & under 30k miles)
2) What do you feel the market value will be in 3 years (any guess to percentage increase)?

3) What do you feel the market value will be in 5 years (any guess to percentage increase)?

4) What do you feel the market value will be in 10 years (any guess to percentage increase)?

I think we can all see that the cars have been gradually heading upward in value within the past couple years. I personally don't see any downside, but wanted to see what everyone else thinks about these special cars.

Thanks for your time & help,

Lance
Old 09-29-2007, 08:04 AM
racelance
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 9 Posts

By the way, here's a picture of my car for those interested:

Cheers,

Lance
Old 09-29-2007, 10:56 AM
frayed
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

beautiful car. i would buy it from you if I hadn't already found a car.

not sure on values, but i'm guessing you'll lose money. if you sold you car for, say 70k, and got into a sound investment, i would think you would outperform any appreciation on the car. the real question is whether any potential appreciation will beat your opportunity cost.
Old 09-29-2007, 10:02 PM
KevTse
Instructor

Over here in Hong Kong manual air cooled 964 and 933 prices have raised around 50% in the last 3 years. One of the reasons I think is the new car prices have sky rocketed in recent years. I bought and restored my 964 Turbo 3.6 for around USD75,000 six months ago. Meanwhile the new BMW E92 M3 is selling for USD170,000 and new 997 GT2 is USD370,000 over here in Hong Kong.

In that perspective my 13 year old Turbo 3.6 isn't such a bad deal given its limited production.

Also car manufacturers are forced to make "greener" cars in hopes to tackle global warming so we are very unlikely to see another wild beast such as the 964 Turbo - single turbo air cooled engine with proper manual gearbox and rear wheel drive with no traction control. As newer cars get more sober people will start to appreciate the rawness of older 911 Turbo.

Lastly people who owns and drivers 964 Turbo's today love and treasure their cars. Ask the car owners of this forum and I think more than 80% of them wouldn't think of selling their cars. Second hand supply is truely limited and prices should stay relatively high.

I guess in the longer run 964 Turbo price wouldn't skyrocket as some of those classic Ferrari's but certainly I don't see the price can ever drop below the current market value.

Kev
Old 09-29-2007, 11:30 PM
PTurbo965
Team Owner

Received 1,657 Likes on 1,063 Posts

These cars will continue to go up in value for a number of reasons.
- classic look
- great ride
- thrilling performance
- they aren't making any more of them

I think you could get over $70k from a 911 nut if you wanted to wait for the right buyer. I still wouldn't suggest thinking of it as an investment though, as that may keep you from enjoying it fully.

Eventually, these cars will be going for over $150K at BJ auctions, but you will have to wait around a while for that.
Old 09-30-2007, 05:42 AM
Frank 993 C4S
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 898 Likes on 548 Posts

My guess is that values for well sorted and maintained turbos will go up as the population of nice cars is reduced due to accidents, etc. and for the reasons stated by others above. I would never look at a car like this as an "investment", unless of course I need to justify it to my wife.
Old 09-30-2007, 01:58 PM
graeme36s
Racer

I guess it all depends in which part of the world you are. In the UK prices of all the lightweight RS's 964, 993 etc.etc, have shot up where the 3.6 turbo has not gained anywhere like these cars. I guess £5K in the last 2 years. I have a mate who owns a 964 supercup car and even he says how can you justify all that money for an RS which is a much inferior product when compared to the turbo. (his words). I have almost made my mind up to sell mine due to the new purchase and if I do sell you can guarantee that the values will shoot up. In the UK there can't be many more than 25 left of the original supplied RHD cars. If you can afford to I would hang on. Besides my new purchase they are the last of the great rear wheel drive turbo's.
Old 09-30-2007, 05:26 PM
Bad Boys 1
Racer

Received 52 Likes on 28 Posts

Based on current real estate trends .........you might be better off with the car
Old 09-30-2007, 07:21 PM
SA Mike
Thank You
Rennlist Member

Obviously, a person that bought one of these brand new has not made any money, except for maybe the the S models. People like myself that have purchased them in recent years stand to do a little better since we did not pay new car price. I believe the value is definatley going up right now, simply for the fact that they are not making anymore and cars being wrecked, etc.... I would not sell my car for what I bought it for, it would definatley be more, so long as I don't go crazy with the miles. People that say these cars are worth 50-60K in exceptional condition and low miles are nuts. They are looking at some book or magazine. I mean lets face it, only one year this model came out.
Old 10-10-2007, 05:54 PM
buzz965
Track Day

The blue 3.6 that was for sale in Paragon UK made it's full £42K asking price & was bought blind over the phone! I saw the car & it was not perfect.
Old 10-11-2007, 01:19 AM
Wondering Nomad
2nd Gear

While I agree that there is a demand for these cars, I can't see them increasing too much more in value. If we should see any sort of recession in the near future, the collector car hobby will be one of the first sectors to take a hit. The people that own these cars say they'll go up. The people that don't own them say prices will go down. Who are we to believe? While I am absolutely in love with the Signal Green 3.6, I couldn't bring myself to pay $70-$80K for it right now. I certainly wouldn't pay over a $100K in a few years. There are much much investment worthy vehicles out there in that price range. This is a highly cyclical market.

Of the 466 cars produced for the US market, how many do you think are still on the road?

How many collectors are out there that want a 94' 3.6? For $80-$100K I could have a pristine 356. How many of those are still on the road?

Let me just say again that I LOVE the signal green 3.6. It is the sexiest thing I've seen in a long time. Of course my girlfriend hates it. But then again, it's not her money.

Last edited by Wondering Nomad; 10-11-2007 at 10:15 AM.
Old 10-17-2007, 12:43 AM
dm 3.6 turbo
Instructor

I think the market will stay where it is for the next year or two,the past year the 94 3.6 jumped $10k in value,the newer turbos 01-05..look great but dont feel or drive anything like the older ones(solid),Thats my take...
Old 10-17-2007, 03:54 AM
asimler
Racer

dm - you have a stunning looking engine bay - presumably it took a lot of time and effort?
Old 10-17-2007, 12:45 PM
dm 3.6 turbo
Instructor

Yes,you are correct,,I had it fully done by
Proto tech of fort lauderdale florida (David Hart) If anyone on the board
knows him or his work than they know what I have.

Quick Reply: Opinions - Values for the '94 Turbo (present/future)