Notices
964 Turbo Forum 1989-1994

How much difference gutting the wg pipe?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2007, 03:16 PM
Staffan
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by fritz k.
hi staffan,

on the exterior of the pipe you find some spotwelds. the baffle plate is fastened with these spotwelds in the pipe.
the easiest way to remove the baffle seems to me to cutt-off these spotwelds. problem is, you will have to close some holes on the tip..

fritz
Thank's Fritz I'll check these welds, hope I will be able to start working on this tomorrow.
Old 03-14-2007, 04:03 PM
Y65MPH
Pro

Staffan,

I had a piece of pipe made up to work of the waste gate. I had a set of tips custom made for the pipe and exhaust. See picture. This might be eaiser than destroying your pipe.

Craig

Last edited by Y65MPH; 12-26-2012 at 03:04 PM.
Old 03-14-2007, 05:42 PM
Colorado964turbo
Burning Brakes

Received 175 Likes on 104 Posts

I am back in town and can take a picture of the pipe off of my WG if you would like. I am wondering now if it is custom, or a normal peice from B&B.

Bill
Old 03-16-2007, 04:20 PM
Staffan
Burning Brakes

I gutted the wg-cat and tried the car out.
My overboost problem got better but the pressure switch is being activated on 2nd and 3rd gear on 6.000+ revs.

If I run the car without endpipe I have 0.92 - 0.94 bar at 6.000 which is acceptable from a boost perspective but it's very very loud. Is there a big difference in sound between running without endpipe vs. endpipe with no silencer?

I have to admit that I am a bit dissapointed, the reason I bought the B&B headers was that I thought I wouldn't run into these problems. Is there anything else I could do, is there anything that I missed?

As a last resort I will increase the back pressure after the turbo so that the turbo spools slower, but de-tuning my car is not what I want!
Old 03-16-2007, 05:28 PM
Colorado964turbo
Burning Brakes

It sounds like you are having the exact same problems I was having. Have you moved the pressure switch yet? I replaced my switch with a new one from the factory and it got better, but I was still having the overboost problem. So I crawled under the car and like a mental midget I had connected the hose from the intercooler to the top of the wastegate, not the side like it was suppossed to be. Once I moved the hose to the correct inlet on the Wastegate, my car has run flawlessly.

My B&B just has a straight dump pipe out the back with a matching tip.
Old 03-16-2007, 06:07 PM
Staffan
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by Colorado964turbo
It sounds like you are having the exact same problems I was having. Have you moved the pressure switch yet? I replaced my switch with a new one from the factory and it got better, but I was still having the overboost problem. So I crawled under the car and like a mental midget I had connected the hose from the intercooler to the top of the wastegate, not the side like it was suppossed to be. Once I moved the hose to the correct inlet on the Wastegate, my car has run flawlessly.

My B&B just has a straight dump pipe out the back with a matching tip.
Thanks for your support!
Yeah my pressure switch is at manifold, this is where I read pressure for my EBC as well.

I don't see that had connected something wrong at the wastegate, it has worked flawless for years and the car run fine on 4th and 5th gear.

Do you just run a straight pipe with no silencer on the wastegate side?
Isn't that really really loud?
Old 03-16-2007, 06:11 PM
Colorado964turbo
Burning Brakes

I didn't notice the problem in 4th or 5th (mostly because in 4th at 5000 RPM I would be doing go to jail fast, so I don't really drive that fast. I noticed it in 2nd and 3rd.

Yes, it dumps straight out the wastegate. It isn't that loud at all to be honest. I will see if I can get you a picture real quick.

Bill
Old 03-16-2007, 07:08 PM
Colorado964turbo
Burning Brakes

Ok here are some pictures, and now that I actually look at it, it looks somewhat custom or cobbled together. It works great though.
Attached Images   
Old 03-16-2007, 09:06 PM
maverick
Addict
Rennlist Member

Received 15 Likes on 10 Posts

I have a question. How do you know if you have boost creep? I have headers and no cats and a HF turbo, 1bar boost spring in stock waste gate.
Old 03-19-2007, 12:29 AM
lwilkins
Instructor

Here's an idea on how to test. Remove the detachable tip on the wastegate side. If the boost creep goes away, the tip is restrictive and you have to fix it. You shouldn't have much of an issue running without one, as the car is likely to be moving really fast when the wastegate opens up so the heat will be dissipated in the airflow and not melt your bumper.
Old 03-19-2007, 08:18 AM
tjr
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Colorado964turbo
Ok here are some pictures, and now that I actually look at it, it looks somewhat custom or cobbled together. It works great though.
FYI that looks exactly like my B&B WG tailpipe, so I imagine that's what it is.
Old 03-19-2007, 12:21 PM
Colorado964turbo
Burning Brakes

Cool, thanks tjr.
Old 03-19-2007, 06:09 PM
PorschePhD
Rennlist Lifetime Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You can't blame the headers, if the pipe letting the pressure out of the wastegate is restricting flow then the system can not vent properly. If removing the pipe settles everything down then the wastegate pipe is the issue not the headers.
Old 03-19-2007, 09:09 PM
dholling13
Burning Brakes

After a full weekend at VIR and 4 tanks of gas; I had zero over boost problems and some really fast sessions. I do have a B&B muffler bolted up to my High Flow, but only have a .8 bar spring. The car has B&B headers and the over boost switch in the right place (between the intake and the EZ69). This was the most fun I have ever had in a car...
Old 03-22-2007, 10:28 AM
Staffan
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by PorschePhD
You can't blame the headers, if the pipe letting the pressure out of the wastegate is restricting flow then the system can not vent properly. If removing the pipe settles everything down then the wastegate pipe is the issue not the headers.
Stephen, I don't agree fully with what you write.
I would buy a statement saying that the headers are designed for a free flow after the wastegate or with some back pressure after the turbo.

I don't want to start a blame war, just make sure that everyone knows what to expect. Running a straight pipe after the turbo and the stock wastegate muffler doesn't work, at least not the B&B headers I got.

I have the greatest respect for what you do Stephen, but if I knew this I wouldn't have bought these headers. I have been following this "boost creep" debate for years now and thought the problems where solved.

In the end I hope and think I will be fine, running the dump pipe works, but in order to have it pointing straight down I hade to cut away the heat exchanger pipe. If this turns out to be to loud I will install the stock wastegate pipe and drill holes in the muffler until the boost creep dissapere. I that gets to loud I will install something that create back pressure after the turbo.

Anyone interested in my test data and graphs let me know.

Quick Reply: How much difference gutting the wg pipe?