964 Turbo Forum 1989-1994

The verdict...

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2006, 09:43 AM
kusee pee
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default The verdict...

Just keeping you all updated following my attempts to acquire a 964t. Unfortunately the PPI was far from convincing when it came back. I've attached it so you can see what was found. In the inspector's words 'I wouldn't touch it with a bargepole, it's a bit of a dog'.

Naturally I've run away. Just need to ensure that my deposit is refunded.

Oh well, I'll keep on looking. And looking's half the fun I suppose.

Last edited by kusee pee; 04-14-2010 at 01:04 PM.
Old 10-25-2006, 10:47 AM
JRRSA
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 17 Posts

Another example of a PPI being well worth the investment. Good luck in your continued search. Take your time and find a good one. You will thankful that you did.
Old 10-25-2006, 11:54 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,067 Likes on 1,242 Posts

Wow!! Either he is very thorough or it was obviously a dog. Best to run and try again. I bet you learned a lot in the process and are now ready to find the right car.

Good Luck
Old 10-25-2006, 01:29 PM
jayhawk
Rennlist Member

Received 5 Likes on 2 Posts

yes a another example of the value of a PPI. Don't give up. There are good cars out there.. It took me about 7 months of serious looking to find my 965.
Old 10-25-2006, 02:08 PM
slownrusty
Rennlist Member

Received 335 Likes on 155 Posts

Do you have any pictures of the car that you can post, because I have a picture of beaten down piece of rubbish based on that summary...also how many miles are on this car?

What does "OSF and OSR" mean (Outside Front??)

Also how does:
1) "A Brake hose become weak and bulging"...they crack or corrode depending if steel or rubber....hmmm?

2) "FRONT STRUT TOP BUSHES SPLIT"...there are bushings in the Strut top? Never heard that

3) "HANDBRAKE TRAVEL HIGH" - EASY to fix that.

4) "ENGINE OIL TUBES ON NS BENT AND SEALED INTO CYLINDER HEAD", how do the engine oil tubes get bent??? Offroading? and obviously sealed into the head - right?

5) Did he install an aftermarket boost gauge to determine the boost was spradic? Thats the only way to know for sure.

I see some holes and discussion points in this report, sometimes these Mechanics fail to realize the car is used. Having said that and without seeing it the car does sound pretty bad....did you not see all these defects before paying for the PPI, a quick inspection by yourself would have revealed many of these deficiencies...somewhat puzzling.

Yasin
Old 10-25-2006, 02:56 PM
JBL930
Not Forgotten

OS means "off side" NS means "Near side", the near side is passenger side and off side is driver’s side, if that makes sense? Oh and obviously NSF means "near side front" and so on......

Surley the inspector must have a vague idea about Porsches if he new the air injection stuff had been removed?
Old 10-25-2006, 03:59 PM
Megatron-UK
Burning Brakes

Received 47 Likes on 35 Posts

Dog. You did right to walk away. I'd be willing to bet that it's had virtually nothing spent on it in the last 5 years.

There are plenty of left handers around (compared to the relative lack of right handers), so don't feel pressured to buy any one in particular.

There are some good private cars that come up on pistonheads.com now and again.
Old 10-25-2006, 04:52 PM
nathanUK '81 930 G50
Race Car

Brake Hoses are rubber, pipes are metal.

No comment about the ill fitting panels that I thought I could see. Various scrapes under the car ? Sounds like it has been off the road to me as well.

Who was the inspector ? Thanks for sharing.
Old 10-25-2006, 05:50 PM
kusee pee
Burning Brakes

Hi all. Thanks for the comments, I was pretty pleased with how thorough a job the inspector did. He said that in general the car had suffered from some really cheap maintenance work and a number of bodged jobs. You know, I don't believe that any Porsche should be treated to anything less than decent maintenance - it's such a false economy. It just disappoints that someone is happy to run a car like a 964turbo and not look after it. I did pick up on a number of the inspector's points on the day - particularly the rough running - but just hoped that the causes wouldn't be so bad...but hey!

PPIs - can't beat 'em. That's the 3rd 964 I've rejected on a PPI (2 happened when hunting for my 964C2). Worth the weight in gold. nathanuk, the inspector was booked through sportscarguides.co.uk - very good value and a quick service. I would recommend.

I'll keep hunting and keep you all posted!
Old 10-25-2006, 06:39 PM
schnele
Rennlist Member

Yasin off side and near side are Cricket terms, LOL. The brake lines can bulge, a function of old lines and repeated excessive heat like at the track, the lines have a degree of elasticity that is overcome and causes the line to fail.
Old 10-26-2006, 04:55 AM
asimler
Racer

Jesus, that PPI list is scary, what a shame previous owner(s) let the car get into such a state. Best of luck in the search.
Old 10-26-2006, 07:43 PM
nathanUK '81 930 G50
Race Car

Some poor sucker will end up buying it after getting the "chat" from the seller.
Old 10-27-2006, 04:57 AM
asimler
Racer

I'm not sure there is any real point in buying cars from dealers - there is always work that still needs to be done (often important stuff), the warranties (in my experience) are generally worthless and you pay a big premium for the privilege and a valet! reckon a good private buy is always better no matter how expensive the car - just my 2 cent rant
Old 10-27-2006, 05:14 AM
kusee pee
Burning Brakes

originally posted by asimlar
reckon a good private buy is always better no matter how expensive the car - just my 2 cent rant
Couldn't agree more. I have a huge and deep mistrust of dealers. And warranties. There's only one dealer in the SE UK I would trust all day long (pm me if you're interested, no affiliation) and I broke my golden rule by going to someone else to look at the turbo. Paid the price
Old 10-27-2006, 06:29 AM
911addict
Three Wheelin'

MY GOD!!!! What a list!

This would costs MANY thousands to rectify. Several of these things I had to put right after my purchase from a crap dealer in North of England (court case pending) but this PPI is even worse.

You must tell us where this car is advertised so that we can warn our contacts.

PS: Just seen your earlier thread, and guess this is the one:
http://www.dealer.autotrader.co.uk/22669/stockpage.htm

They are geographically near my dealer, interesting...

Quick Reply: The verdict...