Notices
964 Turbo Forum 1989-1994

How easy to replace a gauge face?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-2007, 10:29 AM
911addict
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How easy to replace a gauge face?

As seems to be common on our cars, my instrument gauge face is peeling - the one with the oil pressure and warning lights etc.

The cheapest I've managed to find it is in the States for $150!! and that's just for a single face! (original VDO)

I have a few questions:
1. How easy is it to replace the face only? i guess it's a pain to remove the needle etc.?
2. Does anyone know if there is a better deal?
3. As it seems to be a clear mebrane that's peeling away from the coloured squares, is it possible just to open up the glass and peel off the mebrane to expose the underneath?

I'm sure some others have had this problem...
Old 04-15-2007, 08:06 AM
Megatron-UK
Burning Brakes

Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts

My oil pressure/oil temp gauge warning light overlays are peeling too - I guess it's because they are the lights (I'm going to guess it's your oil light, main warning light, and handbrake light?) that are most often lit (with ignition turned on, with handbrake on, and when low on fuel - well the master light is anyway).

Seems a shame to replace a perfectly good gauge... so i was contemplating a new face or even a set of overlays instead?
Old 04-15-2007, 08:23 AM
Megatron-UK
Burning Brakes

Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts

Just taken these quick pics... the only peeling warning lights are those on the oil gauge, the rest; fuel, rev counter, clock are all fine.

It's got to be that those particular bulbs are lit much more of the time than the others.
Attached Images     
Old 04-15-2007, 02:04 PM
kusee pee
Burning Brakes

My oil gauge has the same problem. Pain in the ar'se. However, I'm going to live with it until someone provides a cheap solution.
Old 04-15-2007, 02:24 PM
YYC930
Three Wheelin'

Contact NORTH HOLLYWOOD SPEEDOMETER............I did a complete set of 965 gauges that were peeling and had them converted over to white faces as well, all for $350 USD plus freight. They will have your gauges for 3-4 days and ship them back to you via FEDEX.

http://www.nhspeedometer.com/
Old 04-15-2007, 02:59 PM
911addict
Three Wheelin'

That means I'd be without car for a week!!! Couldn't bear it, I'll have to wait until it needs to go in to a garage for a week for other work, then send off. I'd much rather just replace a single gauge face in situ....
Old 04-15-2007, 05:38 PM
graeme36s
Racer

there is a guy in wealdstone that I reckon can sort your problem. I gave the chap who has bought the tune up kit from the states a phone number for steve. steve will give you this chaps number. he does most of the porsche guages in the uk ie. with colour change to face. when I bought my Brabus SV12 from germany he made up the mph speedo mask for the car. very nice guy

Quick Reply: How easy to replace a gauge face?