964 Turbo Forum 1989-1994

Turbo-S Vents

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2007, 03:46 PM
markcoznottz
AutoX

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by cobalt
I had a long conversation with Robert Linton and Les Quam (former S owner)

Both had spoken to the werks people that worked on these cars. From what I recall they say they were the worlds most expensive holes. They were installed to emulate the 959 and had no given purpose other than to make the car unique. It is possible in the scheme of things it might draw heat away from the motor but if so it wasn't intended too. More like just needed to vent the air to prevent additional drag. Hell they look cool and make the car unique looking. Easy visual cue to tell an S from a non S car.

If I were you guys trust Mark's word he knows these cars better than anyone.
The 964 turbo S was really not worth the sum of its parts if we are honest. Hell it didnt even have the 3.6 engine!. It used a tuned 3.3 lump, streched to 380 bhp, 3.6 speedlines with the centres polished, loads of rs parts inside, and yet another design of rear wing. It certainly wasnt worth the premium over the 3.6 turbo. I remember reading that the 3.6 engine 'wasnt ready' for this car, so i assume it was released before the 3.6 turbo? That would make it the first speedline wearing 964.
Old 10-19-2007, 04:58 PM
Flachbau
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by markcoznottz
The 964 turbo S was really not worth the sum of its parts if we are honest. Hell it didnt even have the 3.6 engine!. It used a tuned 3.3 lump, streched to 380 bhp, 3.6 speedlines with the centres polished, loads of rs parts inside, and yet another design of rear wing. It certainly wasnt worth the premium over the 3.6 turbo. I remember reading that the 3.6 engine 'wasnt ready' for this car, so i assume it was released before the 3.6 turbo? That would make it the first speedline wearing 964.
Hmmm??? I think that you are a little confused. The 3.3 Turbo S is a different car than the 3.6 Turbo S. Not sure where you got the rest of your misinformation from ... but a few searches of this board would help. FYI, the last 3.6 Turbo imported into the US was a 3.6 Turbo S Flatnose.
Old 10-19-2007, 05:56 PM
graeme36s
Racer

Originally Posted by markcoznottz
Hi Mark,
sorry to disagree. As we all know with Porsche thoughout history, lightweight meant it cost you more money. Something that Porsche learnt after the 2.7RS. I own a 3.6 turbo so I have no axe to grind but in truth if you want to start tuning your turbo for big hp the 3.3 is the engine to do it on. The 3.6 is just not up to the job. Surely the premium paid was to do with rarity of numbers. A mate of mine has a lhd 3.6 turbo S, one of 12 cars that Porsche built and not flat fronted along with the certificate to prove it. The car was £136,000 new against our £90,000. It has litlle front splitters on the front bumper and the 385bhp engine. Oh' the original owner paid £5,000 extra to Porsche as he wanted it painted Ferrari Gelb (yellow). It has no lightweight interior, no holes in the rear wings. The bloody car is the same as ours. That chap must have been mad in my opinion.
Old 10-19-2007, 08:09 PM
ThunderC4S
Racer

Didn't the non-flastnose also have the "Exclusive" rear spoiler as well ?

I guess that's the premium you pay to have a "S" badge next to your "3.6" badge

ThunderC4S
Old 10-19-2007, 11:13 PM
dm 3.6 turbo
Instructor

As well as a car you cant drive.. because it will depreciate
Old 10-20-2007, 12:30 AM
Flachbau
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Wow! Where do I start responding to these posts ... should I? Ok I'll indulge myself ...

... the 3.6 block certainly cannot be made to be one of the most successful Le Mans and ALMS winning engines Porsche ever built

... and that block is not essentially the same block still used on the 997TT

... and we all know that the 1991/92 3.3 Turbo engine was not just a rehashed 930/69 engine from 1989

... and we all know that the very last limited edition fully hand built Porsche the Exclusive department ever built is chopped liver

... and holes in the rear wing add value

... and you have not - literally - lifted a page from my website

... and repeat after me "research before you post", "research before you post" (and I don't mean reading a Paul Frere book or Bruce Anderson's market values in Excellence - or most anything else in Excellence for that matter) ...

as for the rest of it ...

- never heard of one of 12 non-flatnose Turbo S lhd drive cars built. I would like to see the paperwork that proves it ... and believe me I'd love to stand corrected as that is what my website is all about ... but I doubt if I will be because official Porsche paperwork as you suggest it does not exist - and no other paperwork matters.

- can't drive it? My car has 42,xxx miles on it. I could easily sell it for $125K+ and the price is going up as these cars are rapidly disappearing off the market. $125K is around 70% of its MSRP ... could you sell your cars and get 70% of their original MSRP? FYI, I paid $70k for my car in 2000 ... hmm I wonder if I made any money on this car?

- the 17 Package cars are now selling for their MSRP or higher. Lower mileage flatnose cars are selling for 85-90% of their MSRP. That is not the case for any standard 3.6 Turbo or any late model Porsche production turbo since ..
Old 10-20-2007, 06:42 AM
911addict
Three Wheelin'

From the little I have read about the 3.3S it has a lot of different bits over a standard 3.3 or 3.6. The lightweight panels, and bits (special glass, interior, let alone the performance tweaks) would add alot of cost. And to create a good replica would also cost a fortune. It was a genuinely 'special' car.
Old 10-21-2007, 03:56 PM
markcoznottz
AutoX

Originally Posted by Flachbau
Hmmm??? I think that you are a little confused. The 3.3 Turbo S is a different car than the 3.6 Turbo S. Not sure where you got the rest of your misinformation from ... but a few searches of this board would help. FYI, the last 3.6 Turbo imported into the US was a 3.6 Turbo S Flatnose.
Sorry for being too general, i was talking from a UK point of view, the 7 turbo s cars made available for the UK were definately 3.3s, the 3.6S as i understand was never available in the UK, im sure someone else will enlighten us.
Old 10-21-2007, 04:25 PM
YYC930
Three Wheelin'

Having tuned a few 964 3.3 lumps to 450 HP I'd have to disagree with that characterisation.
Old 10-21-2007, 04:49 PM
38D
Nordschleife Master

Received 797 Likes on 404 Posts

Originally Posted by Flachbau
... the 3.6 block certainly cannot be made to be one of the most successful Le Mans and ALMS winning engines Porsche ever built

... and that block is not essentially the same block still used on the 997TT
The case from the 964 really is substantially the same at the current GT3 and turbo cars. Yes there are many subtle differences, but it is an evolution, not a revolution. A current GT3/turbo long block would look substantially the same as a 962 long block (water jackets, heads, cam towers).

Quick Reply: Turbo-S Vents