964 Turbo Forum 1989-1994

NZ Porsche Club - SWOTY Event

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2007, 06:23 AM
turbo 3.6
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default NZ Porsche Club - SWOTY Event

Me and my partner have just got back home after attending the Porsche Club NZ's SWOTY, South-Island Weekend Of The Year.

We live in Wellington (at the bottom of the North Island) so we loaded the Pcar and ourselves aboard the Cook straight ferry on Friday lunch time and headed for Picton on the South Island (3-4 hour ferry ride)

Once docked in picton we had a nice 90 minute drive ahead of us through some of NZ's best wine/grape growing country with our final destination being Nelson, where we were to meet up with other club members for a weekend packed full of eating and drinking ....oh yeah...and a few miles behind the wheel, winding thru some of senic spots the Nelson Region has to offer.

There was a wide variety of Porsches, including 3 pristine 356's, pre-impact bumper 911's, a cool '73 RS clone (with a 3.6 964 engine on a motec) 2 930 turbos, a bunch of 964's including a cab, a 993 carrera, a couple of 996's, a couple of boxters, a sole 968 and one new Cayman. About 40-45 cars in total.

Mine was the only 965 :-(

Took the long/senic/bending way back to the Picton Ferry via the Queen Charlott Sounds
Attached Images        
Old 03-18-2007, 06:45 AM
nathanUK '81 930 G50
Race Car

Sweet.
Old 03-18-2007, 07:39 AM
kusee pee
Burning Brakes

Very nice, thanks for the piccies. What a lovely part of the world you live in, I'm jealous!
Old 03-18-2007, 03:56 PM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 589 Likes on 351 Posts

Looks like a great weekend. How tramatic is the ferry part of the journey for the car e.g clearances?
Old 03-18-2007, 08:18 PM
turbo 3.6
Racer

Originally Posted by John McM
Looks like a great weekend. How tramatic is the ferry part of the journey for the car e.g clearances?
Hi John,

Yes it was my first ever PCNZ event, and we really enjoyed it, different places and faces, and some cool cars.

Yeah always a little concerned with the car on the ferry, cars are packed in pretty close together, and you really pray that the people in front and behind you apply the Hand brake well and leave it in gear. Generally it is pretty sweet if it is a claim day. But when its rough it can get real nasty.

The Cook Straight can be one of the roughest pieces of water in the World. About 6 months ago the Ferry got stuck in a 9m+ swell, the crossing took 11 hours instead of the normal 3.5. A cattle truck tipped over and created a domino effect and piled all these camper vans into each other, 6 cars were so badly damaged that they could not be driven off!!

So yeah always a little worried

Quick Reply: NZ Porsche Club - SWOTY Event