Speedline Restoration

Search this Thread

Old 10-17-2006, 10:12 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Received 2,123 Likes on 1,275 Posts

Originally Posted by FastCarNut
Anthony,

Did you order the new wheels through a regular Porsche dealership or somewhere else? How long did you have to wait? What about cost? (if I may be so bold)

With all the potholes around here I've been thinking about a set for backup.

Thanks
Actually I had a friend who bought a set from the factory a few years back for a project that has yet to get underway. He needed the extra cash to finish the engine work and I decided to help him out. I don't need the new set as mine are in very good shape but not quite new. I was thinking of swaping them for mine and selling the ones on my car. A new set just recently sold on Ebay for $5105.55 + $180 shipping. If I can get that for the new ones I would sell them otherwise I might just try to sell mine or keep these as a back up set. I don't think they will ever loose value.

Originally Posted by JBH
Anthony:
Is that a weight on the outside of the wheel?
Sad to say yes. The PO had the dealership install the tires and they placed the weight right over the Speedline etch . I was very nervous it would be damaged but when I changed to the PS2's I had them place the weights on the inside only and I am very happy to say no damage was done. I also replaced the rubber valve stems with metal racing ones which make a big difference.
Old 10-17-2006, 05:55 PM
FastCarNut
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Please let me know if you ever decide to sell either set; I would like to put in a bid...
Old 10-18-2006, 07:08 AM
John McM
Rennlist Member

Received 590 Likes on 352 Posts

FWIW: Based on the FVD website prices it would appear that you could build a new front wheel for USD 1,474 and a rear for USD 1,340 [assuming the wheel hub they mention is a Speedline one].
Old 01-01-2007, 10:38 PM
PTurbo965
Team Owner

Received 1,654 Likes on 1,060 Posts

So I'm bringing this thread back from the dead because I'm a n00b and need some advice. I did search first.

The clear coat on my speedlines was damaged by some wheel cleaner with acid in it. I would like to get them back into top shape.

Any advice or explanation of my options?

Thanks.
Old 01-02-2007, 10:50 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Originally Posted by PTurbo965
So I'm bringing this thread back from the dead because I'm a n00b and need some advice. I did search first.

The clear coat on my speedlines was damaged by some wheel cleaner with acid in it. I would like to get them back into top shape.

Any advice or explanation of my options?

Thanks.

Congrats on the new purchase. How about some pictures and info about yourself and your car.

I am surprised that wheel cleaner even with acid in it damaged your clear coat on the wheels. Are you sure that was the problem? Pictures would better help to asses the problem.
Old 01-02-2007, 01:04 PM
PTurbo965
Team Owner

Cobalt - I haven't done a full intro post yet. I was planning on doing one and getting some new pics up. I did my first serious polishing of the car over the holidays, so it is looking great these days.

It's a 1994 3.6turbo, black metallic with black interior. I've had it for around 2yrs and it now has 33,000mi on it. I'll take some pics of the wheels if nothing else and get them up on the thread. I'm calling it "acid" in the wheel cleaner, but I dont know exactly what ingredient damaged the clear coat and left streaks in it. I do know that it was the wheel cleaner though.

I've had the wheels hand polished before and that pretty much made the streaks disappear, but that was a temporary fix and they were visible again after a short while.

Anyway, I'll get the pics up soon and see what you guys think.
Old 01-02-2007, 01:07 PM
JRRSA
Rennlist Member

Received 34 Likes on 17 Posts

Cobalt - I haven't done a full intro post yet. I was planning on doing one and getting some new pics up. I did my first serious polishing of the car over the holidays, so it is looking great these days.

It's a 1994 3.6turbo, black metallic with black interior. I've had it for around 2yrs and it now has 33,000mi on it. I'll take some pics of the wheels if nothing else and get them up on the thread. I'm calling it "acid" in the wheel cleaner, but I dont know exactly what ingredient damaged the clear coat and left streaks in it. I do know that it was the wheel cleaner though.

I've had the wheels hand polished before and that pretty much made the streaks disappear, but that was a temporary fix and they were visible again after a short while.

Anyway, I'll get the pics up soon and see what you guys think.
Welcome to Rennlist, looking forward to seeing your pics.
Old 01-02-2007, 03:48 PM
PTurbo965
Team Owner

I took some pics, but I had the resolution set too high on my camera, so now I keep getting the "file to large" msg when I try to upload. I'll try again later.
Old 01-02-2007, 06:23 PM
asimler
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

PTurbo965

try using IrfanView - its excellent and very easy to use IMO - should be a simple download

are you based in the UK by any chance?

regards
Anthony
Old 01-02-2007, 07:18 PM
nathanUK '81 930 G50
Race Car

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

http://www.irfanview.com
Old 01-02-2007, 09:33 PM
PTurbo965
Team Owner

Asimler - Thanks for the suggestion and I'm in the US. I retook the photos. It wasn't that I didn't have photo resizing software. They were just too big with the size limits here.

So here's my second try. I'll try to get pics of the whole car up soon.

Last edited by PTurbo965; 01-04-2013 at 01:31 AM.
Old 01-03-2007, 11:01 AM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

Asimler - Thanks for the suggestion and I'm in the US. I retook the photos. It wasn't that I didn't have photo resizing software. They were just too big with the size limits here.

So here's my second try. I'll try to get pics of the whole car up soon.

Ouch,

What ever it was looks like it damaged the clear coat. Have you tried using any polish to see if it is just on the surface or does it go through the clear? I have used some wheel cleaners on my wheels without any issue, this is a tough break.

I would try a polish and or some polish with a dab of Blue Magic to start. If this does nothing to improve the finish then you may need to strip and refinish or replace the outer lip.

Good Luck
Old 01-03-2007, 12:06 PM
PTurbo965
Team Owner

I've had them polished before and that made it almost impossible to see the damage that you see in those pics. It was a temporary fix though. When the wheels are clean, they still look great to 99.9% of people. It just bugs the hell outta me because I know about it and love the car.

What polish would you suggest for these wheels? What is the full name of Blue Magic? - so I can google it without having to wade through so much garbage.

I didn't find out the brand of what the guy used before when he polished them. I guess I could have him come back out again.
Old 01-03-2007, 12:09 PM
PTurbo965
Team Owner

I found the right Blue Magic. I haven't had enough caffeine yet today or something.
Old 01-03-2007, 12:45 PM
cobalt
Rennlist Member

I found the right Blue Magic. I haven't had enough caffeine yet today or something.

Just be careful with the Blue Magic. It is rather abrasive and you should make sure it never gets dry or it will damage the surface. I find if you take a 1" round dollop of liquid polish with a very small 1/4" dab of Blue Magic it will remove most stains and scratches on paint or clear coat. It is abrasive so you want to do this sparingly and small areas at a time, never allowing the mixture to dry. Once this is done apply a generous coating of wax to protect the finish. It is going to be a lot of work but worth it. I usually clean and wax my wheels twice a year. I guess no more wheel cleaner on those.

Good Luck

Quick Reply: Speedline Restoration