I am in the dog house !!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-2007, 08:17 PM
screamingflat6
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default I am in the dog house !!!!!!

Hi all,

Today I fitted a momo steering wheel and hub on to my turbo,what a nightmare!
I have fitted steering wheels onto my other Porsches with no problems, its a couple of hours job taking your time usually "not today though".I followed the instructions for removal in the companion book no problem.The wheel and the airbag safely removed no bangs or thumps there.The next thing get my new race wheel and hub out of the box great !!!!!!!!!
First fit the hub,,,no chance there is a white plastic spline holding the hub off and no slot for the indicator striker.The hub must be wrong!!!! ring the supplier the part number is right?its my car?Panic stations !!! have another look at the job split the steering colum.The problem now looks as if its some sort of switch which works with the air bag, ring my mate who tells me that it un-plugs under the dash.I then get under the dash no sign of cable movement so I gently pull the cable on the outside and a orange and black plug appear disconnect it and remove from spline. I then try the hub it fits !!!! but how do I get the power from the steering colum to the horn push?I now look at what I have removed its got a white centre with a rotary switch(power for air bag and horn supply)follow it back and it was connected to the black plug (power for horn).I then have to remove the hub base with copper ring so the cable goes through that hole for the power for my horn.I then try putting the steering colum back on,no chance fouling!!!!!! file 1.5mm around diameter fits great now.I then instal the steering wheel connect power to horn push we have dual tones !!!!!I have left enough slack cable for three turns of the wheel inside the colum.I don't think this is a good way of getting power to the horn but how else can you do it???

Please inform me,send photos etc etc as its bugging me.

Regards Gaz...

Ps, took till 8pm cancelled a meal out because of the problems,I am in the dog house and she's got a gob on!!!! but the wheel looks GREAT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 08-05-2007, 10:32 AM
nathanUK '81 930 G50
Race Car

My 930 has an aftermarket wheel on it too, possibly a Momo. Anyway, mine is poorly installed too. I too would like to see how it is done properly.

BUMP!!!
Old 08-05-2007, 03:32 PM
SA Mike
Thank You
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by screamingflat6
and she's got a gob on!!!!

???? Please elaborate
Old 08-06-2007, 04:19 AM
Megatron-UK
Burning Brakes

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by SA Mike
???? Please elaborate
She talks a lot!
Old 08-06-2007, 11:23 AM
kusee pee
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Megatron-UK
She talks a lot!
No, it means she's mighty pi**ed off!
Old 08-06-2007, 04:39 PM
screamingflat6
Racer

Default Love and harmony

Ha, ha,

It must be a Northern thing! YES A GOB ON IS WHEN SOMEONE IS SULKING MISERABLE AND GRUMPY.I was quite lucky as she woke the next day and spoke and was civil and yes by mid-day she looked at the new wheel on the car and liked it.
This weekend is de-cat time, I have lubed all the fasteners with oil and will start very early in the morning on this job as exhaust fasteners can be full of fun.I just hope she doesn't drop the jack down on me (only joking).

Regards Gaz,,,
Old 08-06-2007, 04:40 PM
nathanUK '81 930 G50
Race Car

Pi**ed off and letting you know about it by giving you ear-ache hehe
Old 08-07-2007, 01:19 PM
Mike Andrews
Instructor

There is a copper contact that fits into one of the holes in the turn signal housing that picks up power and transfers it to the horn contact ring.

I don't have the information at work but you should be able to find it on a PET diagram. Try looking at the CUP car (or Euro RS) diagram and see if that shows you where/what it is.

While you are at it.... get the part number for the air bag delete piece to get rid of that light that comes on every time you start the car...
Old 08-07-2007, 06:00 PM
screamingflat6
Racer

Thumbs up pickup

Thanks mike for that info I will pester the local dealer this friday for the part.
I was already aware of the plug-in to turn the air bag light off, its a 928 part I think.

Many thanks Gaz,
Old 08-10-2007, 11:07 AM
screamingflat6
Racer

Default pets r us

Hi,all

I have got my pet working again and today found this little fella,is he the saviour of my steering wheel horn push headache!!!

Part no,964 652 104 00 I hope this is it, also for you lot with the air bag blues
part no,928 612 220 00 this removes the warning light from the clock and fits into the loom inside the fwd part of the centre consul behind the screw panel.

I hope these numbers help,

Regards GAZ,

Quick Reply: I am in the dog house !!!!!!