964 Turbo Forum 1989-1994

New 964 3.6 added to the family

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2007, 09:04 PM
SA Mike
Thank You
Rennlist Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE=maverick]SA Mike Awesome car, I got mine from Ray also.
The Lone Star Region (Zone 5 PCA) is having a concours this Sunday in Rosenburg( just outside Houston) Its a low key concours topsides and interior only. if your looking to stretch her legs and show her we would love to see you.

Thanks. Doubt I could make it this weekend, but future events would be cool
Old 03-20-2007, 09:43 PM
PTurbo965
Team Owner

Received 1,654 Likes on 1,060 Posts

Here's another 3.6 turbo color that I saw this weekend at my mechanic's place -
Old 03-20-2007, 10:11 PM
SA Mike
Thank You
Rennlist Member

Sweet ride. Whats safe to use on the lip of the wheels. Something that will polish without damaging the Speedline Porsche script?
Old 03-20-2007, 10:51 PM
Luke
Nordschleife Master

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All I have to say is .... "wow"
Old 03-20-2007, 11:05 PM
melman911
Burning Brakes

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Very nice!!
Old 03-21-2007, 10:25 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,067 Likes on 1,242 Posts

Originally Posted by PTurbo965
Here's another 3.6 turbo color that I saw this weekend at my mechanic's place -

Wow that is nice. What color is that? It looks like a non metallic (marine) Blue. I have not seen any others in this color either.

I usually polish my wheels with something like P21 cleaner and then wax. I have a wheel wax I purchased from AJusa. Can't recall the name but it does a great job of keeping the brake dust off. If the inside of the wheel is very dirty Wurth Citrus degreaser straight out of the bottle will remove just about everything. I usually at a min of twice a year remove and polish my wheels.

Since this picture I learned that if I use a soft scrub brush and the Wurth Citrus it will easily clean even the dirt around the nuts. This is very important for full concours. They get you for brake dust every time.
Attached Images  
Old 03-21-2007, 10:49 AM
PTurbo965
Team Owner

Received 1,654 Likes on 1,060 Posts

I didn't talk with the owner about the color, but it is a non-metallic color. I haven't seen any this color on Rennlist. It is a real garage queen with less than 20K miles on it. It's a little dirty in the picture, but it is in perfect shape.

By soft scrub brush do you mean like boar's hair or something else? I'll google wurth citrus and see what comes up. I'd like to get the bolts on my wheels cleaner.
Old 03-21-2007, 10:55 AM
SA Mike
Thank You
Rennlist Member

Nice job. I just don't want ruin the wheel. Now if I remember right the lip portion of the wheel has a film on it or is it just polished steel? I heard that the Speedline Porsche script is delicate and might rub off if something harsh is used. Is this correct?
Old 03-21-2007, 11:27 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SA Mike
Nice job. I just don't want ruin the wheel. Now if I remember right the lip portion of the wheel has a film on it or is it just polished steel? I heard that the Speedline Porsche script is delicate and might rub off if something harsh is used. Is this correct?
Actually the inner barrel is cast aluminum along with the center. The outer lip is spun aluminum. Rather thick gage, durable but be careful they can bend. There is a clear lacquer on the outer lip. It is rather durable although can easily get scratched when changing tires. The speedline etching will only be an issue if you have the lacquer removed and polish the wheel. Dealing with the outer lip is no different than dealing with the clear on the paint. Caution should be used but there is no reason to be overly nervous when cleaning.

Any kind of natural hair brush so long as it is not too abrasive will work fine. Nylon will work but you chance putting fine scratches in the clear. Rule of thumb, if you wouldn't use it on your body don't use it on your paint.
Old 03-21-2007, 11:31 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

I actually know of a 928 GTS painted in this color. Only one I believe. I will check tonight to see what code it is. I am 90% sure it was a factory standard color just like signal green, although like some colors not ordered often. The special order paints are less common because the dealers weren't allowed to order them with a customer deposit. I think most were just supplied in the standard black, white or red as the dealers always knew those colors would sell.
Old 03-21-2007, 12:30 PM
SA Mike
Thank You
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by cobalt
Actually the inner barrel is cast aluminum along with the center. The outer lip is spun aluminum. Rather thick gage, durable but be careful they can bend. There is a clear lacquer on the outer lip. It is rather durable although can easily get scratched when changing tires. The speedline etching will only be an issue if you have the lacquer removed and polish the wheel. Dealing with the outer lip is no different than dealing with the clear on the paint. Caution should be used but there is no reason to be overly nervous when cleaning.

Any kind of natural hair brush so long as it is not too abrasive will work fine. Nylon will work but you chance putting fine scratches in the clear. Rule of thumb, if you wouldn't use it on your body don't use it on your paint.
Thanks. Didn't really know if was steel or something else. I used to use this stuff that comes in a silver can. It looks like cotton thats soaked in liquid. It worked well on the Tubi exhaust I used to have on my Esprit, but that was stainless steel. It went on wet then hazed and you simply wiped it off after that.
Old 03-21-2007, 12:59 PM
tjr
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE=PTurbo965]I didn't talk with the owner about the color, but it is a non-metallic color. I haven't seen any this color on Rennlist.

This car sold last year in the UK and was listed as Marine Blue - although they sold me my car and said it was Platinum Silver where as it is actually Zermatt Silver...

I had never seen it before and could be similar?

Old 03-21-2007, 01:24 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by SA Mike
Thanks. Didn't really know if was steel or something else. I used to use this stuff that comes in a silver can. It looks like cotton thats soaked in liquid. It worked well on the Tubi exhaust I used to have on my Esprit, but that was stainless steel. It went on wet then hazed and you simply wiped it off after that.

I know the stuff. I believe it is called Never Dull. It is good for Stainless or straight aluminum but would not use it on my wheels. I actually like Blue Magic better than Never Dull.

I think it might be Marine Blue I believe that was one of the colors offered that year.
Old 03-21-2007, 02:41 PM
asimler
Racer

I'm probably completely wrong here but many years ago when I first started looking for a turbo 3.6, the vast majority I saw for sale all seemed to be this colour and its was always described in the adverts as 'blue/black'.

Its a gorgeous colour in the metal and was exaclty what I wanted, but of course when I eventually bought none where for sale then.

Quick Reply: New 964 3.6 added to the family