Notices
964 Turbo Forum 1989-1994

battery dead

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2006, 11:49 PM
Boeing 717

Received 264 Likes on 159 Posts
Default battery dead

Guys i went to start my car and the battery was totally dead, the car had sat for about 3 weeks, i dont know what caused it, but the battery i think is about 4 years old. Anyhow are there any other ramifications to a dead battery??? Ie. does is screw up any engine managements systems or emission systems???

Thanks
JERRY
Old 07-24-2006, 05:08 PM
Miles965uk
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

only the alarm system will drain it when its sat.

Probably a knackard battery.

Start the car and get a volt meter on it and rev. should charge up with the altnerator.

Otherwise just buy a new one. 4 years is normal to me.
Old 07-24-2006, 10:36 PM
last toy
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you don't drive it daily, get a plug in trickler charger ($50US). keeps the battery fresh and you don't have to worry about losing power. The Porsche accessories and system continues to pull down power even after the key is out. The alarm system, clock, some electronics that need power to stay current, etc. 3 weeks is a lot of down time for any battery. When you finally get it started, let it idle for 5 minutes and then drive it thru the gears with your normal shifting habits, all gears. make sure you do a little stop and go and then high acceleration at engine temp. That will reset your DME mapping again. No big deal.
Old 07-25-2006, 02:19 PM
Flachbau
Burning Brakes

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Boeing 717
Anyhow are there any other ramifications to a dead battery???
If you rely on the car's clock ... you're either going to be very early or very late to your next appointment
Old 07-27-2006, 01:26 PM
jeff91C2T
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Jerry, to answer your question. There should be no ramifications to your dead battery w/ the electronics or emissions equipment. The battery however will most likely never get a full charge back. Lead sulfation kicks in dramatically with a battery below 12 volts. I was discussing this with a battery engineer from Exide (work related thing) and once LS happens, it's unlikely to reverse the process. Some folks or marketing special chargers that pulse the battery that is supposed to help. We've tried it with limited success.

Good advice is to get a trickle charger. The 964 by design has a high draw at rest on the battery. There was also a recall on the clock (for high current draw) that could be your issue. Or there could have been some interior light left on ;-)

Are you in WA?
Old 07-27-2006, 06:15 PM
Boeing 717

Received 264 Likes on 159 Posts

Thanks for the replies, i will get a new batt and then a trickle charger.

JERRY
Old 07-30-2006, 12:42 AM
marcvip
Banned

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My battery drains out completely if the car is not driven for 1 week. I have a battery cutoff switch ...which I switch off when exiting the car....this solves the problem...

Quick Reply: battery dead