very annoying fan noise

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2007, 11:53 AM
Turbo Jonny
Rennlist Member

Received 80 Likes on 41 Posts
Default very annoying fan noise

My heater fan has a squeal noise i cant get rid of.My mechanic suggested
putting it on full speed and spraying WD 40 into air intake vent.I tried this smelly operation with no success ! The noise is mainly at lower fan speeds and always goes off if i put it on full speed.sometimes it will stop at the fans off setting but comes back on when i turn the steering anywhere near full lock ! Anyone else had this and solved it? Thanks ,

Demented driver , Jonny
Old 03-02-2007, 11:58 AM
dholling13
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Can you pull the motor out? If so, try applying white lithium grease onto the motor's shaft. Other than that, usually when something rattles in my cars, I try putting some sort of makeshif rubber grommet in between the two rattling components.
Old 03-02-2007, 01:47 PM
asimler
Racer

I had this - drove me nuts until I bit the bullet and had the 2 blower fans (under the windscreen) replaced. I believe the bearings just wear out with time and on the slower settings it more noticable. I know a lot of other people say its starts or gets worse on lock.. Sounds weird but maybe due to slight chassis flex affecting the fans somehow.

I think you have little choice but to replace them both unfortunately. Even if only one is squealing, the other soon will, and its quite a a bit of labour to get to them via the boot. I think the fans cost £400 each - sorry.
Old 03-02-2007, 02:08 PM
last toy
Burning Brakes

Wd doesn't work, but Lithium grease does if you can pull the blower. Common problem with blower bearings comes with time. had the same squeal problem with my 964 rear heater blower. The grease worked fine when sprayed directly on the bbearings. Noticed that the blower occassional makes the noise when the car is idle for long periods. If you can't pull the heater blower, try a viscous grease spray into the intake. I think auto zone sells sprayable grease. I've also used a silicone based lubricant that works pretty well for awhile.
Old 03-02-2007, 03:27 PM
Turbo Jonny
Rennlist Member

Thanks - i will try the sprays first !
Old 03-03-2007, 11:58 AM
nathanUK '81 930 G50
Race Car

I'm guessing the reason you get the noise on full steering lock is because the engine idle speed drops slightly and therefore there is a voltage drop in the system so the fans run slightly slower and they squeal.
Old 03-09-2007, 08:46 AM
Turbo Jonny
Rennlist Member

I ordered some lithium grease spray ( from 3 in 1 ) and have now had chance to try it. No success again , though it nicely freshened the smell of the cockpit !

So next i would like to pull the motor and spray it directly. Any instructions /links to this operation ? is it an easy job ?

cheers,

Jonny
Old 03-09-2007, 01:31 PM
JasonAndreas
Technical Guru
Rennlist Member

Received 112 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by Turbo Jonny
No success again , though it nicely freshened the smell of the cockpit !

So next i would like to pull the motor and spray it directly. Any instructions /links to this operation ? is it an easy job ?
Your mechanic should be shot or forced to sit in your car with the windows closed and the heat at full on a 100F day inhaling the fumes from the lubricant he told you spray into the heating vents! You don't want to remove the mixing chamber blower motors just the top cover and then directly spray the shaft and bearing at the back of the fan (not visible in the photo below) using a small straw on the end of your spray can of lubricant.

Old 03-09-2007, 02:30 PM
Turbo Jonny
Rennlist Member

Thanks Jason, there are two blowers and sods law mine is the one under the air con lines on the passenger side! See pics.I will try to get at it this w/e and lube it as you describe.
Attached Images   
Old 03-10-2007, 05:22 AM
Youcef
Addict
Rennlist Member

When I replced my evaporator I seem to recall the "inspection" covers on the L & R blowers was a slide in door held by one screw. I did the job a few months back, might be easier if you remove the tin with the sensors for the air bags running through it, it is an easy job and gives you more room to work. Seems Jason has left the tin in place from his picture, cant say correctly if the other side is as easy.

Quick Reply: very annoying fan noise