964 Turbo Forum 1989-1994

Air filter experience.

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2007, 10:30 AM
911addict
Three Wheelin'

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Air filter experience.

My car has just come back from its annual service. I wanted to try a K&N filter. The garage said it caused strange variations with the idle/ mixture, so they put in a new factory filter instead. But see my other post on fuel mixture in case this was the reason https://rennlist.com/forums/964-turbo-forum/324842-fuel-problem-again.html

On the drive home, I noticed I can hear the 'sucking' of the filter at high revs, whereas before I couldn't (sounds healthy). I guess that shows how our filters get blocked up over time.

Anyone else experienced similar issues with changing the airfilter?
Old 01-27-2007, 03:54 PM
Megatron-UK
Burning Brakes

Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts

Been running mine with a K&N since just after I got it. No problems with idle whatsoever.

Can't really understand what the garage seem to be talking about, tbh - it's just an element that goes in place of the original.

Unless you mean a K&N cone job that you replace the airbox with?
Old 01-27-2007, 04:27 PM
911addict
Three Wheelin'

I have in fact read that if the K&N is over-oiled it can cause all sorts of problems, mabe that's it.

btw, what's yours like, any noticeble improvements?
Old 01-27-2007, 04:38 PM
Y65MPH
Pro

Originally Posted by 911addict
I have in fact read that if the K&N is over-oiled it can cause all sorts of problems, mabe that's it.

Some of the oiled filters can cause some issues. I am using a Green filter and it is great.
Old 01-27-2007, 04:49 PM
rob964.c4
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the over-oiled could be a problem,
I've tried a K&N and now have a BMC filter works perfect or ok, no extra HP no extra sound.

robert
Old 01-27-2007, 05:25 PM
Megatron-UK
Burning Brakes

Received 48 Likes on 36 Posts

Seems to work ok. No problems with idle or throttle response. Only a few quid more expensive than an OE filter and I'll just clean it and re-oil for the next service. I've never had a problem with them on any of my cars tbh.

The 'Green' filters that Y65MPH mentions are also pretty good - they're not oiled like K&N, so don't have problems on those cars that use a hot wire based air flow meter; I had one on my 2 litre turbo mk1 MR2 - not a problem, and mega cheap too.

There was a little increase in induction noise when fitting the K&N, but nothing as intrusive as a cone filter or removing the airbox. The cat bypass is much, much louder (and the pops and bangs on downshifting and over-run are clearly from that - rather than anything the air filter is doing).
Old 01-27-2007, 06:50 PM
nathanUK '81 930 G50
Race Car

I found there was more induction noise on my 3.2 carrera when I changed the paper for a K&N element.
Old 01-27-2007, 11:42 PM
dholling13
Burning Brakes

The BMC filter kit on my turbo was noticibly louder under full boost load. Plus, I can actually get back there and work on the car! It too uses the K&N filter service kit comprised of cleaner and spray on oil...
Old 01-28-2007, 10:23 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,302 Likes on 1,361 Posts

I have used the K&N on my Porsche's since K&N came out with them. No major gains just easier than replacing as often as the paper. The problem with the K&N is improper oiling by the owner. Although I do not use them on my cars with hot wire.

I also drilled my air box which makes for an improved sound. I punched 7-1" holes on the bottom side. Hard to tell if it helped or hindered performance but it sounds better.
Attached Images  

Quick Reply: Air filter experience.