Notices
964 Turbo Forum 1989-1994

How low can you go without camber plates?

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2007, 01:55 PM
Ag02M5
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How low can you go without camber plates?

Going to be installing PSS9s soon.

Looking to lower 1 to 1.5" from stock.

Wondering at what point camber plates are needed to get a proper alignment.

Car is mostly street but driven rarely so an aggressive alignment is good.

Thanks.

Ryan

Or is it just that the camber plates are really needed if you want to make easy adjustments from street to track?
Old 02-14-2007, 03:24 PM
dholling13
Burning Brakes

Mine is lowered over 1 inch using bilstein shocks and h&r springs and I am running -.3 of camber. I believe stock specs are -.1 front and -.2 rear. Sorry, I can't answer your question on camber plates...
Old 02-14-2007, 04:51 PM
Staffan
Burning Brakes

You can dial in lots of camber without camber plates, so unless you are building a track only car you won't need them to get a proper alignment.

I was running -2.5 front and -2.0 rear with stock shocks and H&R lowering springs without camber plates. Changing camber affects toe so you won't go back and forth between track and street settings without a lot of work or serious equipment, camber plates or not.

I would recommend a -2.0 front and -1.5 rear camber if you run the car on the street and the track, I was running that for a couple of years and had good grip on the track and no problem with uneven tyre wear on the street.
Old 02-14-2007, 04:54 PM
Ag02M5
Three Wheelin'

Originally Posted by Staffan
You can dial in lots of camber without camber plates, so unless you are building a track only car you won't need them to get a proper alignment.
I was running -2.5 front and -2.0 rear with stock shocks and H&R lowering springs without camber plates. Changing camber affects toe so you won't go back and forth between track and street settings without a lot of work or serious equipment, camber plates or not.

I would recommend a -2.0 front and -1.5 rear camber if you run the car on the street and the track, I was running that for a couple of years and had good grip on the track and no problem with uneven tyre wear on the street.
Thanks!! Good info...glad I posed the question.

Now sway bars...if they could just be found.

Cheers.

RT
Old 02-14-2007, 04:59 PM
dholling13
Burning Brakes

I was running -1.8 front and -1.5 rear from a previous set up and the front tires only lasted 5-6k miles; we won't even discuss the rear mileage. I guess it's fine for the track; but for street use it's not ideal IMO for tire wear...
Old 02-16-2007, 05:21 PM
Staffan
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by dholling13
I was running -1.8 front and -1.5 rear from a previous set up and the front tires only lasted 5-6k miles; we won't even discuss the rear mileage. I guess it's fine for the track; but for street use it's not ideal IMO for tire wear...
I have been running -2.0, -2.5 and -3.0 front for 6 years now.
Last year was the first time I had problems with uneven tire wear after to lots of street driving with -3.0 front.
If your tires only lasted 5-6K miles there are other alignment issues for sure, there is NO WAY your tires would wear that fast with a proper alignment and -1.8 front.
Old 02-16-2007, 06:35 PM
dholling13
Burning Brakes

We'll soon find out; I am going to adjust it back to over -1.5 for the DE season...

Quick Reply: How low can you go without camber plates?